Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What the heck is this cylinder from? Cox_ba12

What the heck is this cylinder from? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 8:23 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What the heck is this cylinder from? Empty
Live on Patrol

What the heck is this cylinder from?

Go down

What the heck is this cylinder from? Empty What the heck is this cylinder from?

Post  G.O. Stang Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:35 pm

I've researched as much as I can and can't really come up with anything conclusive. It came on an engine I disassembled for parts. It's a later thin slit exhaust cylinder. But here's the thing, the top fin isn't milled. So there's no real good way to tighten it. The only way to tighten it is to tighten it and the glow plug and the cylinder at the same time, but this usually leaves removing the glow plug a pain because the cylinder tends to come with it! It's a dual bypass cylinder with no spi(that I can tell). It's just crazy to think this was made with no way to actually install it properly. I usually have to use a rag and pliers to separate it and the glow plug. The previous owner obviously had the same issue, hence the pliers marks you see. What's it from? Or rather what IS it?

What the heck is this cylinder from? 2BE55BC5-F5FE-42D9-89D4-CD367579A87D
What the heck is this cylinder from? 2874AD32-96D8-4F24-B471-54EAF8F5C7C4
What the heck is this cylinder from? 443B2A32-748C-4C23-A6BC-BD1C782CCBAE
G.O. Stang
G.O. Stang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

What the heck is this cylinder from? Empty Re: What the heck is this cylinder from?

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:46 pm

I think it's a sure start cylinder. Nothing overly special. I have several of those and if I ever use them I will grind flats into it.

Not sure why they were designed that way, but they are a pain like you mentioned.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What the heck is this cylinder from? Empty Re: What the heck is this cylinder from?

Post  Jason_WI Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Twin exhaust slit with the unmilled top fin are somewhat rare especially if they don't have any plier marks. Not sure why this was done. Possibly an oversight.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  G.O. Stang Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I think it's a sure start cylinder. Nothing overly special. I have several of those and if I ever use them I will grind flats into it.

Not sure why they were designed that way, but they are a pain like you mentioned.

Possibly an Estes money saving technique? It's definitely not a good design. You practically have to destroy the thing to remove it.
G.O. Stang
G.O. Stang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:02 pm

I think these date to the mid/late 70's IIRC. I think these came out after the mesh/stainless slit cylinders that are somewhat rare. Maybe Mudhen or Mark knows more.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:42 pm

I'm not really sure, I guess because I have more interest in the older stuff I've collected more info. I know the dual slit type exhaust came out late in '78. It does look like a dual port? Is there a number on it?

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  G.O. Stang Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:I'm not really sure, I guess because I have more interest in the older stuff, I've collected more info them. I know the dual slit type exhaust came out late in '78. It does look like a dual port? Is there a number on it?
No number at all. It's truly and oddball cylinder.
G.O. Stang
G.O. Stang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:38 am

I have notes on this cylinder somewhere. Its a late 70s deal, something from the Leisure Dynamics days.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:34 pm

While trying to identify a motor I have I came across this thread. The cylinder appears very similar to the one being discussed, twin slot with twin bypass, no SPI, no wrench flats and complete with plier marks. My knowledge on Cox engines is extremely limited (emphasis on extremely). I have been through the Cox Engine Handbook and I am unable to find a match. Any idea what model it is? Cheers Dave

What the heck is this cylinder from? Cox_tw10
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:26 am

I've got 2 of them, both on Babe Bees and I'm sure that the engine I had on my Cox F-15 CL plane had such a cylinder as well.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks Lieven. I'll hunt through the site to see what I can find about the anodising. The only black motors I've seen so far are in the killer and widow line.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Dave, you might have misunderstood. I got 2 of those slit cylinders without flats. Not that black engine you showed. The crankcase, is that anodised or painted? On the picture it looks so shiny.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  G.O. Stang Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Davenz13 wrote:Thanks Lieven. I'll hunt through the site to see what I can find about the anodising. The only black motors I've seen so far are in the killer and widow line.

That looks like it could have been a Banana. If not, it's probably just an engine assembled from parts someone had lying around.
https://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/banana-049
G.O. Stang
G.O. Stang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Don't you hate it when you type a long winded reply, hit the send button and it just disappears into the void that gobbles them up never to return. Oh well start again
I thought, since I had a complete engine with the same type of barrel as being discussed, it might help and also identify the engine I have as to what model or fitment. I bought it about a month or so ago for a few dollars so if it's a lemon no big deal. Most recommend denatured alcohol as a cleaner but nobody here has heard of it so I googled it to find it is also known as methylated spirits which every service station, hardware store, supermaket etc stocks and I have heaps of it my workshop. The engine has been soaking in meths (what we call it down here) for a couple of days and has had a brush and clean which is probably why it's shiny wow we just had a faily substantial earthquake, I was waiting for the crash of breaking stuff but all seems ok though a bit of stuff on the floor. First reports are saying 6.9 about 40 miles away. Maybe I'm not supposed to finish this post.
Anyway moving on It looks like anodising to me and it''s probably a bitsa but I'll stick it on the shelf with the others where it can take it's chances with the next shake. (I'm going to cut and paste this just in case it disappears again)
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:27 pm

I have cylinders without the milled flats for the wrench too. If it unscrews off the case when trying to remove the plug.. just take it off with the plug... obtain a piece of (3/4" i.d.) automotive heater hose or garden hose.. about 2" long and slip it over the cylinder and grip it with slip-joint pliers. It works very well... and you won't have any plier marks on your cylinder.

Roddie

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:32 am

Wrapping the cylinder with an old leather belt 2 times then pliers to remove works too. This is what I use on these cylinders.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  G.O. Stang Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Just ran into another one. Has zero plier marks because it's never been removed(except by me). I used a rag folded over twice and then again to surround the cylinder. Then channel locks and some muscle. Still mark-less(excep for a scratch from what I suspect was from a starter spring based on the location. Is this an estes black widow? Or did they have a specific cylinder they used?
What the heck is this cylinder from? 1407FD39-82B1-4B7B-B6D7-D397A063DA13
G.O. Stang
G.O. Stang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down