Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! Cox_ba12

Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by Ken Cook Today at 6:17 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! Empty
Live on Patrol

Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo !

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! Empty Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo !

Post  Kim Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:15 am

Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! 1_67

Tach Race 2012
January 15th
The Unlimited Class!
After sorting out my problems from the previous day, I got my gear out and ready to go around 10:30am. The temp was right at 40 degrees F, and pretty much stayed there all day. All the engines were kept in my kitchen overnight and moved to the shop once it was heated up.

I had 9 Unlimited Entries to run, and Susie showed up just in time to help me with the record-keeping and swapping out the engines.

I ran Bernie and Xena’s engines first. I had a little hassle getting a good contact with the glow plug clip on Bernie’s “Crazy Bee”, but it finally lit up and I ran rich it for a while to let it settle in. When I peaked it, it jumped to 18840 and wavered there. Xena’s cast-case “Pink Panther” walked right up to 18400 and stayed there.

Next I ran “Mudhen”s “Nosebleed Special”…named for it’s leaky aft bearing. It was the most difficult one of the bunch to start, and seemed to easily flood with the lightest prime. When it DID start, it went right to peak, and then back to rich on it’s own. I let it run a bit, then took it to peak at it’s 19500...with plenty of fuel streaming down it’s side!

Mark Boesen’s Red Unlimited came with it’s own sheet metal mount, and went right up to it’s peak at 18500.

All the way from Greece to my back yard, Sotiris Reizis’ Gold and Red Unlimited started very easily and ran 18360 with little surging.

Paul Gibeault’s “Franken Motor” was a challenge for me to keep running as it spit it’s sealed fueling tube from it’s pressurized tank every time it started. I finally replaced the silicone tube with a plastic one and it stayed put. The engine’s shaft seemed very loose, and I only got it to peak at 17740.

Matt’s “microflitedude” “Killer Bee by MFD” Unlimited entry was another easy starter and, after it’s little warm-up, peaked at 18500.

Paul Westcott’s Unlimited “Space Hopper” also made life easy by starting right up, peaking at 15100 on it’s vintage Tatone engine mount.

Matt’s “ExmodelEngines.com” Golden Unlimited was another easy starter and cranked up to peak at 18240.

So, it came out that “Mudhen” was first place in Unlimited and recipient of Bernie’s Black Killer Bee engine, donated by Cox International !

Tach Race 2012
January 15th
The Mouse Class!

There were 6 Mouse Class Engines, and I started running them around 2:00.

First up was Bob Dickerson’s “Dkrsn” “Tribute to Joe Klause”, which started easily and ran up to 17500.

I then tried Mark Boesen’s beautiful “Blue Mouser”, but could only get runs of a few seconds out it. It seemed to have a fuel draw problem as I had the needle WAY out, and the engine still would mostly only burn out it’s prime. During one of it’s short runs, it peaked at 14100.

Douglas Veasey’s “crankbender” Black Widow Mouser was ready to run and went to 18780 after it’s warm up.

Sotiris Reizis Black & Red Mouser, another easy starter, came in at 17940.

Paul Gibeault’s “Crown Royal” Mouser tried to pull my test stand across the table with a steady run at 19280.

Paul Wescott’s never-run Black Widow Mouse ran at 15750, and will probably run a lot faster with a little more break-in time.

The First Place Entry in Mouse Class goes to Paul Gibeault and his fire-breathing “Crown Royal” Mouse. His placing earns him another colorful character for his bench…Bernie’s Cox International-donated “Crazy Bee” !

Tach Race 2012
January 16th
The Novice Class!

There were three entries in the Novis Class, and they placed in the order I received them:

Ron Cribb’s “cribs74” Texas Product engine came in first at 17280.

Doug Vesey’s “Crankbender” Florida engine ran 16290.

Paul Wescott’s never-run Babe Bee was run a bit to help it loosen up before peaking at 14400.

All three engines started up very easily, and were the most consistent RPM -holders of the group. I think Paul’s Babe Bee might turn up a little faster with some more run time.

As First Place Winner in Novice, Ron receives a Sure Start engine for his continued experimentation !

Other Notes:

“Missing in Action” was our entry from London England, Indra’s Unlimited entry. Mailed two and a half weeks before the original Tach Race date, it still has not appeared. According to other folks who’ve had this situation, it’s not too unusual for packages to show up a month or so later. I’ll keep watching for it. Sorry, Indra. While it’s certainly not a replacement for Indra’s engine, he will receive a Sure Start engine for his efforts to compete, and I hope it’s some small consolation until his other engine on comes home.

Our Longest Distance Winner, Sortiris Reizis, from Thessaloniki Greece, also receives a Sure Start engine for sending his Unlimited and Mouse entries such a long way ! Thank you for competing Sotiris !!!!

Lastly, I was left with the “Pink Panther”, donated by Xena at Cox International, and since it IS a pink engine, I thought it might be a gesture of encouragement to send it to Eline in the Netherlands in recognition of her being the first female member of the Cox Engine Collectors Forum. She can use it to power the Sig Staggerwing she’s building!

All of the engines were wiped down, and given a couple drops of Xenalube (until I ran out, and went to Hobbico Afterrun Oil). We wrapped them in paper towels and carefully returned them to their packages, doing a double check on everything to make sure they were all matched to their owners.

I’m gonna punch out for a day, then start getting everyone’s engines on their way home. This was a real treat, and I once again thank all you guys for sending your engines to compete on a little hill way out in the wilds of Missouri !!

Last edited by Kim on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! Empty Re: Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo !

Post  nitroairplane Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:22 am

Kim,
Thank you so much for the service of running everyone's engines.
It was very kind of you and I hope you had a lot of fun running them.
Thank you so much for the surestart.
It is also very Kind of you to send the Pink Panther to Eline and I am sure she will appreciate it.
I hope my engine have not been K.I.A as if they have the post office will have running babe bees hurled at them.
Thanks you,
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! Empty Re: Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo !

Post  John Goddard Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:11 am

Gutted that I didn't send something Kim.
But a Gargantuan effort on your Part.
If we can buy Jacob an engine to say thanks for maintaining the forum
I don't think it ureasonable to suggest a 'coallition of the willing'
to buy you a beer or three.
A buck or 2 from those able shouldn't break the bank,
whaddya say boyz?
Cool
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 am

John Goddard wrote:Gutted that I didn't send something Kim.
But a Gargantuan effort on your Part.
If we can buy Jacob an engine to say thanks for maintaining the forum
I don't think it ureasonable to suggest a 'coallition of the willing'
to buy you a beer or three.
A buck or 2 from those able shouldn't break the bank,
whaddya say boyz?
Cool

lol we bought Jacob a Christmas bee but I'm up for getting him another Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 am

Congratulations Mudhen, Paul Gibeault and Ron Cribbs on your fine runs. Thanks to Kim for all your work to make this runoff a success.
As for me, I had a lot of fun building my Black Widow and for it to even be in the same league as Mr. Gibeaults makes me happy.
Already thinking how to spin that Widow faster. Great fun, Thanks to all, Doug
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 am

Many thanks to Kim and his helpers (Susie) for hosting this event. It was a large undertaking and I appreciate all the effort that was given to make this a possibility. I hope there will be a Tach Race 2013!

It's too bad we couldn't have all got together for this event. If Indra's engines indeed go MIA then I would be glad to start a collection to get him a nice new shiny one!

Respectfully,

Ron Cribbs
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:08 am

Ron,
That is a very nice idea but will not be necessary or possible Smile
One engine was a space hopper and a shiny new one of those will set you back $300 and the other was a super bee product engine and they only came on the p40 Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:19 am

Congrats to all the competitors for their efforts in preparing engines and to those who built the top contenders.

Certainly a big THANK YOU to Kim for stepping up and running the race. It takes a lot of time and effort to get everything together and ensure that all the competitors engines were put through their paces and returned.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:05 am

I thoroughly enjoyed watching. I even got to participate in a small way as we broke-in MFD's Killer Bee in my shop. Glad to see it was an easy starter for Kim, as we had quite a time with it before it finally decided to cooperate. You can expect a mean nitro burner from me next year. I can't let this pass again without an entry.
Thanks for the fun,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:17 am

Last edited by Mudhen on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:05 am

Thanks Kim and Susie, for everything you did. I'll be sure to pick up a DVD when they are finished. Let us know if you need any help - I see you had to purchase a few extra items.

Thanks to Mr. Rusty as well, could not have done it without you!

Looking forward to Tach Race 2013! Smile
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am

Congrats on your MFD KILLER BEE, it's a strong runner!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Congrats on your MFD KILLER BEE, it's a strong runner!

Thanks Mark!

I am thankful it even started! Smile
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:36 am

Hello Everybody,

Once again, congratulations to all the winners as well as the participants, and of course our Contest Director! I think we had a good turnout and next year I'm sure will be bigger.

I don't think its to early to start planning next years Tach Race...Kim, would you wanna do this again?

Thanks,

Mark

“"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory." - Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE (1928)

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Hello Everybody,

Once again, congratulations to all the winners as well as the participants, and of course our Contest Director! I think we had a good turnout and next year I'm sure will be bigger.

I don't think its to early to start planning next years Tach Race...Kim, would you wanna do this again?

Thanks,

Mark

“"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory." - Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE (1928)

Hey Mark,

I'd surely give it another go ! I learned a lot about what to set up and how, and figure the next round should be a lot smoother.

We might consider making it the "Groundhog's Day Tach Race" to avoid that holiday mail surge, and February still certainly qualifies as "Winter" !!

I'm up if you guys are! AND...I'd like to again say that I it was a honor to have so many great engine guys put their treasures in my charge for a few days !!!

Last edited by Kim on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Back at all of you guys...you're very welcome and it was an honor to get the chance to try this !!! I wasn't sure WERE it would go after Mark and I talked about my taking it on, but I'm surely glad we went ahead with the idea! My friends on this end were a BIG help, and I owe them for their help and encouragement...with Susie doing the engine swapping and clean-up...with Rory and his wife Lori providing vital moral support!

Ironically, I got back home tonight to find Indra's engines, safe and sound in my mailbox out front! So, they made it OK...if more close to a couple weeks late!

Later !!! Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:44 pm

microflitedude wrote:Thanks Kim and Susie, for everything you did. I'll be sure to pick up a DVD when they are finished. Let us know if you need any help - I see you had to purchase a few extra items.

Thanks to Mr. Rusty as well, could not have done it without you!

Looking forward to Tach Race 2013! Smile

Yeah...this was a BUNCH of Fun! I'm gonna try to start crunching the videos here in a bit. I've got a few situations here that need my attention for the moment, but I promise I'll be back on it shortly !!!

Later !!! Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Kim,

How much better does it get? Allthough it didn't arrive in time, knowing Indra's Space Hopper is safe and sound makes for some sweet icing on the cake.

Throw my deepest thanks on the pile Kim.Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! 2887095414 Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! 1848667513

Bob

How 'bout a PeeWee race?Cool

Last edited by dckrsn on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 pm

dckrsn wrote:Kim,

How 'bout a PeeWee race?

That would be great! Very Happy
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 am

microflitedude wrote:

How 'bout a PeeWee race?

That would be great! Very Happy

Bring it !!! I still got plenty of fuel ! (AND a couple quarts of new 35% Sig!)
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 am

How much better does it get? Allthough it didn't arrive in time, knowing Indra's Space Hopper is safe and sound makes for some sweet icing on the cake.

Throw my deepest thanks on the pile Kim.Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! 2887095414 Tach Race 2012...The Wrap Up...and Class Photo ! 1848667513

Bob

A pee wee race!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:33 am

nitroairplane wrote:

Bob

A pee wee race!

We could do it !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:19 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Hello Everybody,

Thanks,

Mark

mark, how or where did you get that anodized??
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Finally catching up (Mondays and Tuesdays are crazy around here).

Congratulations to the winners and many thanks to the contestants, hosts, and expecially Kim, for making this Tach Race possible
Hand Shake
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Cox International wrote:Finally catching up (Mondays and Tuesdays are crazy around here).

Congratulations to the winners and many thanks to the contestants, hosts, and expecially Kim, for making this Tach Race possible
Hand Shake

Thanks for your contribution of the engines and donations to the race,
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next