Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fox .15 Steel-Fin Cox_ba12

Fox .15 Steel-Fin Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fox .15 Steel-Fin Empty
Live on Patrol

Fox .15 Steel-Fin

Go down

Fox .15 Steel-Fin Empty Fox .15 Steel-Fin

Post  roddie Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Hey Guys, This engine was my Grandfather's. It's in very good condition.. and he gave me a silencer with it. There are no identifying marks.. other than my Grandfathers initials/name scribed on it. I think it's an aftermarket silencer.. but I'm not sure. Anyone ever see one like this?

Fox .15 Steel-Fin Dsc02312
Fox .15 Steel-Fin Dsc02313
Fox .15 Steel-Fin Dsc02314
Fox .15 Steel-Fin Dsc02315

It would seem like a good muffler to run.. because it's a free-flow design.. with no baffle or evidence of ever having one.. but it does have screws to take it apart. I'm guessing that a tension-spring is used to mount it; wrapped around the back of the cylinder and attached to the hook-wire on the silencer? Is this a preferred way to mount it? I was thinking that a radiator hose-clamp could be attached to the silencer with small sheet metal screws which would be more secure. In either case, I would probably cut a strip of inner-tube rubber for around the cylinder to prevent the clamp or spring from scratching.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Fox .15 Steel-Fin Empty Re: Fox .15 Steel-Fin

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:18 pm

It depends on what your doing with the engine. If you concerned about noise, try it. It won't like it, but it will silence the engine. I would say in or around the 3 minute mark that engine would start to show signs of not being happy. I'm not a proponent of mufflers. They don't work well in control line. If your flying level the entire time and don't plan on maneuvering, then go for it. But once you start loading the engine, it will sag and overheat. The steelfin is not a powerhouse by any means and muffling it will certainly choke it's power down and retain heat.  All the mufflers provided for control line engines work. They do what they were designed to do. That would be silencing the engine. In terms of serving a double standard and allowing a decent engine run from start to finish is another thing. Ken

One other thing I meant to mention, 2 screws hold that top end on. I wouldn't use a hose clamp to that cylinder. Even a ground strike in grass with the strap and weight of the muffler can result in breaking it off.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:29 pm

Ken Cook wrote:It depends on what your doing with the engine. If you concerned about noise, try it. It won't like it, but it will silence the engine. I would say in or around the 3 minute mark that engine would start to show signs of not being happy. I'm not a proponent of mufflers. They don't work well in control line. If your flying level the entire time and don't plan on maneuvering, then go for it. But once you start loading the engine, it will sag and overheat. The steelfin is not a powerhouse by any means and muffling it will certainly choke it's power down and retain heat.  All the mufflers provided for control line engines work. They do what they were designed to do. That would be silencing the engine. In terms of serving a double standard and allowing a decent engine run from start to finish is another thing. Ken

One other thing I meant to mention, 2 screws hold that top end on. I wouldn't use a hose clamp to that cylinder. Even a ground strike in grass with the strap and weight of the muffler can result in breaking it off.

OK.. Thank You Ken, If I do use the silencer.. I'll try it with a spring mount. I don't intend to fly over a hard-pack surface while stunt-training. No sense in tempting fate until I feel more confident.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:53 am

Ken Cook wrote:
The steelfin is not a powerhouse by any means and muffling it will certainly choke it's power down and retain heat.  

You should see the output of the Fox 0.09 if you think the 0.15 is gutless!
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:14 pm

That Fox .15 without the muffler is a great engine for the Akromaster, it's the engine in the plans.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:55 pm

roddie wrote:I don't intend to fly over a hard-pack surface while stunt-training. No sense in tempting fate until I feel more confident.
Isn't that what Testors McCoys, OK Cubs & AC Gilberts are good for? Fireworks
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down