Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 Cox_ba12

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:42 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:14 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by roddie Yesterday at 3:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 2:23 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 Empty
Live on Patrol

CEF speed contest Design Discussions

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Mad Staggerwing

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:22 am

Nice thread, sad result.  Crying or Very sad 
Kit was actually bought by my son but he quickly lost interest and now claims it's mine.  Glad to have it but would have prefered if he had followed the dream.
Here's the picture I have as my desktop image.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 Stagge11

Probably my favorite civil aircraft.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Mad Re: CEF speed contest Design Discussions

Post  roddie Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:01 am

My bell-crank mount bushing/spacer had been on my mind.. as well as my lead-outs. The plastic spacer-disc under the bell-crank was a diameter that was too large.. and would not yield a 50/50 percentage up/down throw to the pushrod. It was more like 75% "up" and 25% "down" (where the pushrod would stop against the spacer-disc on down) I didn't like this.. even though I feel that "up" control is what I'm going to need more of... with my luck, it would be the opposite.

Furthermore.. my lead-outs where really short and barely extended past the wingtip in neutral... another "chancy" condition. If the model flew outboard tip-low... I could have issues with the lead-out terminations hitting the inboard wingtip.

I used a buffing wheel screw-mandrel on my Dremel, to turn-down the diameter of the spacer-disc against a sanding-block from 3/4" dia. to 9/16" dia. which cured that condition. It was the right time to bend-up a new set of longer solids... so I stepped up their diameter from .015" to .025" music-wire. A little more drag... but a LOT more durable.

Before the mod... you can see the issue with "down" limitation.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 4-1-1410

and after... with the reduced spacer-disc diameter and new neater solids.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 4-10-110
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 4-10-111
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 4-10-112

I also made a tank strap-mount to help with shimming out the rear of the tank if needed.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 4-9-1412
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 4-9-1413
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:10 am

Nice neat work, Roddie.
The weather is nice for the next few days until Tuesday, so tonight I'll get mine preflighted. I haven't cranked my engine in a couple of months, but what could go wrong, right. I'm going to try to fly it under the trees at the church yard, 42 foot lines in a 35 foot circle. lol! 

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:34 am

RknRusty wrote:Nice neat work, Roddie.
The weather is nice for the next few days until Tuesday, so tonight I'll get mine preflighted. I haven't cranked my engine in a couple of months, but what could go wrong, right. I'm going to try to fly it under the trees at the church yard, 42 foot lines in a 35 foot circle. lol! 

Shocked ..... Affraid or WOW! ..... that's funny Rusty!!! The stories of contestants flights are something that should start pouring in.. in a week or so, and I will surely post my report. Today is "Time to make the 42 foot line-set" day. Once that's done.. the plan is to throw an engine in the old Cox Cosmic Wind and hope it simulates a flight at speed... just to get me used to turning circles again... and maybe a trial vid.

I still need to find a "secluded" site to fly... I'm looking for an inactive/abandoned industrial park lot.. where there won't be any danger of having a little kid wander over to take notice.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:46 am

Today I've made the maiden flight. The planes flies well, a video was shoot, tomorow another test.
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Well done Rémy, you're 1 step ahead.

After running my engine on a "test stand", I mounted it today on the plane for some trial runs. Because the engine is fully enclosed, I just wanted to get the hang of it: filing with fuel is through a tiny hole. It's also good to know if bits will fall or shake off. For the first time, I tested my ram air intake. Just before running the engine, the wooden bracket of the intake pipe fell of and I fixed it in emergency with an electric wire. The plastic inlet pipe is made of that same useless Bic pen that I used the ink tube of. The pipe that goes to the back of the engine mount is a lemonade straw. Here is a video I took while the engine was running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1NzqJOa5I0&feature=youtu.be

Lieven

OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:47 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Well done Rémy, you're 1 step ahead.

After running my engine on a "test stand", I mounted it today on the plane for some trial runs. Because the engine is fully enclosed, I just wanted to get the hang of it: filing with fuel is through a tiny hole. It's also good to know if bits will fall or shake off. For the first time, I tested my ram air intake. Just before running the engine, the wooden bracket of the intake pipe fell of and I fixed it in emergency with an electric wire. The plastic inlet pipe is made of that same useless Bic pen that I used the ink tube of. The pipe that goes to the back of the engine mount is a lemonade straw. Here is a video I took while the engine was running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1NzqJOa5I0&feature=youtu.be

Lieven

Congratulations to both of you... I haven't run my engine in my airplane yet. I'm having some strange issues with my needle floating... I mean; I can see it turning while the engine is running. I installed a small rubber grommet in the cowl that the needle shaft will pass through snugly.. which I'm hoping will cure that condition. There may also have been some vibration in my test stand's engine mount, which could have contributed to it.

I really like the look of that ram-air snorkel Lieven!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 am

Nice Leiven she was screaming , was going to test mind yesterday but after I worked on the engine with the new seal on the red nva red backing plate and still would not run a constant rpm I just gave in for now and will stay with the sure start. mounting the engine was a real bitch one nut was so close to the fuse that I gave in tighten it up to wood and spot glued the other 3 will hold it Huh... . Need to work on the cg and redo the lead outs then test run engine on plane, I am going to use some 012 line I just got , I noticed the 020 braided line I got was lagging behine the 23 when I flew it , seem to be a lot of drag there Flying  Getback time for some country ham and eggs now Very Happy 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:45 am

Roddie , that tank mount looks good wish u would have thought of that before I got mine mounted  lol! I think I am going to start working on finding a better and easier way to mount the tank seems to be a on going problem with me rubber bands the right size with dowell mount sounds easy but I don't like the way it looks  Smile Tired w/ Coffee Read
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:56 pm

getback wrote:Roddie , that tank mount looks good wish u would have thought of that before I got mine mounted  lol! I think I am going to start working on finding a better and easier way to mount the tank seems to be a on going problem with me rubber bands the right size with dowell mount sounds easy but I don't like the way it looks  Smile Tired w/ Coffee Read

Hey Eric, There's a few alternate ways you could mount your tank.. but the dowels and rubber band method is going to give you the option of easily adjusting the tank angle. Looking at your P40Q photo (outboard view) I see small screw-eyes with wire attachment for your tank mount. You might be better off to remove those.. and move your tank forward; shortening-up the fuel line some. Is there room on your firewall to rotate the back-plate 90 degrees.. and drill a hole through the fuse for your needle shaft? As it is positioned currently.. the fuel in the line has to travel some distance.. and take an "S-turn"; down, in and up before it gets to the engine. Although this "may" work.. when you add the centrifugal force of high-speed flight into the equation.. there's a lot working against a reliable suction fuel flow there.

A good tank vibration insulator (along with a rubber-band mount..) is cutting a "pad" of the thin polyurethane filter-material that's used for window size air conditioners... (it's about 3/16" thick and very spongy) and put it in between your tank and the fuse. If you need to shim the rear of the tank.. it's just a matter of pulling the tank away from the fuse.. and sticking thin scraps of balsa between. The rubber-bands will hold it all in place.

As far as the "red high-flow back-plate" is concerned... (is that the one you are having trouble with?) I had my own share of difficulties getting that to run reliably on a suction/hard-tank arrangement... and I'm still not sure if I'm "out of the woods" yet... I had luck with increasing to a large size fuel line.. not larger.. LARGE! I accomplished that by cutting some short (1/4" long) sleeves of slightly smaller metal tubing.. and twisting the ends of the fuel-line into the sleeves.. which compresses the line down small enough to fit on the smaller nipples on the spray-bar and tank feed-tube. Combine this with a reliable seal on the needle... and you may have some luck. Also.. (something we can both try...) running an air-flow restrictor between the back-plate and firewall. I know this defeats the purpose somewhat.. of having a "high-flow" back-plate... but if you're running on "suction alone"... this will increase the air-flow's velocity while decreasing the volume... which may in combination; promote enough fuel draw.

If you think your reedie screams now?... put that red back-plate and the SPI Tee Dee cylinder/piston on it while trying those mods. When that connecting-rod broke on you, it was a fluke. Pick up a rod resetting tool if you don't have one already... and check the ball-socket fit regularly when running near or over 20K rpm's... and reset the fit if/when it feels loose. This is where rod failures usually happen.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:04 pm

Hope this is OK I had to get some weight in the rear and thought I can remove this if I do decide to put a pee wee on it after the race Very Happy   CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 Wp_20109 Solider ball 10 grams brings me to about 5 oz. now , ready to fix the 42 ft. lines  Airplane 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:01 pm

I keep seeing and hearing that you guys are coming in nose heavy. Mine was tail heavy, and I had to put in some nose weight. Of course, the full sized plane I modelled had a huge radial, so going scale on the dimensions probably didn't help.

The Heavy Up Front Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:04 pm

getback wrote:Hope this is OK I had to get some weight in the rear and thought I can remove this if I do decide to put a pee wee on it after the race Very Happy    Solider ball 10 grams brings me to about 5 oz. now , ready to fix the 42 ft. lines  Airplane 
That should be okay. Or you could try flying nose heavy. Looks like you have plenty of UP deflection.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:41 pm

no empty reel? improvise.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 34 4-14-110
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:50 pm

RknRusty wrote:
getback wrote:Hope this is OK I had to get some weight in the rear and thought I can remove this if I do decide to put a pee wee on it after the race Very Happy    Solider ball 10 grams brings me to about 5 oz. now , ready to fix the 42 ft. lines  Airplane 
That should be okay. Or you could try flying nose heavy. Looks like you have plenty of UP deflection.
Rusty
I think that using to much up to keep straight will cause a lot of drag!!! and slow the plane down? Huh... 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:58 pm

You're exactly right about that. But you could use trim flights, test flights while you get used to flying the plane, as you adjust the CG further aft. By the time you find it, you'll be all spun up for rocket speed circle turning.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Rusty that's funny your right but to be honest I hope my first cycle will be the one to count  lol!  I am pretty sure we will get aloft with end 3 ft. test ran the engine today kept wanting to run backwards ? hell I put a starter spring on to get it some help , but still wanted to, the more fuel I gave it the better .    Well I was by myself and only have two hands still Sad  5x40prop 18-19 rss. I am just glad the engine didn't fly off  Very Happy  Now all I need is a god calm afternoon ...tomorrow ?!!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:38 pm

getback wrote:...test ran the engine today kept wanting to run backwards ? hell I put a starter spring on to get it some help , but still wanted to, the more fuel I gave it the better...
Eric, try compression bumping to start it. You might have better luck kicking it off forward. If it's over primed, all bets are off.

For anyone who isn't used to compression bumping, prime the exhaust with the piston covering the ports, rotate the prop in the normal running direction until you feel resistance, then haul off and whack the prop backwards( but don't purposely force it through TDC, or it will start backwards again). It'll free rotate until it hits compression and fire off in the right direction. It helps to have the prop tightened so the blade you whack is about 2:00 to 3:00.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:59 pm

I'll second Rusty's comments.

Sounds like you have a little too much fuel in the cylinder. Your starter spring should always get it going in the right direction.

Maybe a turn or two leaner.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:59 pm

Thank , Rusty, Ron , The over prime could be correct and the other reason for the spring is the cowling was in the way of flipping (too close to nose) but it will bee Ok and I really like the 5x4 prop a lot of air coming off that baby I just hope from what I have read it want top out and start to surge In air, but at least I shouldn't pop the engine and that will bee good . Ever since I broke the rod in that TD I was running I have gotten ... scared  Affraid or WOW! 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:05 pm

JIM I am sure some people have posted there entry videos ?? come on give us an idea of what kind of speed were up against ...rained today as Rusty said and back to the 50s will have to wait it out and hope the after storm wind want last long  Biplane Thanks Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:13 pm

getback wrote:JIM I am sure some people have posted there entry videos ?? come on give us an idea of what kind of speed were up against ...rained today as Rusty said and back to the 50s will have to wait it out and hope the after storm wind want last long  Biplane Thanks Getback

Here's the thread, GB. No one has posted an official yet. I hope to fly mine Thursday. If not then Friday evening before the Sun sets, 6 hours before the deadline.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6567-cef-reed-speed-official-video-entries

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:39 pm

RknRusty wrote:
getback wrote:JIM I am sure some people have posted there entry videos ?? come on give us an idea of what kind of speed were up against ...rained today as Rusty said and back to the 50s will have to wait it out and hope the after storm wind want last long  Biplane Thanks Getback

Here's the thread, GB. No one has posted an official yet. I hope to fly mine Thursday. If not then Friday evening before the Sun sets, 6 hours before the deadline.

Rusty

Don't forget.. you have to "PM" Jim with your official vid (using url code only). There shouldn't be any official flights on a public CEF thread yet. (see the OP in the above link)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:46 pm

roddie wrote:
RknRusty wrote:

Rusty

Don't forget.. you have to "PM" Jim with your official vid (using url code only). There shouldn't be any official flights on a public CEF thread yet. (see the OP in the above link)
Oh...NEVERMIND

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:58 pm

yea yea  got all that  Smile  lol!  just digging to see if any judging or time MPH are out that we could just get an idea of what we are looking at ....That's OK just eating pizza again !! I am sure I like breakfast the best (at home that is)  Thumbs Up Thanks you from the want to get it over with Eric , just want to move along .... back to the build , going to need some glue on maiden I am thinking! Shucks'  this suppose to be the fun part  Smoking while I was out  Computer Issues 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next