Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special Cox_ba12

Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special Empty
Live on Patrol

Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special Empty Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:08 pm

Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special WP_20140803_002_zps2fbf1094

I have an MP Jet .061 Ball Bearing Factory Race Special mounted now and a Plain Bearing version of the same engine set up with quick change mounts. Those were given to me by Fit90. The Gladiator 1/2A wing was given to me by Mike Londke, and Howard Shenton gave me the mounts. I'll get Howard to help me get it in the air. Probably first with the PB engine. It only turns mid 25s with ordinary props. I have no idea what the Race Special turns.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special Empty Re: Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Oh, here we go!  lol! 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special Empty Re: Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special

Post  ian1954 Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 am

It looks delicate.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 am

Rusty, I flew a Gladiator for quite some time. I had them since John introduced them. I feel you engine weight will be of value here. The plane was incredibly tail heavy and most didn't survive. The main problem is that they're so twisted out of the box that when you fly it, the outboard tip on some is darn near sticking straight up . The covering of these are lacking and if this plane hasn't been flown, I would highly recommend placing clear tape over the leading and trailing edge. This will keep the covering in place to a degree. 25K won't be so bad, but if you can get into some higher rpm's the plane will fly much better. The control horn is very small and therefore a handle with line spacing no greater than 2" will suit you much better. You should really be able to fly this plane without even looking at it. If you never have flown anything like this, I would suggest pulling the motor out as far as possible, give yourself some offset, tape a nickel to the wing for a first flight, change the control horn to a larger horn ( At least 1"-1 1/4" tall). I don't know what APC prop your using, I would try a Cox rubber duckie and trim accordingly. The APC props will break extremely easy on grass on landing. Using the 5x3 stock might keep your speeds down initially. Don't worry about them holding up. I run the Cox props into the 34K range. Just inspect them at the root daily and prior to flying especially after a ground strike.

Shawn took one of our most recent Gladiator's and cut the tail off moving it forward approx 1". He rebuilt the center rib and sewn the tail back on. This worked extremely well. Make sure the pin holding the bellcrank in is secure. The pin can slip right out allowing the bellcrank to come out. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:13 am

Thanks Ken. Mike covered most of that with me. He said they're unflyable in the out of box form. I will screw a small bellcrank to the top outside, extend the beams, clip the tail to less area and weight, tape it up, etc. I just stuck a prop on it for show, I have rubber duckies too. It should be entertaining if I can keep it in the air.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:26 am

I have only run them as RC and diesel and they are certainly great engines. Smile
They can be really tight when new, helps to pre-heat the cylinder although they are not ABC engines...

What prop did you run to get 25000rpm?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:38 am

What the he// I looked up the engine to see a better look and there he was .... Yoda right in the middle of the page , Ian you sure get around ,, Rusty looks like your going to get back up to speed real soon!! Does your club have others that are in to combat as well ( someone to play with)??? Babe Bee Smoking Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:49 am

Surfer_kris wrote:I have only run them as RC and diesel and they are certainly great engines. Smile
They can be really tight when new, helps to pre-heat the cylinder although they are not ABC engines...

What prop did you run to get 25000rpm?
Kris, I think it was an APC 5x2.  Maybe too small for that engine, I only let it run up that fast for about 15 sec. In my video I show it running 21.7k with an APC 5.5x2.5.

Since I have the mounts, I'll bolt these up side by side and run them. I'll see if that 25k can be reproduced, plus the FRS needs a break-in run too. I think you're supposed to do it with FAI fuel, and i have some left over from breaking in the first one.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:44 am

RknRusty wrote:I think you're supposed to do it with FAI fuel, and i have some left over from breaking in the first one.

FAI fuel is usually 80/20 with all castor. It is better to add little castor though to get 25% (all castor) for the running in, I think that's what they recommend in the manual too.

A little nitro (5-10%) doesn't hurt, but you should use extra headshims then.

There are also remote needles for these engines, the stock position is scary close to the prop...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:51 am

Surfer_kris wrote:FAI fuel is usually 80/20 with all castor. It is better to add little castor though to get 25% (all castor) for the running in, I think that's what they recommend in the manual too.

A little nitro (5-10%) doesn't hurt, but you should use extra headshims then.

There are also remote needles for these engines, the stock position is scary close to the prop...

80/20 is what I have mixed up. As I recall I had to prime it with a drop of nitro fuel to make it easier to crank. It sure is close to the prop. The newer of my two has a remote NV.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Are the MP Jets still available? If so, where can I get one? I wouldn't mind having an R/C version.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Try this. Looks like they have them in stock.
http://www.icare-icarus.com/Diesel-Glow-Engines_c_19.html
And they might be still available through Owen Engines in Austrailia.
http://oea.modelenginenews.org/pricelist_2012-07.pdf

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:34 pm

RknRusty wrote:Try this. Looks like they have them in stock.
http://www.icare-icarus.com/Diesel-Glow-Engines_c_19.html
And they might be still available through Owen Engines in Austrailia.
http://oea.modelenginenews.org/pricelist_2012-07.pdf
Thanks for the links Rusty. I didn't realize they were so pricey. But I like the way yours ran in your video so I might end up getting one to use on a future 1/2a version of the Quickie 500 Pylon Racer.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:24 pm

sdjjadk wrote:
Thanks for the links Rusty. I didn't realize they were so pricey. But I like the way yours ran in your video so I might end up getting one to use on a future 1/2a version of the Quickie 500 Pylon Racer.

Shawn
That would probably be right in its sweet spot. They aren't just sport engines. More like an AME .061, I think. I'm excited to see how the Factory Special runs. I'll probably have some video of it within a week. I'm going to see if it will cooperate with a bladder without modifying anything. If not I'll tap it like they say to.
I hope you can get one.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 pm

After re-watching my movie, I notice I mentioned how insensitive the needle is. That must mean it's a pretty fine thread. Even the Cox guys that run crankcase pressure use KK valves. I'll unscrew this one tomorrow and get an idea of the thread count. Hell, I'll probably run them tomorrow, I've got the itch now. Damn, if it wasn't so late....
That engine on the first prop was really smooth. It's just barely broken in and will no doubt get faster like the Norvels do. I was afraid that APC wasn't aligned properly so was afraid to turn it up any more. It sounded unsteady at 21.7 or whatever it spun

BREAKING NEWS! THIS JUST IN!
Stay tuned! I'm declaring tomorrow MP-Jet engine run day. I gotta see if I can reproduce my earlier claim of 25k or thereabouts. That one caught Kris's eye. It was probably on a cold day but we'll have a one man tach race.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:20 am

I ran my oldest MP Jet on the bench yesterday. It is an RC, twin needle, BB version with the black painted muffler. With the muffler on it makes 19700rpm on an APC 5.7x3 prop (using 10% Nitro). This is even a little stronger than a Norvel .061, if I remember correctly...

The twin needle version has a very strong coupling between the two needles, so it takes some time to get it just right throughout the whole throttle range.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:28 am

I just noticed that the head in the Video above is on "backwards" or rather rotated 90°, like it would be on a car?
Usually one puts the fins along the airstream for better cooling...

The broad needle setting might come from the lack of pressure feed, the RC version with muffler pressure is quite sensitive.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:01 am

Surfer_kris wrote:I just noticed that the head in the Video above is on "backwards" or rather rotated 90°, like it would be on a car?
Usually one puts the fins along the airstream for better cooling...

The broad needle setting might come from the lack of pressure feed, the RC version with muffler pressure is quite sensitive.
I don't remember what nitro I was running but more than likely it was 25%. Maybe the RPM quest is a bad idea? I have 35, 25, 20, 15, and 10% fuel. I also have some 5/29 which may be a good break-in fuel for the FRS-BB after the first few runs with FAI 75/25 mixture.

The head was on backwards. Actually in the introduction scene it's on correctly, and when I ran it it was on wrong. It was a cold day and I had added a third gasket. It's on correctly now. I have run it since then. It will be 100F tomorrow, so I'll probably run two gaskets in the PB and one in the BB with no nitro.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:40 am

Yes, don't focus too much on the rpm quest, it is interesting to see numbers but a bench number doesn't mean much, it is the performance in the air that counts. These engines are really good, there is no doubt about it, treat them well and they'll last for a long time too.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:48 am

Oh, I just saw that these engines are available at radical RC; Glow BB RC

I think these are from the latest run that MP Jet did, the didn't make any of PB ones then, only the BB. The carb might not have the second needle installed, I have seen that on some engines, but one would have to get one to know for sure...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:58 am

Surfer_kris wrote:Oh, I just saw that these engines are available at radical RC; Glow BB RC...
That's a good hobby shop. $3 shipping in the US and lots of supplies.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:31 am

RknRusty wrote: I was afraid that APC wasn't aligned properly so was afraid to turn it up any more. It sounded unsteady at 21.7 or whatever it spun
It might just be the prop, but if you watch the video and look at the prop disk of the APC, you can see some blade separation.
RknRusty wrote:
BREAKING NEWS! THIS JUST IN!
Stay tuned! I'm declaring tomorrow MP-Jet engine run day. I gotta see if I can reproduce my earlier claim of 25k or thereabouts. That one caught Kris's eye. It was probably on a cold day but we'll have a one man tach race.
Rusty
Cool, I can't wait to see more video.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:36 am

RknRusty wrote:
Surfer_kris wrote:Oh, I just saw that these engines are available at radical RC; Glow BB RC...
That's a good hobby shop. $3 shipping in the US and lots of supplies.
Thanks for the link Rusty. That's a great price. I have a B-Day coming up in a few days so I'm going to give a hint to my "Financial Advisor" A.K.A., My Wife. LOL

I also have a 22" balsa sheeted foam core wing laying around that needs a plane and engine.  
Hmmm now my wheels are turning! Huh... 

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:55 am

The foam packing in the box the new engine came in had deteriorated and made a mess.
Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special WP_20140807_004_zps887bf887

Here it is all cleaned up
Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special WP_20140807_006_zps6814bcfa

Now I have a question. On the remote NV, have I got the line in from the tank and the line from the NV to the venturi plugged in correctly?
Question: What! Me Combat? MP Jet .061 Factory Race Special WP_20140807_007_zps080270fc

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 am

Hey Rusty, I'll try to get some pictures/video at the Bladder Grabber this weekend for you. Three days of Big Block Bashing!!!!!! Sorry no Cox engines at this one.

Fred- Wish you could have come this year. Hope you are still recovering well.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next