Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in. Cox_ba12

Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 11:36 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in. Empty
Live on Patrol

Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in.

Go down

Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in. Empty Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in.

Post  Mad monkey Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 am

Hey all

I would just like to ask some questions about cox 049 engines, mainly just tee dees so here it goes.

1: what is the best comical fuel for this engine?
2: what's the best propeller , would a 6x3 2-blade or 5x3 3- blade prop be any good?
3: what is a good starting point on the needle valve?
4: how could I assure this engine has a long life?
5: how much fuel can they go through before they wear out?
6: i have a spare diesel conversion head for a cox 049, could this engine take it or will it brake the crank shaft? I'm asking because i love diesels.

I got this engine from eBay in good condition and lightly used. If he said never been run i would have believed him.

In my opinion cox engines are great, i just want to look after this one.

I would also like to build a plane for it out of corrugated plastic, the kind of plane i would like is a pylon racer so if i could get dimensions or a link to some plans it would be great.
Anonymous
Mad monkey

Back to top Go down

Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in. Empty Re: Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in.

Post  microflitedude Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:20 am

Here are some quick answers to your questions.

1. Generally speaking, the best fuel for Cox engines is Sig Champion 25%.   http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGCF001.html

2. For a TeeDee .049, you will want to run a properly balanced 5x3.

3. Every engine is different. Make sure the venturi is clean, start at 3 turns out, and work your way from there.

4. Take good care of it. Always use proper fuel, don't run it too lean, use after run oil, don't over tighten parts, keep it away from dirt, etc.

5. A cox engine running on good fuel under normal conditions should run indefinitely. High performance engines that run faster and put more stress on core parts will have a shorter life. Don't forget to perform routine maintenance, which is simpler on a TeeDee. Clean it out and check the head gasket basically.

6. A diesel conversion head will break an ordinary Bee crankshaft because the pressure and diesel "knock" are too much for it to handle. Heavy duty .049 Bee cranks can be purchased online here - http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-killer-bee-diesel-crank.html  I'm not sure about the TeeDee crank, someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Lastly, the internet is a stockpile of quite literally millions of airplane plans. Just do a quick Google search and see what you come up with. Coreflute is popular with R/C delta type planes.

Hope I could help.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in. Empty Re: Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in.

Post  microflitedude Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:32 am

Also, these two vendors have an impressive amount of OEM and aftermarket replacement parts for all sizes of Cox engines.

http://www.exmodelengines.com/

http://coxengines.ca/
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Questions on a cox tee dee 049, and a good plane to put it in. Empty questions on cox tee dee 049,and a good plane to put it in.

Post  mad monkey Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:50 am

you sure did help. thank you.           so i will use a 5x3 prop and sig 25.      i am just curious about the diesel conversion because theirs only one crank you can buy and i like diesels but i probably wont bother as it wont do it any good and defeats the point of a tee dees high performance.       from what i read you can tune a tee Dee to run at 24,000 rpm but ratals out the con-rod/piston ball linkage so when top rpm is achieved by how much should i richern it.  also what is th fuel consumption of this engine.                          Thanks again.    Ben.D
Anonymous
mad monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down