Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Cox_ba12

Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Empty
Live on Patrol

Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga

Go down

Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Empty Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga

Post  TDbandit Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:04 am

Hi all I know long time for a flight report from me lol, anyway it's been a while since we last flew due to mother nature "mostly" so here it is enjoy!

Saturday morning was forecasted to be nice with mild winds and temps so Bill and myself loaded up our birds and equipment and headed out to the GAMA field for some fun! Once we arrived it was immediately apparent that Mother nature had some tricks in store for us and since Bill had some new models to maiden I suggested that we get those out of the way first JUST in case things got interesting and man did it get interesting later lol.

First up was bills Brand new TD .051 propelled Brodak Baby Flight Streak complete with Tornado 5x3 prop and Merlin head LOL. I know you all are probably wondering why I said LOL, well keep reading! we fueled the redcap with 25% champion and once I got er primed I lit er off and holy H*** did it take off which took bill as well as myself by supprize it was meaner than my TD for once. Bill then headed out to the handle all the while I was thinking Umm, you really want me to let this thing go well Bill picked up the handle checked the controls and gave me the signal and I let it go and off it went like a swarm of rabid killer bees out for blood. It was hauling butt good god it was quick he put it through a few loops and they went so fast it was hard to count them. I initially fueled it with about an oz of fuel which runs a TD about 4 min, that turned out to be a mistake because after the TD decided to quit torturing bill he was so dizzy he almost fell backwards it also quit at the top of a loop which forced a less than graceful landing "Unintentional durability test #1" Which resulted in no damage.

Here's a pic of the little demon here:
 Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Badbil10

Next up after a little rest after the TD attack was Bills new Brodak ringmaster S1 ARF powered by a new LA .25S which had zero run time on it. Again we set it up, checked and rechecked the controls and we fueled it up, I set er kinda rich to keep a little heat out of the engine since it was technically brand new and upon the signal I released it and off it went for a smooth easy going flight. Bill put it through some maneuvers including horizontal eights basic loops and the like all did well considering the rich engine run. On the second flight, I switched out the prop with BY&O 9x5 put a little more fuel in er since the maiden flight was kinda short and leaned er a little bit to get a tad bit more power but still keep it a little wet and again upon Bills signal I launched and in went another great flight with the same results Loops, eights and inverted flight with a greaser of a landing.

Pic of Bills New RM:
 Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Ringma10

Now my turn! By the time my turn came up, the wind had begun to really kick up, gusts over 15 mph so I elected to put my OS FP .40 powered P-40 up, I set er up and fueled er up and checked everything over. I then primed er up attached the battery and gave the old OS a couple of flips and busted off happily.  After needling it a bit she settled into a nice 4 and I then went to the handle checked the controls and gave the signal and off it went. Im still getting used to it and dialing it in so not a lot happened except for a few wing overs but the good thing was, no 15 min flight like I had last time lol. My landing was..ok but still good. for the wind which was really pushing the big p-40 around Good wind practice. The second flight bill took it up for a shake down flight to check settings, one of these days I'm going to get inverted down Grrr, Fueled it again and launched er and bill put it through a basic pattern and was pleased that it did well only discrepancy was a little too much tip weight and I had to move the lead out back a 1/4 of an inch. Third flight went well got a little braver this time and did a partial loop lol and more wing overs "trying to get used to the softer controls since im used to my ringmaster and 1/2A planes which are a good bit quicker" I also scored a great landing this time.

Next was bills turn again with his Brodak .40 powered P-40. again we set it up and checked things out, then fueled er but this time the Brodak decided to test us by going rich and cutting out. First we tried needling it lean then rich hoping that it just had a bit of trash in the spray bar, that didn't work so I tried a different plug, did better but upon launch it richened up again and cut out. Bill decided to call it quits with the p-40 to take it back to the shop for a spray bar swap so that went well..*shrugs*

Now my turn again, this time with my fox powered ringmaster S1, it was late in the day so the wind was beginning to calm a bit but it was still kickin'. As usule, I fueled er up, primed it three turns flipping vigorously and connected the battery and on the first bounce it busted off easily, i then went out to the center, picked up the handle and checked to make sure its door sized elevator was moving in the right direction and gave the signal and off she went for a quick take off. Did a few loops and made a few attempts at inverted up high getting better and the fox is settling in beautifully also, runs are beginning to become much more steady, only issue was it went a little lean in the middle of the run. made a good landing at the end. Second flight went about the same just opened it up a click or two which made things much better, more wing overs and attempts at inverted flight. Got to get better at telling my pull out depth on the wing overs and again it ended with another good landing.
Third and final flight of the day was again about the same except this time i almost got a half lap inverted I know this doesn't sound like much but for the short amount of flying time that I've been able to get with the crazy weather and work i think I'm doing good Smile I almost greased a landing if it wern't for the wind catching it and up in went for a harrier landing at the end. Was a nice decent too heh. My goal is to make the meet in may in Huntersville so got to practice can't wait!!

Unforchantly due to the sudden turn in weather I was not able to get Wiley up or my bean either so they are going to have to wait till next time. But all in all we had a great time and on the plus side, I got more wind practice which was defiantly testing us that day.

Here are some more pics sorry no video's need a new hard drive for my video camera.  Flying  Small Cox Logo

My P-40 is the one with the red spinner.
 Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga P-40_p10

My ringmaster S1 waiting to fly. ignore the electric finger!
 Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Ringma11

From left to right: The Demon Streak, Wiley Wildcat and Mr Bean.
 Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Half_a10

Hope you enjoy! (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Empty Re: Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga

Post  larrys4227 Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:49 am

Great report TD ... really enjoy when you guys do these .... Smile
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Empty Re: Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga

Post  badbill Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:16 am

It was a good day ! We both had cabin fever from the weird winter down here. 20 one day, 70 the next Shocked What happened w/ the Baby Flite Streak was that the wind whipped up at the end of the flight, and when the motor quit it was upwind and immediately blew in on the lines. I was already dizzy as heck and couldn't run backwards, and it kinda plopped in on the landing gear. No damage except to my ego lol! I am going to do a motor swap to a Medallion. Can't wait to get out there again!
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:18 pm

GOOD FUN GUYS !! , Thanks for the report sounds like a good day and can relate to the weather, Hope you get her calmed down Bill sometimes fast can bee to much ! TD I need to work at the inverted myself haven't got it in my head yet lol! Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:00 pm

I can remember like yesterday some old guy ( he had to have been almost 30!, I was probably 12 ) at the field FORCING me to fly inverted. I was flying his plane, with him in the circle. He had me start extending the tops of loops , and at the same time turning the handle clockwise to horizontal. About three loops later I had it down, that simple. I think that turning the handle on the side helps you remember that down is up Cool NOW if you're still reading, here is your assignment for the day. The plane I was flying was a Manx Cat, who can show us what it looks like... VERY distinctive, flew awesome.
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Dscn2418

Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Dscn2419
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Ding Ding!!! Ken wins a greenie. There was several variations but that one is a great example. Fine flying mo-chine Smile
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:11 pm

Turning the handle horizontal to fly inverted is a tremendous help. You'll also find that by stopping your turning motion with the plane, or simply moving your hand in the opposite direction of the plane .... there is then extra pressure on the down line, thus making the plane fly up and back over to upright flight. Easy-peasy ... Smile
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:44 pm

Great flight report, Bandit and Bill, thanks for the entertainment.
The Door sized elevator comment made me laugh. That's the way they thought it should be back when the Ring was state of the art. Big elevators with enough throw to cause a sonic boom tail stall.

Bandit, one thing you talked about was pilot checking the elevator throw before signaling to go. That should be in every pilot's routine upon preparing to launch. Just like an RC pilot checking aileron throw... and paying attention to the direction lol. And flying in the wind is good to do, it makes you a better pilot. Especially now that you've got your first PA contest marked on the calendar. Always pay attention to any obstacles between you and the source of the wind, because trees and buildings can make different currents 45 feet off the ground than what you feel in the circle. Keep track of the prevailing wind to help yourself not get confused by sudden shifts in direction... when in momentary doubt, fly to the prevailing direction.
badbill wrote:...He had me start extending the tops of loops , and at the same time turning the handle clockwise to horizontal. About three loops later I had it down, that simple. I think that turning the handle on the side helps you remember that down is up...
NOW if you're still reading, here is your assignment for the day. The plane I was flying was a Manx Cat, who can show us what it looks like...
I naturally fly with my handle horizontal. When I first tried inverted laps, I just flipped the plane and flew. I was surprised myself, for some reason the visual of the wheels pointing at the sky made me take to the controls right away, and never suffered any confusion. I don't know if I'm just an inverted savant or what. Also, to this day, I'm more comfortable flying outside loops than inside. I've filmed my hand during the pattern and I have more frantic twists and corrections doing inside maneuvers... strange.

I like Your red Streak. But I suggest leaving the TD on it, and fly it with 45' lines. If you aren't using a 45' set, try it before you decide to swap to the Medallion, I think you'll like it. Or else use an APC 6x2 prop. That lets the engine scream at its happy 20+k and slows the plane down to a more manageable speed with superb authority in wingovers and such.

I like that Manx Cat, I've never heard of it. In the picture it looks like it's strictly a hand launch ship with no prop clearance.

Good going, guys, we'll be looking out for the next report.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Great flight report Bandit! Thanks for the good read. There are a few ways to hold the handle to fly inverted, I hold my handle horizontal when inverted, but to be honest I wish I hadn't gone down that road.

It makes inverted pullouts from wingovers awkward and it also meddles with inside square loops.

Something to consider, if you watch the big boys fly they hold the handle vertical at all times.

OTOH I have seen good flyers hold their handle horizontal as well.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:02 am

Check out two time World champion Igor Burger, I taught him how to hold the handle Lol.
 Flight report for Saturday the 30th 2016 at GAMA Ft. Valley Ga Igor_b10

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down