Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Today at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Today at 4:32 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:31 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Today at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Yesterday at 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Yesterday at 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cleaning engines crock pot style

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Empty Crock Pot strainer

Post  roddie Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:11 am

I decided to make my own strainer for my 2qt. crock pot. It saved me a few bucks.. as I had everything I needed here in my shop. Most store-bought kitchen-strainers are conical.. and won't sit level on the floor of the pot. A "can" has more contact-area at the bottom.. and less liquid can be used in the pot. It turned-out that a 28oz. "diced-tomatoes" tin-can was just the right size for the pots' lid to fit properly. That was my primary concern. My can's measurements were 4" dia. by 4.625" high.

I had a remnant-roll of hardware-cloth (1/4" squares) to use as a screen.. and a wire clothes-hanger for making a handle.

I started-out by cutting the bottom out of the can using the kitchen can-opener. I traced the cut-out onto the paper-wrapper that I peeled from the can. I then taped the paper to the hardware-cloth so I could see the line for cutting with tin-snips/shears.

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Crock_11

To provide support for the screen-floor, I drilled 4 holes for machine-screws/lock-nuts.

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Crock_12

The clothes-hanger wire was cut and then formed around a smaller can to achieve a tighter radius. Two short 90 degree bends pass through holes drilled in the top of the can. Wheel-collars (3/32" size) secure it. They also prevent scratching your hand when reaching into the can.

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Crock_13

I want to source some "fine" metal screen to lay atop the coarse one, to keep small parts/screws from falling through. The hardware cloth provides for a "rigid" sub-floor.. and is easily removable for cleaning.

The pot-lid fits with minimal clearance.

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Crock_14

This was really easy to make.. and didn't cost me a penny. Smile

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Empty Re: Cleaning engines crock pot style

Post  fredvon4 Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:22 am

Roddie

Test your invention FIRST with a item you do not like or need

Seems to me some of my problems with Ultra sonic and crock pot cleaning was from dissimilar metals all inter-reacting in the chemicals and causing the bad discoloration....may just have been as other noted too long a dip dunno

Stainless steel is the usual strainer metal....not sure how your galvanized wire mesh is gonna react in the so called aluminum safe anti freeze
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Empty Re: Cleaning engines crock pot style

Post  roddie Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 am

That's sound advice Phred.. thanks! Thumbs Up I have some crankcases that are junk. I'll test one of them first. The inside of the can also has a white coating that could cause some issues if it dissolves during the cook.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Nice job roddie. I like the whole idea, folding down handle and all. I use something similar but smaller, I think it was once a pencil holder. Works well for sandblasting too holding small parts while covering the top with my other gloved hand.

Fred's concern may be legitimate, but A/F is designed to be quite forgiving. Still a running test would be in order. Let us know how it works out. And wow, Top Poster...5500 slipped by sometime ago without me noticing.

Value those cut nippers, they look vintage.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:05 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Nice job roddie.  I like the whole idea, folding down handle and all.  I use something similar but smaller, I think it was once a pencil holder.  Works well for sandblasting too holding small parts while covering the top with my other gloved hand.  

Fred's concern may be legitimate, but A/F is designed to be quite forgiving. Still a running test would be in order.  Let us know how it works out.  And wow, Top Poster...5500 slipped by sometime ago without me noticing.  

Value those cut nippers, they look vintage.  

Bob

Thanks Bob! You know.. I owe you one pal. Regarding the "nippers".. I couldn't remember where they came from. Because of you; I decided to clean them up a bit with some 0000 steel wool.

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Dsc05121
Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Dsc05122

but on the other side..

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Dsc05123

V.B.F. was my Grandfathers initials; Vincent Ballou Franklin.. my mom's father. He always etched his initials into his tools.. and many other personal items. He was born in 1912.. and I was his 1st grandchild.

Here's a Fox .35 that he gave me back in the early 1990's..

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Dsc05124

Note the old-vintage wrench with "VIN" engraved. One end was ground to fit the prop-nut.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Way to go Roddie "McGiver"
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:17 pm

They caught my eye roddie because I have their cousin.

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Cutter10

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Cutter11

They have been in my family forever.  I use them frequently for cutting wet/dry paper and sandpaper to shape.  Now you have prompted me to clean mine up.  Smile

On second thought they are close enough to be brothers. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:35 pm

When in doubt with stuff in your antifreeze, you can go to a automotive paint supplier or bodyshop and get a paint strainer or two and run your antifreeze through that to clean out the pot of debris. And last thought since you are posting things about strainers. Firstly, they are an awesome idea that I never thought of. Secondly regarding the concern of them being conical and not sitting flat on the floor of the crock pot, I was thinking of using a block of wood, can, etc to make the bottom flat as you would like? Just a thought when I saw this part mentioned.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Empty The "system"..

Post  roddie Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 am

I was getting ready to soak a couple of disassembled engines in my little Crock-Pot slow-cooker.. but wanted a means to also soak tiny parts such as screws.. so I made a small strainer-cup.

I had a small-size stainless-mesh drain-strainer leftover from a 3-pack I'd bought at Walmart years ago. The "rim-band" is crimped on.. but the mesh can be pulled inward to remove it from the band. This allows the mesh to be compressed slightly.

As it turns out; a small (6oz.) tomato-"PASTE" can was the perfect size for my micro-strainer cup!

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Micro-10
Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Micro-11
Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Micro-12
Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Micro-13

Some notes; I used a 6oz. Contadina-brand tomato-paste can.. which had the same rim for a standard can-opener on both ends.. as I wanted the bottom of my strainer-cup "open". The "stackable" cans don't have this. I installed four tiny (#2) sheet-metal screws equidistant; approx. one inch from the bottom of the can, and installed the mesh through the top of the can. The screws retain the mesh from slipping-down.

The SS mesh drain-strainers that I bought; came in a 3-pack of sizes 2" (the one I used).. 3" and 4". The 3" strainer would be a good fit in a 8oz. size tin-can. These cans are shorter.. but slightly bigger-around than the 6oz. can.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Just for grins I checked ebay (ebay has everything) for the pencil holder that I use in my crock pot.  $1.65 shipped free from China.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Steel-Mesh-Desk-Pen-Pencil-Organiser-Cup-Holder-Office-School-Supplier-B3/122931821341?epid=1869505873&hash=item1c9f4ebb1d:g:IIIAAOSwLs9aaVi6

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Pencil10

I also use it for sand blasting small parts. I just cover the top with my gloved hand and blast away.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Brilliant minds think alike......... Laughing

I just put some engine-parts in... to cook!!!! This is HUGE for me.. lol! I don't get a whole lot accomplished compared to most of you guys...

My little micro-can/strainer easily holds "two" disassembled Cox .049 reed-valve engines.. LESS their plastic "back-ends". I didn't want to chance having the plastic horseshoe-type backplate/carbs and their cap-type/flanged reed-retainers getting damaged. There would have been plenty of room for them. I'm sure though; that a "pair" of Cox 8cc-tanked reed-valve engines (disassembled) would fit.

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Prep_f10
Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Prep_f11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:00 pm

rsv1cox wrote:They caught my eye roddie because I have their cousin.

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Cutter10

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Cutter11

They have been in my family forever.  I use them frequently for cutting wet/dry paper and sandpaper to shape.  Now you have prompted me to clean mine up.  Smile

On second thought they are close enough to be brothers. Smile

Bob

i own those very same tinsnips, bought 'em in the early 70's, can't remember exactly what for, but likely hobby related.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Cleaning engines crock pot style - Page 2 Empty Crock pot cleaning

Post  ticomareado Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:44 pm

My main issue with crock potting completely assembled gunk seized engines is that I almost invariably ruin otherwise salvagable and reusable paper gaskets and I'd just about rather get a root canal than hand cut a paper gasket.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Great add-on, er, in roddie. Now that is something I can use (no pun intended). I will check out the dollar stores next week on my trip in the US. Although we now have Dollar Tree stores here, some stuff is still different. So strainer is now on my shopping list. I do however wonder about the wire screen door mesh? I wonder if that would work? I guess there is only one way to find out now..... Now I just have to get me a gunked up/stuck need-some-cleaning engine to try that theory on. Again, thanks for the tip!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 am

ticomareado wrote:My main issue with crock potting completely assembled gunk seized engines is that I almost invariably ruin otherwise salvagable and reusable paper gaskets and I'd just about rather get a root canal than hand cut a paper gasket.  

It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't thing Victor.

I find crock potted or hot Simple Green immersed complete engines come apart easier than cold engines lessening damage to screw heads and parts. I destroyed a few Wen-Max (mostly) engines before I discovered that procedure right here on this forum.

Now, I heat badly castor locked engines with a heat gun then loosen the case and head screws, then dump in the crock pot or in hot Simple Green. This allows the solution to soften gaskets which are then peeled off quite easily saving most. Not so important in our Cox engines as gaskets are readily available, but important in other engines. But after removing the gasket, they must be quickly dried then oiled to prevent drying out and curling.

I invested in a complete set of punches that I use to cut out gaskets. But tracing the outside of a case then cutting the outline is a pain for sure.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:46 am

fredvon4 wrote:Roddie

Seems to me some of my problems with Ultra sonic and crock pot cleaning was from dissimilar metals all inter-reacting in the chemicals and causing the bad discoloration...

Try soaking them in lemon juice after they get discolored.
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:04 pm

badbill wrote:

Seems to me some of my problems with Ultra sonic and crock pot cleaning was from dissimilar metals all inter-reacting in the chemicals and causing the bad discoloration...

I was also wondering about vinegar. Has anyone tried vinegar, yet?
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:49 pm

fit90 wrote:
badbill wrote:

Yes, I tried vinegar to no avail. Didn't even come close to touching it. Tried Alcohol and ammonia too with the same result, this on darkened Simple Green treated die cast cases and glow heads.

Lemon juice next time. Acidic, seems like it would work.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:05 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
fit90 wrote:
badbill wrote:

Yes, I tried vinegar to no avail.  Didn't even come close to touching it.  Tried Alcohol and ammonia too with the same result, this on darkened Simple Green treated die cast cases and glow heads.  

Lemon juice next time. Acidic, seems like it would work.

Bob

Thank you for the reply. That is just one less thing that I lose time finding out doesn't work.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2