Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Diesel Conversions Cox_ba12

Diesel Conversions Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Diesel Conversions Empty
Live on Patrol

Diesel Conversions

Go down

Diesel Conversions Empty Diesel Conversions

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:11 am

Can I ask for people's opinions on the various diesel conversions available for the .049?

I have a couple of SureStarts lying around and I am considering fitting a diesel conversion and heavier crankshaft to at least one of them, since a true diesel .8cc is, as far as my finances go, totally out of the question!
I know very little about the conversions, do they have a true contra-piston, and if so, how do you get a close enough fit in the cylinder for them to work? How easy to start is the engine thus equipped?
I've read Kim's message here about his conversion, and note that he had trouble starting it, having to resort to an electric starter(!) and that it then stopped "of it's own accord", which has me wondering.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Diesel Conversions Empty Re: Diesel Conversions

Post  Kim Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 am

Hey Wilf !

The Davis conversion is designed ready to go on the cylinder. It's contra piston is sealed with a Teflon disc which is apparently the weakest park of the set-up, and so it pays to have spares.

I highly suspect that my fuel may have been the culprit in my starting problems, and have ordered some new stuff from Mr. Clutton. Once I get it, and as soon as time lets me, I'm gonna put the Diesel conversion back on the stand and have another go at it.

It's also important to keep in mind my severe amateur status with these things. Someone like nitro might have had it up and cranking in seconds. Plus, I still don't have the whole mixture/compression relationship figured out, but intend to keep trying!

Later ! Diesel Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:58 am

Kim wrote:Plus, I still don't have the whole mixture/compression relationship figured out, but intend to keep trying!

Later ! Diesel Kim

When you get that lined out, please let me know. More compression, less compression, leaner, richer --- what to do, where to go? KEEP me informed.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:15 am

Ivanhoe wrote:Can I ask for people's opinions on the various diesel conversions available for the .049?

I have a couple of SureStarts lying around and I am considering fitting a diesel conversion and heavier crankshaft to at least one of them, since a true diesel .8cc is, as far as my finances go, totally out of the question!
I know very little about the conversions, do they have a true contra-piston, and if so, how do you get a close enough fit in the cylinder for them to work? How easy to start is the engine thus equipped?
I've read Kim's message here about his conversion, and note that he had trouble starting it, having to resort to an electric starter(!) and that it then stopped "of it's own accord", which has me wondering.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Wilf

Wilf the heads arr essentially glow heads that have been drilled out and the element replaced with a threaded whole for the comp screw then the contra is a disk.
Thts how all the heads on the Market go.
But the heads that are sold by Davis and Bernie use a coined gasket in between the glow head gasket and head I HATE these so I make them out of aluminium from cans.
Or there is the mecoa type that use an "O" ring around the contra thus eliminating the need for a countergasket (both are use to get a sela bit the Teflon gaskets are prone to rupturing)
Then there is the Norvel branded heads that use neither just a well fitting brass contra piston that expands so it has a tight fit.
I have tried "O" rings and counter gaskets and I can say the former is the better.
Or make your own!
I need to get my act together and write a "How to make a diesel conversion" thread
Indra.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:23 am

andrew wrote:
Kim wrote:Plus, I still don't have the whole mixture/compression relationship figured out, but intend to keep trying!

Later ! Diesel Kim

When you get that lined out, please let me know. More compression, less compression, leaner, richer --- what to do, where to go? KEEP me informed.

andrew

Hi Andrew, virtually all of what I call my "Previous Modelling Life" that is before the 40-odd year gap until I returned to the fold, was spent cranking diesels, the "compression/mixture" thing is something that really only comes with experience, I always start by opening the needle to roughly the right setting, backing the compression right off, then advancing it steadily while I flick the prop, you can feel when the engine is about to fire,(or hydraulic!) so a little bit more compression and away it should go. If you can't get an even run by altering the compression you change the needle exactly as you would a glow, but then you have to compensate with the compression setting. With a good diesel you normally never need to touch the needle again once it's set, all starting is done with the compression. A word of warning about "Hydraulicing" flood a diesel and it will lock up solid, this, as many others have said, can damage a small engine, but, in my experience the worst part it that when the prop locks, your finger slides up a usually quite sharp bit of plastic! Sand the edges off those props, I still have scars to this day!

Wilf

Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:31 am

Ivanhoe wrote:
andrew wrote:

Later ! Diesel Kim

andrew

Hi Andrew, virtually all of what I call my "Previous Modelling Life" that is before the 40-odd year gap until I returned to the fold, was spent cranking diesels, the "compression/mixture" thing is something that really only comes with experience, I always start by opening the needle to roughly the right setting, backing the compression right off, then advancing it steadily while I flick the prop, you can feel when the engine is about to fire,(or hydraulic!) so a little bit more compression and away it should go. If you can't get an even run by altering the compression you change the needle exactly as you would a glow, but then you have to compensate with the compression setting. With a good diesel you normally never need to touch the needle again once it's set, all starting is done with the compression. A word of warning about "Hydraulicing" flood a diesel and it will lock up solid, this, as many others have said, can damage a small engine, but, in my experience the worst part it that when the prop locks, your finger slides up a usually quite sharp bit of plastic! Sand the edges off those props, I still have scars to this day!

Wilf

Yep IMO the two worst props (sharp edges) are tha APC props and the ones that the bambi came with.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:33 am

Wilf the heads arr essentially glow heads that have been drilled out and the element replaced with a threaded whole for the comp screw then the contra is a disk.
Thts how all the heads on the Market go.
But the heads that are sold by Davis and Bernie use a coined gasket in between the glow head gasket and head I HATE these so I make them out of aluminium from cans.
Or there is the mecoa type that use an "O" ring around the contra thus eliminating the need for a countergasket (both are use to get a sela bit the Teflon gaskets are prone to rupturing)
Then there is the Norvel branded heads that use neither just a well fitting brass contra piston that expands so it has a tight fit.
I have tried "O" rings and counter gaskets and I can say the former is the better.
Or make your own!
I need to get my act together and write a "How to make a diesel conversion" thread
Indra.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, Indra, it's the whole contra piston thing that was foxing me, yes I'm sure that, with access to a precision lathe, and the necessary skill, making a diesel conversion would be easy enough, unfortunately I have neither!
Norvel sounds the nearest to a "true" diesel, and no doubt costs the proverbial arm and leg!
I may have to re-think this whole idea!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:40 am

nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:59 am

The price for the NORVEL head is buried on the parts section: $24.95

By the way, APC stands for: Awfully Painful Cut
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:31 am

I was about to say what Andrew has above, the Norvel is $24.95, I've sent them a message to ask if it will fit a Cox, waiting on reply now

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:43 am

"I need to get my act together and write a "How to make a diesel conversion" thread
Indra."

YES YOU DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:44 am

andrew wrote:The price for the NORVEL head is buried on the parts section: $24.95

By the way, APC stands for: Awfully Painful Cut
++++++++++++++ Right ON !!!! Testify Brother !!!! +++++++++++++
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:

I was about to say what Andrew has above, the Norvel is $24.95, I've sent them a message to ask if it will fit a Cox, waiting on reply now

Wilf

Just heard back from Norvel, they assure me that their head does fit the Cox 049, I must admit it looks the best engineered of those I've seen so far, a lot will depend on how much they want to ship it here!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:

Wilf

Just heard back from Norvel, they assure me that their head does fit the Cox 049, I must admit it looks the best engineered of those I've seen so far, a lot will depend on how much they want to ship it here!

Wilf

Well i doubt it will be too much, they are based in easter europe, and how much does a head weigh?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:02 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:

Wilf

Wilf

Well i doubt it will be too much, they are based in easter europe, and how much does a head weigh?

Hey Nitro!

When you do start your Conversion Info Page, maybe consider cutting and pasting your update and responses as an "Edit" to your original post? Don't know if it's practical, and will be a little more work, but this would keep the new information in one up front spot for review.

Looking forward to your ideas! Also, you have used an aluminum disc to replace the teflon one in the Davis conversion ?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:29 pm

"Well i doubt it will be too much, they are based in easter europe, and how much does a head weigh?"

Yes, I see they are Russian, with everything priced in US$! don't they trust the Ruble?
They want $9.99 shipping to here, which I suppose isn't too bad, although, as you say, how much does a head weigh, and how much packing does it need? they'll probably just throw it in a Jiffy bag!
Of course I also have to take into account an upgraded crank, again plus shipping, so all in all it had better piggin' work!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Kim:Yes i use aluminium.
Wilf I ran my .049 conversion on the stock crank with no problems.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Diesel Conversions Empty Diesel

Post  dankar04 Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:25 am

If you want to run a Diesel, then buy a Diesel. I love Cox engines and would never convert one to Diesel. Buy conversion parts etc plus the engine itself. I bought a PAW .061 B/R and its made to run and powerful little engine. They sell it RC or UC. It is new bought from a dealer on ebay at $76.00+ 10.00 postage. It has ball bearing and it will hold up for mucho amount of time. By all means do what you like but just an idea. Larry Renger is big Cox expert and his Diesels are PAW. Made in UK so Euro's should not have problem getting them.
Now to die-hard Cox Diesel's users if they work thats fine. Some modified head with teflon disk sounds bogus to me. Diesel's have true conta-piston that is fitted to engine. Not a converted glow plug head.
Dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:48 am

dankar04 wrote:If you want to run a Diesel, then buy a Diesel. I love Cox engines and would never convert one to Diesel. Buy conversion parts etc plus the engine itself. I bought a PAW .061 B/R and its made to run and powerful little engine. They sell it RC or UC. It is new bought from a dealer on ebay at $76.00+ 10.00 postage. It has ball bearing and it will hold up for mucho amount of time. By all means do what you like but just an idea. Larry Renger is big Cox expert and his Diesels are PAW. Made in UK so Euro's should not have problem getting them.
Now to die-hard Cox Diesel's users if they work thats fine. Some modified head with teflon disk sounds bogus to me. Diesel's have true conta-piston that is fitted to engine. Not a converted glow plug head.
Dan

I beg to differ.
Converted cox engines are great for most high wing scale applications and vintage FF models.
Also just making these things run on a different fuel is interesting.
I run converted engines and meant to be diesels.
The pee wee .020 is the most succesful one yet.
I am currently trying to get a tee dee .010 to run as a diesel and am waiting for a response from RON Valentine about cranks.

nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:46 pm

dankar04 wrote: Some modified head with teflon disk sounds bogus to me. Diesel's have true conta-piston that is fitted to engine. Not a converted glow plug head.
Dan

Ah, but the Norvel conversion I'm going to use DOES have a proper contra-piston, no Teflon disks, O-rings or anything else.
The point is, if I do a conversion I already HAVE most of the engine, Norvel's conversion is $24.95, and for those of us on a strictly limited hobby budget that makes it affordable, I'd much rather get a "real" .8cc (.049) diesel, but I can't justify the cost.
All of my early aeromodelling years were spent using diesels, glows took a long time to catch on over here, and I would LOVE to get hold of an old Frog 80 to re-live my youth, but the last I saw on EBay went for getting on for $100 and it wasn't a very good example!

Wilf

Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:
dankar04 wrote: Some modified head with teflon disk sounds bogus to me. Diesel's have true conta-piston that is fitted to engine. Not a converted glow plug head.
Dan

Ah, but the Norvel conversion I'm going to use DOES have a proper contra-piston, no Teflon disks, O-rings or anything else.
The point is, if I do a conversion I already HAVE most of the engine, Norvel's conversion is $24.95, and for those of us on a strictly limited hobby budget that makes it affordable, I'd much rather get a "real" .8cc (.049) diesel, but I can't justify the cost.
All of my early aeromodelling years were spent using diesels, glows took a long time to catch on over here, and I would LOVE to get hold of an old Frog 80 to re-live my youth, but the last I saw on EBay went for getting on for $100 and it wasn't a very good example!

Wilf

WIlf I will keep my eye out for .8cc diesels.
What is you max price?
I think I may be able to find one for you.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down