Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

P.A.W. 100 Starting Procedure Cox_ba12

P.A.W. 100 Starting Procedure Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 12:20 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

P.A.W. 100 Starting Procedure Empty
Live on Patrol

P.A.W. 100 Starting Procedure

Go down

P.A.W. 100 Starting Procedure Empty P.A.W. 100 Starting Procedure

Post  NEW222 Wed May 27, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi all. Hopefully tomorrow I will try starting my P.A.W. 100 and would like to see if anyone could possibly help me with starting the darn little thing. Unfortunately all I was able to get was a black fuel line in the correct size. But anyways, I read the instructions online but could not see a number given for turns of the needle. As in an earlier topic I started, it was loaned to me to try out. It was stuck, so i bathed it and freed it up, with the exception of the compression screw. I installed a Master Airscrew 7 x 4 on it. I was hoping that the previous owner had left it set, as it does not adjust, but i can remove the screw, hoping that a run or two will allow it to free up on its own. It does have a 'snap' to it as well as good compression. So, if anyone could please help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am assuming that I do not need to squirt fuel in the venturi, or would that be alright to do that to see if it fires up? Thank you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

P.A.W. 100 Starting Procedure Empty Re: P.A.W. 100 Starting Procedure

Post  gossie Wed May 27, 2015 11:30 pm

Mount engine solidly.
Mount tank solidly close to engine and hook up the fuel line.
Screw needle right home, then open it 2 or 3 turns.    You will need to adjust that to run it on song.
Prop. at about 45% when coming onto compression.
Fill tank and choke fuel through to intake by placing finger over venturi and turning motor over slowly.
Put one drop only of fuel into venturi or choke a very little into it.
Put one drop only into exhaust.
Turn motor over slowly to make sure it's free, then flick HARD.   Flick hard until it fires.

Flicking motor over should free the contra piston, so suggest back the lever back a 1/4 turn.

Is your fuel good?    Can make a huge difference on a diesel.    I always mix my own.

Good luck and let's know how you go. Smile
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Ok. Gave it its first try this evening. Mixed up 1/3 kerosene, 1/3 Sig castor oil, 1/3 starting fluid. I used a syringe and put a few drops in the venturi, and a drop or two on the piston. Quite a few flicks later, it ran its prime. So I repeated the procedure again. Ran fine again after a few flicks. Then it had no compression. So I tried tightening the bolt on the head a bit and to my surprise, it moved. Did this a few times with success. Then I mixed up another small batch of fuel. This time all I was able to get was a very rough type of run, if you could call it that. It was slow enough I would have been comfortable using my gloved hand to stop the prop. I was not able to get a steady type of run as I did earlier. Would this be due to not enough starting fluid/ether? Any help would again be greatly appreciated.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Forgot to mention that I do not have a fuel tank for this fuel, so I have to run it by prime only until I can find a tank somewhere around here. Or find the time to make something. This is why I am only able to use a syringe and run it off of prime. If I get it running, which should I adjust first, the needle valve, or the head bolt? Thanks again.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Thu May 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Sounds like it's over compressed now. Not good as may bend the conrod. or even break the crank pin off the shaft.

Get a tank and set up as suggested, move the comp. lever back, fuel up, prime then flick and the contra piston will go back to where it was.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu May 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Use another syringe with the plunger removed as a open top fuel tank. Free flight like this arrangement since the fuel level is directly visible, and graduated. Works good on a test stand too.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 28, 2015 9:59 pm

Ok Phil. I have a question then for you. I had tried that earlier, but it seemed that the syringe was steady flowing, very slowly, but it was moving, so I went back to the 'prime' and fire routine. Is there possibly something I did wrong? I have a skewer standing up a couple inches away from the fuel nipple, tied it up in place then filled. Thank you again.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Thu May 28, 2015 10:30 pm

NEW222 wrote:  ...So I tried tightening the bolt on the head a bit and to my surprise, it moved.  Did this a few times with success.  Then I mixed up another small batch of fuel.  This time all I was able to get was a very rough type of run, if you could call it that.  It was slow enough I would have been comfortable using my gloved hand to stop the prop.  I was not able to get a steady type of run as I did earlier.  Would this be due to not enough starting fluid/ether?  Any help would again be greatly appreciated.  

Are you referring to the compression screw as "bolt on the head"? Sometimes if you start it WAY over-compressed it will fire, then fire again as it comes up on compression so that it literally flip-flops back and forth without making a complete revolution. If this happens, usually you can lower compression while it is firing and it will start running in one direction.

If you can get commercial fuel I would suggest doing so. Learning to start and run primes before using a tank is a good decision. This provides you with starting compression and running settings. For initial needle settings if you do not have instructions, start with the needle closed. Open a turn and try choking. Open another turn and choke again. When it pulls fuel into the carb or venturi use that for a starting position and be ready to adjust.

The most important advice I can provide is to seek help. Someone helping and showing you makes things much easier and shortens the learning curve.

Good luck.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu May 28, 2015 10:40 pm

The fuel in the open syringe is going to seek level, so the fluid level and the needle need to be at the same height.  This is different from setting the pickup at the height of the intake since the installed system is movable, and this is not, sinc eit is on a test stand.  

Just rubber band the syringe to a support so you can push it up or down.  Until you can start consistently on prime don't worry about more fuel.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down