Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

1954 Giro by Black Hawk Models  Cox_ba12

1954 Giro by Black Hawk Models  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

1954 Giro by Black Hawk Models  Empty
Live on Patrol

1954 Giro by Black Hawk Models

Go down

1954 Giro by Black Hawk Models  Empty 1954 Giro by Black Hawk Models

Post  Brenda Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Great day for flying last Sunday. Cox powered Giro

Shot from pilots POV. Ever tried to hold a GoPro and fly at the same time?
Brenda
Brenda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

1954 Giro by Black Hawk Models  Empty Re: 1954 Giro by Black Hawk Models

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Brenda, that was pretty cool. I like neat stuff like this. I have a saucer my dad built many years ago I plan on re doing. It was very oil soaked so the fuse and engine crutch had to be totally replaced. I can't wait, last time I saw it fly was almost 40 years ago. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Cool! That looked like so much fun! It's a lot faster than I thought it would be. It looked a little squirrely. Is it really, or was it a wind thing? It sure doesn't glide much when the engine stops. I'm glad to see your videos. I've wanted to see how they fly since first seeing them on the Blackhawk website. Thanks for posting them.

The timing of this post is perfect. The one I ordered should get here in the mail on Monday or Tuesday. You didn't happen to take any build photos did you? Any tips or tricks you could pass on?

The Glad Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:00 pm

batjac wrote:Cool!  That looked like so much fun!  It's a lot faster than I thought it would be.  It looked a little squirrely.  Is it really, or was it a wind thing?  It sure doesn't glide much when the engine stops.  I'm glad to see your videos.  I've wanted to see how they fly since first seeing them on the Blackhawk website.  Thanks for posting them.

The timing of this post is perfect.  The one I ordered should get here in the mail on Monday or Tuesday.  You didn't happen to take any build photos did you?  Any tips or tricks you could pass on?

The Glad Mark

It's not squirrley at all. That is me making all the jerking movements. Hard to film and fly at same time. I only dumped it over on the rotor head once and it was on film. The only thing I changed on it was the rotor head assembly. I busted the blades twice so I made a new holder thing out of steel. I got the idea from a 1/2a heli kit. I've dropped it and dumped it and the steel works perfect and bends rather than break. I've got at least 60 flights on it so far and every time people look and ask questions.
Brenda
Brenda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:51 am

Well that was right on time as wee were having some discussing as Mark had said he had one coming , I was wondering how one would fly ,have never seen one in action . Good to see your out and fling having fun , Thanks for sharing . Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:36 am

Thanks for posting the videos. Me too, I never saw one flying. I tought they went much slower.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:53 am

Wicked cool Brenda! Just what I needed; 1st thing on a Sunday morning to get my brain-wheels turning! I'm very curious about the design of the rotor assy. and mount.

I have some questions....

1. What is the diameter of the rotor assembly?
2. Are the rotor-blade's pitch('s) set at a predetermined angle via the hub design?
3. Does Blackhawk recommend setting a specific angle of attack.. or is this angle already built-in to the rotor-head mount?

Auto-Gyros have always fascinated me.. and I'd been wanting to see this Blackhawk model fly! Thanks for posting! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:03 am

roddie wrote:Wicked cool Brenda! Just what I needed; 1st thing on a Sunday morning to get my brain-wheels turning! I'm very curious about the design of the rotor assy. and mount.

2. Are the rotor-blade's pitch('s) set at a predetermined angle via the hub design?
3. Does Blackhawk recommend setting a specific angle of attack.. or is this angle already built-in to the rotor-head mount?

Auto-Gyros have always fascinated me.. and I'd been wanting to see this Blackhawk model fly! Thanks for posting! Thumbs Up

1) Not a clue.

2/3) Yes the angel of attack is set at like 10deg I think. Not sure the exact degree to be honest. Shaft hole is per-drilled so all you have to do is insert stick. Blades are set at a few deg as well when assembling it. I broke my blades off twice, once from a fall off table and once from my hand going through it trying to start motor. That is why I changed over to steel.

Also it should be noted that the plane can fly with rotor off. It is really a low wing buzzy sort of plane and the rotor doesn't really do much other than slow the entire craft down. Just try to do a loop and you will see rotor in full action. Soon as you pull up for a hard loop the rotor will act like a parachute and almost stop the plane. That is why no one has ever done a loop in one.
Brenda
Brenda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:33 am

Brenda wrote:
roddie wrote:Wicked cool Brenda! Just what I needed; 1st thing on a Sunday morning to get my brain-wheels turning! I'm very curious about the design of the rotor assy. and mount.

1) Not a clue.

2/3) Yes the angel of attack is set at like 10deg I think. Not sure the exact degree to be honest. Shaft hole is per-drilled so all you have to do is insert stick. Blades are set at a few deg as well when assembling it. I broke my blades off twice, once from a fall off table and once from my hand going through it trying to start motor. That is why I changed over to steel.

Also it should be noted that the plane can fly with rotor off. It is really a low wing buzzy sort of plane and the rotor doesn't really do much other than slow the entire craft down. Just try to do a loop and you will see rotor in full action. Soon as you pull up for a hard loop the rotor will act like a parachute and almost stop the plane. That is why no one has ever done a loop in one.

Very interesting! I wonder if the rotor-head's AOT was adjustable, might make a difference? I assume that the rotor-blades are flat? What type of bushing (bearing?) is used to support the rotor-head? Does the bushing receive any type of lubrication to reduce friction induced on it by lift? Am I making you crazy with all these questions? Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:41 am

roddie wrote:
Brenda wrote:

1) Not a clue.

Very interesting! I wonder if the rotor-head's AOT was adjustable, might make a difference? I assume that the rotor-blades are flat? What type of bushing (bearing?) is used to support the rotor-head? Does the bushing receive any type of lubrication to reduce friction induced on it by lift? Am I making you crazy with all these questions? Laughing

Blades are flat as a board. Bushing is brass housed in light ply held in place with a wood screw. You know I have not pulled rotor off in the past 20 or so fights, I never lubed it at all. All of a sudden I am wondering if that wood screw hasn't started to mill down the brass. I will check it later. Or I will forget later. One or the other Very Happy
Brenda
Brenda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:57 am

Maybe installing a greased flat-washer under the screw-head (or phenolic one) might help. I'm willing to bet that you'll see a noticeable increase in airspeed if you can reduce the friction in that area. Please let us know how it turns out! Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:00 am

roddie wrote:Maybe installing a greased flat-washer under the screw-head (or phenolic one) might help. I'm willing to bet that you'll see a noticeable increase in airspeed if you can reduce the friction in that area. Please let us know how it turns out! Smile

Wait you want it to go FASTER?! I get dizzy as it is LOL
Brenda
Brenda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down