Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Cox_ba12

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Choose the next engine of the month!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 6 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_lcap21%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 8 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 5 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 5 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_lcap23%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 39

Poll closed

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Empty Re: **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015)

Post  dckrsn Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:01 pm

Good job Roddie, well earned. cheers
Excellent photo composition(imho).
Thanks for the new screen saver!
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Empty Re: **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015)

Post  roddie Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Admin wrote:Congratulations to Roddie! What is it Roddie? A 191? Something you built?

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 3-13-110

Wow! Thanks so much guys!! I enjoy photography almost (I said almost... Wink ) as much as building models. The engine is from my Rare Bear CEF Reed Speed model. I built it from a new crankcase I had bought almost 3 years ago from "Mini Glow Planes". I needed a "top-end" and a "rear-end"... so I ordered a Tee Dee cylinder/piston and the red "Killer Bee" high-flow back-plate and needle from Cox International. The head is a standard type. Although the engine has run a few times.. there is something amiss. I've never really been an "engine-guy".. but since being a member here at CEF.. I've been learning a lot about how to get better performance from all of you great people.

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 4-2-1411

The first time I ran it on the bench.. it was hard to start.. and hard to keep running once it did start. I was using a uni-flow hard-tank I'd built; plumbed with 1/8" copper tubes.. with small size silicone fuel tubing to the engine. This turned out to be too restrictive for a suction-only fuel feed. I had to solve the problem quick.. because the contest deadline had already been extended. I theorized that switching to a large-size fuel line might lessen the resistance to flow with the reduced vacuum I was dealing with.. I'm guessing; because of that large venturi in the back-plate. The challenge was fitting the larger line on the small barb on the NVA. A compression-sleeve did the trick.. and the engine roared to life! The power was more than anything I'd ever experienced from a reedy!

Here's a photo of how I did the fuel line..

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 3-13-111
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 3-13-112

I know that most of you have seen the above pics before.. but for the benefit of new members.. it's an easy thing to do.. that just might make a difference in getting your engine to draw fuel better from a tank. The fuel line shown is a size for large engines. The compression-sleeves are merely 1/4" OD alloy-tubing pieces, cut to approx. 1/4" long. I twisted the ends of the fuel tubing into the sleeves.. which reduces the inner diameter of the fuel line small enough to fit tightly on the small size fitting on the NVA.

Here's a couple more close-up shots of the engine..

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 1-25-110
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 1-25-111

Most digital cameras have a setting for shooting close-ups (Macro). Look for a "flower-shaped" icon in your menu.

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Macro_10

Use this setting.. and you'll be very surprised at how much better your close-ups will be!

Thanks again everyone!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:04 am

Admin wrote:Congratulations to Roddie! What is it Roddie? A 191? Something you built?

Congrats Roddie,
good job.

I will retry next month although am not too much motivated.. Smile
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:11 am

Congrats rod! Beer Cheers
As for me i'll retry next month but my lack of camera skills is going to make it interesting for me lol
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:16 am

Thanks, Roddie! I'll get the picture up soon.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:28 am

balogh wrote:

Congrats Roddie,
good job.

I will retry next month although am not too much motivated.. Smile

Thanks Andy! That was a CLOSE one. I really owe it to "1/2A NUT". If you look back on the submission thread.. he gave me some "ribbing" for my first posting a pic of the Rare Bear with the engine "cowled-in" to which he commented; "Nice glow-plug pic".. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed He was right.. it "was" a nice glow-plug pic... Laughing  but this is an engine contest.. and although it was evident that there was a Cox engine in the model.. it wasn't really visible.. (as compared to Crankbndr's Cox Super Chipmunk) so I posted the 2nd pic.. to try to redeem myself.. and never expected it to be chosen... and thought I might have entered too late anyway. I kind of slid-in under the wire.

BTW Jacob... what is a "191"??? EDIT: I found it on Martin Hepperle's page.. It does look similar.. other than the stepped cylinder.

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Cox_1910

Last edited by roddie on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:59 am

Congratulations Roddie - this month had probably the most well prepared and executed entries in the competition so far. There has been a leap in quality and the number of votes.

All entries were superbly done. Well done all!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:00 am

Heartily agree with all the above!

STILL wish more members would be inspired to vote in this cool little contest!
We've got better than 16 hundred members, and it only takes a minute or so to check out the more-and-more artful entries...and to punch in a vote for your favorite!

Please consider giving it a shot on the next lap!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:53 am

I love to show off this photo, I think its one of my best. I took it about 12-15 years ago with my first digital camera, I think it was a 3.0 pixel?

The point being you don't need real elaborate equipment as the typical phone camera today has probably a better lens.

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Space_10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:22 am

Congrats to the winner!

And Thanks to my voter Very Happy  I used my iPhone 4S to take my contest photo, "The Celestial Passenger". No flash, phone supported on a Lego Duplo block. The setting was pretty much an ad-hoc one. I was trying to take a photo of my Two-Ninety, and the Lunar globe happened to be in the background. I wanted to get the engine just a little higher, and grabbed the 2€ flea-market book about space travelers as it fit the "theme". The whole thing took maybe 5 minutes Smile

Mark, that is a very nice photo, the lighting, position of the engine, focus all spot on. I like the little piece of wood between the drive plate and spinner, I'll do that for my display engines too one of these days.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:59 am

ian1954 wrote:Congratulations Roddie - this month had probably the most well prepared and executed entries in the competition so far. There has been a leap in quality and the number of votes.

All entries were superbly done. Well done all!

You'd better watch out guys..I am in negotiation with the 2015 January Playmate of P...boy who promised to pose on my February entry with one of my COX (I did not want to spell it coc...s) Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:I love to show off this photo, I think its one of my best. I took it about 12-15 years ago with my first digital camera, I think it was a 3.0 pixel?

The point being you don't need real elaborate equipment as the typical phone camera today has probably a better lens.

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Space_10

Yes that's a real nice shot. The camera I use is a dinosaur 2.0 mega-pixel Sony Mavica CD250. Media is a mini-CD-R 193MB disc. I typically shoot with the highest resolution (1600 x 1200). The camera is powered by an "Info-Lithium" battery. Both the battery and charger died a few years ago.. and I found replacements on the cheap online.. as well as a 100/pk. of Mini CD-R's. You won't find those discs in retail outlets.. they were even hard to find when I bought the camera. Sony-Store "Mavica" discs were ridiculously expensive.

Here's the Mavica CD-250

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Sony-m10
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (January 2015) - Page 2 Sony-m11

The latest phone-cams are amazing.. for sure. The image-stabilization technology is really what amazes me in today's cameras.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:20 pm

I remember those cameras I wanted one just the look got me ,, windows 8 phone / camera / video provider no phone though O - MAMA is taking care of that for me ....Sorry again lol! Beer Cheers Airplane  Getback................ GOSH ! RODDIE CONGRADULATION ON THE WIN !! Guess that was a Hemi lol! Smoking

Last edited by getback on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : over whelmed by the camera)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:40 pm

With some non-regular names expressing interest in entering and missing the cut, as much as I enjoy participating, I'm happy to stand down for a while to make room.
My advice is have your entry ready by the end of the month so as soon as the competition is listed, post it and you're in. This last one filled up real quick.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:08 pm

KariFS wrote:Congrats to the winner!

And Thanks to my voter Very Happy  
Did you only get one vote? That would be me, good moonshot!

roddie wrote:....The camera I use is a dinosaur 2.0 mega-pixel Sony Mavica CD250. Media is a mini-CD-R 193MB disc....
I used to want one of those too. For closeup shooting of engines and builds, 2MP should be plenty for good quality close shots.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:34 am

RknRusty wrote:Did you only get one vote? That would be me, good moonshot!

Yeah, one vote. Glad you liked it Very Happy
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next