Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I want to ask Santa for a mini table saw - Page 2 Cox_ba12

I want to ask Santa for a mini table saw - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» B-25 Mitchell
by roddie Today at 3:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 2:23 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Pinkbeachbomb Today at 2:23 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:54 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 6:52 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I want to ask Santa for a mini table saw - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

I want to ask Santa for a mini table saw

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I want to ask Santa for a mini table saw - Page 2 Empty Re: I want to ask Santa for a mini table saw

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:01 am

This thread was from last Christmas 2015, and I quit shopping for a mini table saw after I concluded that there were no affordable new ones that suited my quality and safety needs. When it comes to safety, I am anal about things that can cause immediate medical attention. Not so much about vapors, but I do protect my eyes and other things that I don't care to incorporate into my flying machines.

And I actually have improvised with my jigsaw in a way much like Jim mentions, meaning; turn it upside down and hold it in my big bench vise. Now after reading Jim's suggestion, I'm inspired to do some more improvisation using a plate I believe have left over from an antique bandsaw I sold before I knew I'd ever be doing woodwork.

Four holes and some tongue clamps with lock nuts to secure the jigsaw plate underneath it should work nicely, and be easy to mount a rip fence on. Thanks for the brilliant suggestion, Jim. I am going to the shop and try this as soon as I post this message, because I am ready to start cutting wood.

Ken, I'm aware there are some carpenters on the forum, and you're my go-to guy if I have a question. I'm going to make a 45 degree angle tool small enough to use within the confines of ribs and the tight spaces, so I can make quality glue joints. Now, should I cut the angles on a spar from front to back or top to bottom? Front to back seems logical. I'll save my next question for after I prove I can make an angular joint.
Thanks,
Rusty

P.S.: any further discussion of this project should be posted in my wing thread.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

I want to ask Santa for a mini table saw - Page 2 Empty Re: I want to ask Santa for a mini table saw

Post  fredvon4 Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:07 am

The biggest problem with Jig saw contraptions is the up and down of those blades chatters the heck out of the wood and they are not very good for small thin material cutting

we have a similar problem with scroll saw and wrong blade sometimes but not near as dramatic as the upside down saber/jig saw

I had a spare/extra Jig saw and made the table for it from plans in a wood working magazine... it works but is NOT my go to tool for a delicate precise cut

The Rockwell Saw in Home Depot or Lowes is simply a Jig saw upside down... I saw (pun) one demoed at Lowe's and the entire tool vibrates a lot

Incra Tools has excellent kits to make all sorts of guides, sleds, precision band saw or router tops with fences

I have one of the junk HF 4" table saws that might get a decent small table top and fence made for it one of these days
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2