Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tach Race 2015  Final Wrap-Up - Page 5 Cox_ba12

Tach Race 2015  Final Wrap-Up - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 3:58 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tach Race 2015  Final Wrap-Up - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

Tach Race 2015 Final Wrap-Up

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Mad Re: Tach Race 2015 Final Wrap-Up

Post  Kim Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:13 am

Oh OK!
Got to make me up a Glossary of Terms for our members and their Forum Tags !
Thanks !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Question, how long do I have to send in my engine for the tach race? The reason I'm asking is it's been rain, rain and more rain for the last week so I haven't had the opportunity to break-in and test my engine project as of yet. I hope I have enough time.
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Bandit I'm not far from where you are, and it usually only takes me two days to get packages from here to Missouri. I haven't started on my tach race engine(s) yet either. Worst case, I'll throw something in a box and send it.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:12 pm

RknRusty wrote:Bandit I'm not far from where you are, and it usually only takes me two days to get packages from here to Missouri. I haven't started on my tach race engine(s) yet either. Worst case, I'll throw something in a box and send it.
Rusty
Yeah that's probably what I'm gonna end up doing "throwing it in a box and shipping it" if this rain don't let up plus the fog is so thick that you can slice it up and eat it like a sandwich! Hows tha weather up your way BTW Rusty? (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:26 pm

TDbandit wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Bandit I'm not far from where you are, and it usually only takes me two days to get packages from here to Missouri. I haven't started on my tach race engine(s) yet either. Worst case, I'll throw something in a box and send it.
Rusty
Yeah that's probably what I'm gonna end up doing "throwing it in a box and shipping it" if this rain don't let up plus the fog is so thick that you can slice it up and eat it like a sandwich! Hows tha weather up your way BTW Rusty? (Bandit)
Pouring rain right now. Been drizzling all day. Except for a clear blue Christmas day, this is what we've had since the holiday season started. I'm ready for some flying weather. I think it's supposed to get cold this coming week too.
Rusty

EDIT: BTW how far are you from Columbia? Are you near Atlanta... or I-20?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:43 pm

RknRusty wrote:
TDbandit wrote:
Rusty
Pouring rain right now. Been drizzling all day. Except for a clear blue Christmas day, this is what we've had since the holiday season started. I'm ready for some flying weather. I think it's supposed to get cold this coming week too.
Rusty

EDIT: BTW how far are you from Columbia? Are you near Atlanta... or I-20?
You ain't kidding, I can't wait to get some descent flying weather too pus i'm still trying to get rid of this crud I've had since before Christmas. Yeah it's supposed to be in the low teens at night down where I'm at early this week.

I'm about an hour south of Atlanta down I75. so i'm about 3 1/2 hours from my front door to Columbia not too bad. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:09 am

Pretty close. Maybe this spring, summer or fall we can get together for some flying.
Hey, it would be really cool if we could get members from nearby states together for an Eastern Seaboard CEF Fly-in.
Rusty

[/threadjack]

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:41 am

That would be nice, I would be willing to come. Heck if we could get a bunch of 1/2A skyrays together we could have a skyray meet. I have two of them myself. Smile
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulgibeault Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:39 am

SOooo...if you guys can't be testing with a wee bit of rain, then me testing at -35C ( blowing to -41C) would most likely be right out of the question, huh? Guess I'll be letting Kim do the (one & only) test run for me....brrr!

Cheers, (a thoroughly frozen) Paul
Paulgibeault
Paulgibeault
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:03 am

TDbandit wrote:Question, how long do I have to send in my engine for the tach race? The reason I'm asking is it's been rain, rain and more rain for the last week so I haven't had the opportunity to break-in and test my engine project as of yet. I hope I have enough time.
(Bandit)

I'm planning on starting the Tach Race on Saturday Morning, January 24th, and would like to have everybody checked in on the 23rd. That makes it just shy of 3 full weeks from today. Not sure how long regular post would take, but I'd think 3 days or so from Georgia could be expected now that the holidays are over.

Rained-On Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:02 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Well, I've finally got my Mouse entry assembled, utilizing the wealth of knowledge and handy hints out there.  Not much else I can do without spending money.  
Haven't had a chance to test & tach it yet.  I'm sure it will need a few cycles to get the new cylinder broken in, but hopefully Kim can count me as a starter, assuming the postal service co-operates & I can make it over there on time.  I may include a Stock for the heck of it.  Looks like testing will have to be New Year's Day.  Won't that excite the neighbours?  Beer Cheers            Mad

Rod.

Well, happy with my final test of my Mouse engine. It's amazing how much faster they run when you mount them solid. I had a vibration problem and found that the new prop driver I got for it pulled on crooked & I couldn't correct it. Swapped out the whole crankcase. Still vibrated like heck so I mounted it up to a more solid lump of wood and she sang sweetly.

Kim. I only had 25% fuel to test it so once done I added an extra head shim, assuming you're using 35% nitro for the race. Please confirm that's the case. I haven't had a lot of experience with varying head shims, but I believe that an extra 10% nitro means one more shim. I've never run over 25%.

So, assuming the various postal carriers do their job, I hope to have a Mouse & a Stock packaged up & on their way shortly.

Cheers.
Rod. (from a very hot south-east Australia.)

p.s. As I metioned after last race, maybe you'll need to run my southern hemisphere engines inverted, or it may become disorientated.) lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:20 am

Kim. I only had 25% fuel to test it so once done I added an extra head shim, assuming you're using 35% nitro for the race. Please confirm that's the case. I haven't had a lot of experience with varying head shims, but I believe that an extra 10% nitro means one more shim. I've never run over 25%.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Tach Race 2015 Roll-Call

Post Kim on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:28 pm
Guys!

Kruzn Dave has offered to sponsor the fuel for this year's Tach Race, and I've accepted.

I'll be receiving 25% and 35% Cox Super Fuel (reformulated with castor) for the race in January. Several tests of the new formula have been run by C.E.F. members, with no adverse effects on their engines, so I think it's only proper to take Dave up on his generous offer.

This will be known-fresh fuel for the race, so we ought to have numbers we never saw before !!

Hope this is acceptable to everyone, and kudos to the positive attitude of Dave and Hobbico for giving us another source of good fuel !

Kim
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Rod! Cool !!! Looking forward to receiving your engines. Maybe I can invert all the planes and framed photos in my shop to "align" your engines to this hemisphere!

Yes. we'll be running 35% Unlimited, Mouse, and Tee Dee, and 25% for the Babe Bee Class...both fuels from Cox Super Fuel. I haven't talked to Dave in a while, but will send him a note today to confirm Hobbico will supply the fuel. Failing that, the same numbers will be represented with Sig Fuel as in past years.

Thanks again for entering the Race from SO far away!

Frozen Kim

Tach Race 2015  Final Wrap-Up - Page 5 Weathe10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:27 am

Mouse & Babe Bee packaged and ready to embark on their epic journey.  I hope it's as smooth and speedy as some Cub parts I just received (gratefully) from Terry over on .049 collectors.  Posted First Class in Tennessee on Friday January 2nd and arrived Drouin Australia Tuesday January 6th.  That makes it Monday 5th for you folk.  Affraid or WOW! WOW. That's faster than shipping something from Melbourne 60 miles away.

Hope my engines don't go into shock.  Hot
Tach Race 2015  Final Wrap-Up - Page 5 Pictur10
Looks like we'll be shivering again after Friday.  
Sorry, I shouldn't be insensitive to those of you who are shivering, more than I can even imagine. Cold
When I was a kid we would run outside on the coldest mornings of the year and have fun cracking the 1/8" layer of ice on the puddles.  That's the coldest it ever got here.  Anything below freezing was just amazing to us.
At least we have some rain on the way.  The countryside is quickly turning into a tinder-box.  Several big grass fires last Saturday when it was 41°C.

Anyway, thanks for people's encoragement to get off my butt and get a couple of engines on their way for my second try.  Hopefully this year I can score better than 6th. Laughing

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Alright Kim,

Today we are sending out our Green Machine as entry, together with 6 gift certificates, props and other spares. The engine has a new, flat-coil, glow insert; which increases compression.

Tach Race 2015  Final Wrap-Up - Page 5 Green_10
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Good Deal Rod !!! HUMMM GREEN I got 3 ready one more to go// Wish I new what I was doing Huh... Eric Cold
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:52 am

Hey, green is my favorite colour. I live in hope lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:08 am

Nice, the green really makes the engine stand out! Smile
As far as my entry, got some run time on it and ran into a snag "crank pin failure" gonna pop a polished stock crank in er and hope she holds. Cold (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:17 am

Question on TD head VS Hi comp. drop in red / hot with 2-3 hd. gaskets ,Do you think there is that much difference in it per rpms ? My stupid Tach. still only works sometime Babe Bee .049 Eric Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:42 pm

getback wrote:Question on TD head VS Hi comp. drop in red / hot with 2-3 hd. gaskets ,Do you think there is that much difference in it per rpms ? My stupid Tach. still only works sometime  Babe Bee .049 Eric Small Cox Logo
I'm running a med-hot button in mine and yeah I've seen a difference not too much as of yet and may see more as i tinker with it but I have seen one compared to the TD head. (Bandit) Cold
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:44 pm

getback wrote:Question on TD head VS Hi comp. drop in red / hot with 2-3 hd. gaskets ,Do you think there is that much difference in it per rpms ? My stupid Tach. still only works sometime  Babe Bee .049 Eric Small Cox Logo
Between a brand new #1701 Tee Dee high compression head and a drop-in(Merlin, btw), with the right amount of shims... maybe. But I wouldn't expect a lot of difference. The Merlins have way more compression than the 1701 head, so you have to decompress them with more gaskets to bring it down to the Cox's sweet spot. It's just a matter of experimentation, something I have a low patience level for. The shape of the combustion chambers are similar. That's kind of a non-answer, but you know how miniature engines are, sometimes you just can't predict how any one unit is going to compare with another "identical" one.
Rusty

EDIT: I was writing this when Bandit posted his reply

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:28 am

The first Tach Race Engines have arrived!

P-40 War Hawk's entries arrived safely !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi man, I'm looking at sending my engine in the next couple of days hopefully, anyway I need your address so I can send this little monster to ya. Also I'm including some shims since I broke it in on as well as done all my test n tuning on 25%. If you have any questions let me know. Smile (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:44 pm

TDbandit wrote:Hi man, I'm looking at sending my engine in the next couple of days hopefully, anyway I need your address so I can send this little monster to ya. Also I'm including some shims since I broke it in on as well as done all my test n tuning on 25%. If you have any questions let me know. Smile (Bandit)

Here your go:

Engines can be sent to either of these two addresses:

Kim Stricker
300 C.R. 326
Jackson, Missouri 63755

Kim Stricker
P.O. Box 6
Jackson, Missouri 63755

Cell: 573-576-5734
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm behind.... I don't have anything ready this year.  Hopefully your not sick this year Smile If you need help, let me know, I might be able to come down.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Appreciate it...I also hope I'm not sick. Should be Ok.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down