Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

BaBy Clown in Prgress  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

BaBy Clown in Prgress  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

BaBy Clown in Prgress  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

BaBy Clown in Prgress

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BaBy Clown in Prgress  - Page 2 Empty Re: BaBy Clown in Prgress

Post  getback Mon May 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Clown covered : that's all for today got to got garden now BaBy Clown in Prgress  - Page 2 Wp_20126 BaBy Clown in Prgress  - Page 2 Wp_20127 That's the best job I have done yet only had to patch one pull away on the bottom at the fuse Babe Bee
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon May 25, 2015 2:38 pm

Lookin' good man. What are you planning on putting on er, Tee Dee, medallion? (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Colorful Eric, no trouble seeing that in the air. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Mon May 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Really Nice Job On the Covering ,Can't Wait To See It Comp[eted. RC Plane
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon May 25, 2015 7:54 pm

I am still tossing the medallion and TD around just don't know yet Small Cox Logo Thanks Guy's I need all the confidence I can get , I like the way the medallion runs with out the pressure but........ need to learn the pressure too Memorial Day
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon May 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Looks nice. I'd go with the Medallion or a souped up reedy on an external tank if there's room for it. A balloon if not.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Eric,

Here is the the Baby Clown as built like yours before I modified it. I was running a Medallion with a 3/4oz Perfect hard tank. It was a good setup. Please excuse the poor flying. Inverted flight was a new thing to me at the time.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 26, 2015 4:55 am

Looking GREAT Eric! I hope you get it in the air soon. I'm looking forward to seeing you fly it!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CHELLIE Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Eric,

Here is the the Baby Clown as built like yours before I modified it. I was running a Medallion with a 3/4oz Perfect hard tank. It was a good setup. Please excuse the poor flying. Inverted flight was a new thing to me at the time.

Nice Flight Smile I cant fly 1/2A Cox 049 engines where I am at, They dont seem to like the 3000+ ft Elevation where I am at in the high desert, up here its best to use a 10 size engine or bigger, I fly E power planes up here because the Elevation does not bother them Smile Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE
CHELLIE
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed May 27, 2015 2:00 am

Chellie, actually that flight of Ron's occurred at 4,300 ft. elevation. Location was the MADS (Model Airplane Driver Society) AMA flying field at the Ned Houk public park lands belonging to the city of Clovis, NM. I was the one releasing the plane for Ron.

Ron's is powered by an .049 Tee Dee. However, at our elevation (Ron's was visiting Clovis at the time), the reed valve engine don't do as well. You are correct if referring to reedies, smallest engine I'm using is a .15 for CL.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed May 27, 2015 6:46 am

that's interesting about the elevation, meaning the air is too thin? Cribbs stated it was a medallion he had on it , either way it had plenty of gettie up to it ! Had a bad neck day from tilling and putting the monakote on see if I can get the rudder assy. and tail skid on today so I can bal. for the CG passion with the engine ( most likely 049 medallion ) will bee the power . may have to tone it down a bit to keep from loosing my mine going in circles , I am excited about it though that and the baby ringmaster to maiden in one day will either bee good or bad lol! Thanks for the replys and I do like colors tongue
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed May 27, 2015 8:14 am

Makes sense that reed engines suffer in thin air. After all, the reed valve is opened by the external air pressure... Never thought of it that way.

Maybe there should be some thinner/more flexible reeds available for higher altitudes?
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 am

getback wrote:that's interesting about the elevation, meaning the air is too thin? Cribbs stated it was a medallion he had on it , either way it had plenty of gettie up to it !
My bad, I thought it was a Tee Dee. Medallion is IMO basically a slightly detuned Tee Dee, still is more powerful than a Cox reedie.

KariFS wrote:Makes sense that reed engines suffer in thin air. After all, the reed valve is opened by the external air pressure... Never thought of it that way. Maybe there should be some thinner/more flexible reeds available for higher altitudes?
It's not a matter of the reed valve assembly, has to do with the reduced ambient pressure. At 4,300 feet (1,311 m), atmospheric is about 12.5 psia (0.85 atm). At 6,500 feet (1,981 m), it is about 11.5 psia (0.78 atm). In a crude sense you are producing 85% of your sea level horsepower at 4,300 ft., and 78% of your sea level hp at 6,500 ft. This corresponds to a 15% and 22% power loss respectively.

In this higher desert, the land is flat. we don't have much trees and structures to lessen the winds near the ground. With reduced hp, the reedies can't keep decent line tension with the wind.

I found though you can fly RC, provided your aircraft is constructed light and has sufficient wing area. I flew my Q-Tee on Black Widow power in Gallup, NM at 6,500 feet on a 6x3 or 6x4 Masters prop. Q-Tee has generous wing area. Interestingly, prop sizes have a more dramatic effect at elevation. A 5x4 prop on my Q-Tee produced the same air speed as a 6x3 prop at sea level. At 6,500 ft., it barely produced enough lift and Q-Tee was struggling to maintain altitude.

Gallup has mountains to reduce wind speeds near the ground. I don't fly reedies in Clovis because of its terrainless features. Here, my Q-Tee is powered by a Norvel Big Mig .061 CL/FF engine. It is Tee Dee like in power and has good wind penetration on the Q-Tee.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed May 27, 2015 10:56 am

KariFS wrote:Makes sense that reed engines suffer in thin air. After all, the reed valve is opened by the external air pressure... Never thought of it that way.

Maybe there should be some thinner/more flexible reeds available for higher altitudes?
In addition to the ambient air pressure, the reed is forced open by the vacuum pulled by the displacement of the rising piston. Incidentally it's the remains of that same vacuum that causes the crankcase to inhale fresh air at TDC on SPI engines. By then, the crankcase vacuum has been partially relieved by the inflow from the venturi. Lots of wasted energy compared to a rotary valve that gulps wide open outside air for a few degrees of rotation. That's also why SPI isn't quite as beneficial to a rotary.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  CHELLIE Wed May 27, 2015 3:55 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Chellie, actually that flight of Ron's occurred at 4,300 ft. elevation. Location was the MADS (Model Airplane Driver Society) AMA flying field at the Ned Houk public park lands belonging to the city of Clovis, NM. I was the one releasing the plane for Ron.

Ron's is powered by an .049 Tee Dee. However, at our elevation (Ron's was visiting Clovis at the time), the reed valve engine don't do as well. You are correct if referring to reedies, smallest engine I'm using is a .15 for CL.

Yea, Its the reed engines that dont like the higher elevation, Its good to know that the TD engines will work up here Smile
CHELLIE
CHELLIE
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next