Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Pushrods:  Sullivan "Golden Cables" Cox_ba12

Pushrods:  Sullivan "Golden Cables" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 11:36 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Pushrods:  Sullivan "Golden Cables" Empty
Live on Patrol

Pushrods: Sullivan "Golden Cables"

Go down

Pushrods:  Sullivan "Golden Cables" Empty Pushrods: Sullivan "Golden Cables"

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:31 am

A very viable alternative to rigid pushrods, IMO. They may be very effectively used to follow compound curves where rigid push rods would be impossible. Very useful, I've found, in scale applications and they come in different dimensions.

So far my experience is with Sullivan #508's available from Tower. I used them in my two-channel Dumas "Lil Swamp Buggy" airboat w/throttled Sure-Start.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Pushrods:  Sullivan "Golden Cables" Empty Re: Pushrods: Sullivan "Golden Cables"

Post  PV Pilot Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:11 am

Ahh, the golden rod cable setup. I wonder how many feet of that stuff I have installed. It has been a bunch.

For a sightly larger diameter you can use these.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000481322&I=LXHML4&P=K
It dumps the heavy center cable for a weight loss advantage and just uses a pushrod tube, but the fall back is a larger diameter. (4mm outer)

So many different pushrod options it is mind boggling.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Pushrods:  Sullivan "Golden Cables" Empty Re: Pushrods: Sullivan "Golden Cables"

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 am

PV:

Thinking of using the smallest Sullivan Golden Cables in my upcoming Guillows Spit' coming under contruction after Santa's sleigh arrives at our house.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:09 am

This latest winter project called for a micro pull-pull system, but I was seeing to many possible failure points with that stuff, plus my big club mits were having a hard time hanging onto that stuff. Some small turnbuckles would have been needed to get a even pull on both cables,,then you start putting to much pressure on hinge points and bell cranks, overall weight goes up slightly, ect.

Fitted a .047 rod and tube setup, but the runs from where the guide tube ended in the fuelage to where the rod attached to the bellcrank were to long,,to much easy deflection on the length of rod hangin out.

Settled on a .062 rod and tube setup, feeling much better about that at this point. still flexible enough to curl around slight corners and it can be used on all servo control points. Slightly less overall weight than the pull-pull system once it was all piled on the digital scale,, amazingly. I thought it would be a brick control system setup with the rod and tube, but it's not bad.

It might still turn into a brick,,who knows at this point. lol.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:52 am

To prevent Golden Cable deflection in my Dumas "Lil Swamp Buggy" I installed (with CA) series of small nylon electical wire holders along the route of the cable casing which has cured any problems with cable deflection.

Got the small nylon electrical wire holders at Ace Hardware.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 pm

SuperDave wrote:
Thinking of using the smallest Sullivan Golden Cables in my upcoming Guillows Spit' coming under contruction after Santa's sleigh arrives at our house.

Interestingly, that discussion came up this week in RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10814143/tm.htm

I use a lot of the .032 cable, particularly where it may need to wind around a bit. One of the real advantages of sheathed rods is that only the endpoints need to be secured tightly. I've used the Sullivan S507 sheathing for throttle linkages on planes in the .40 - .50 size, but substituted .032 music wire in place of the cable. The music wire will work where you have an extended unsupported length and carb throttles should have little if any resistance to movement.

For fairly straight runs in smaller planes, I also use .032 music wire in a sheath for control rods. However, the unsupported ends can be problematic if too long. Carbon fiber to the rescue. I've become quite an admirer of small diameter thin wall carbon fiber tubing. It's very stiff, very light and easy to work with. If I have a straight run, I use CF tube and just terminate the ends.

Most of our sport planes don't fly fast enough to produce much resistance to control deflection and usually are not prone to flutter, so pushrods can be lightweight. In all likelihood, most of the resistance is due simply to poor hinging and control binding.

The attached pic shows a short piece of solid CF rod in use -- it wasn't really needed, but I was just fooling around and trying different things. The wire used was .047, but the elevator was 14" x 2", so I moved up from .032. It also shows one on my favorite pushrod retainers on the control horn: wire insulation.
Pushrods:  Sullivan "Golden Cables" Cheap_10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:00 pm

The CF rod is really easy stuff to work with, used that in the past for my foamies.

Went to a swap meet and found a guy selling out all his stock of CF rod and stick, bought it all, took home the box as well. Couldn't pass it up type of deal.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:07 pm

PV:

Somehow I seem to have an awfully lot of friends that have either died or gotten out of the hobby and I've been given BOXES of modeling stuff for FREE. (In fact all but two of my nineteen Coxes came to me in that manner)

But where to put in all in my 10' X 10' "shop/den"! In time I sort through what I have accumulated keeping what I want and trading off the remainder. As long as I can keep this system going I will.

But I am mindful that someday I may get out of the hobby or die too. My g'sons are the next in line as receipients. Shocked
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Cool and feel free to do some trades on here!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down