Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Balancing the Beast Cox_ba12

Balancing the Beast Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Balancing the Beast Empty
Live on Patrol

Balancing the Beast

Go down

Balancing the Beast Empty Balancing the Beast

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:46 am

The last thing I want to do is put this in the air tail heavy.

I have about a dozen of these lead fishing weights on the nose and the best I can do is a point about three inches behind the leading edge of the top wing. I usually balance about an inch back on my monoplanes but as this is a bi would that be acceptable? It looks like it would balance about an inch back of the lower wing.

Balancing the Beast Balanc10

Balancing the Beast Balanc12

Balancing the Beast Balanc14

This model cries for a larger engine and I have a .15 that would fit right in with some mods to the bearers, But the engine that is on it now came with it and I am curious as how it would do. If it flys just ok, then I may do a swap.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Balancing the Beast Empty Re: Balancing the Beast

Post  oldguy Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:51 am

rsv1cox wrote:The last thing I want to do is put this in the air tail heavy.

I have about a dozen of these lead fishing weights on the nose and the best I can do is a point about three inches behind the leading edge of the top wing.  I usually balance about an inch back on my monoplanes but as this is a bi would that be acceptable?  It looks like it would balance about an inch back of the lower wing.

Balancing the Beast Balanc10

Balancing the Beast Balanc12

Balancing the Beast Balanc14

This model cries for a larger engine and I have a .15 that would fit right in with some mods to the bearers,  But the engine that is on it now came with it and I am curious as how it would do.  If it flys just ok, then I may do a swap.

Plane looks great BOB. Clapping

Bob

oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:14 am

Bob,

This should get you in the ball park. I think you are a little aft of where you should be.

Balancing the Beast XcY7WsW

You could very well be correct about the engine. CL planes require more oomph to drag lines around. If you just plan on flying level laps it may be fine though.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:17 am

Where does the plans say the CG is and I know you have a muffler that will fit that 15 ( I would say 1" behind the LE) would bee good better save than sorry . Eric >> Ron beat me to that is that 2.5 " I cant tell ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:23 am

Way too far back.  Without the dimensions and wing areas, I couldn't give you more specifics, but just looking at the pics, I'd guestimate the balance point should be just ahead of the lower wing leading edge.  I like to balance my control line planes at 20% chord to start, then adjust from there.  Just going by the pics, I'd say to start at about the 25% chord of the upper wing.  But that's just a guestimate from the pictures.  It also looks like there's a lot of positive incidence in the upper wing compared to the lower wing?

The Out of His Hat Mark

edit: Man! there are a lot of guys looking at this forum early on a Sunday morning. Two replies between the time I started writing my reply and posting it. Ron, that drawing is good, but the lower wing is so much smaller than the top that I'd think the balance point would be farther forward than just faring a line between the two c.g. points.

batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:54 am

Yes, it seems like the angle of incidence (aka angle of attack) is out of whack on this model when compared with my Nieuport 28's and pictures of German planes of the era.  It looks greater than it should be.  But, I have not wanted to tinker with those struts or wing saddles until I was sure, Ron's picture should help.

The plans type is difficult to read and is out of focus but it looks like the balance point should be right above the front strut.

Balancing the Beast Aircra15

Looking at the AOA on the plan, against the AOA on the plane, it looks like the planes angle is a bit more severe. But I have reason to believe that the original builder flew it as it is, so it may be ok.

I have some stick on lead weights, I will have to remove the engine and make space for them ahead of the engine then tack them in incase I want to install the .15 later.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:08 pm

It may no be suitable for all model aeroplanes but I find this stuff very versatile.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Eric mentioned you having a muffler for the .09.. Will it fit? It may not be the best way to add weight to the nose though. If it's under-powered for control-line.. that will make matters worse. How about a "Harry's Heavy-Hub" prop-nut? The wood prop looks nice.. but they're are heavier props you can try.

Do the .09 and .15 share the same mount-pattern?

Does the top wing still have dihedral? Not sure how/if that affects control-line flight.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks roddie,  There is no dihedral in the top wing, I didn't build any into it because the plans don't show it and the wing saddles were built flat.  But I think it was designed for dihedral or should have been.  Flying C/L it should make no difference.

The .09 has a tighter mounting hole pattern than the .15 but I can get by that.  The problem is - even with the larger engine, prop nut, and all the stick on lead weight that I have it still balances tail heavy, a mystery to me as there has to be less tail weight than before.  But there is no battery sitting up front either.  

Balancing the Beast Bal_2_10

Balancing the Beast Bal_2_11

Perhaps if I stick to the .09, add all that nose weight, add some engine down thrust and a full tank of fuel, that will help?
Come to think of it, there was considerable down-thrust built into that .09 when I got it. Smile

Balancing the Beast Enya_012

The muffler/exhaust on the .15 is on the "wrong" side.  I would have to remove some balsa from the right side or it would restrict the exhaust while the .09 is fine in that regard.  

Bob

Last edited by rsv1cox on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Well the plane had a .049 on it so with that I would think you would need more incidence in the wing for it to get off the ground and for sure not a fast flier but just to float with more power its going to want to climb >> a little under power flight will probably tell you a lot my Two Cents getback Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:46 pm

Sorry Bob, I forgot that you built a replacement wing. Embarassed The weight-distribution thing is often an issue with conversions. Like you said; there's no battery/servos (wherever they were located..) but fuel weight goes away.. so make sure you're well-balanced dry. I don't recall what you used for wheels.. (they look great.. btw) but if they're for an electric model, they're probably much lighter than what was on there.. or designed to be on there. You could pick-up some functional weight forward by going to a heavier set. The old set looks like they might have been Trexler inflatables? If you still have them, you could weigh the hubs for comparison.

Last edited by roddie on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wording-last sentence)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:58 pm

Bob,

You don't want or need any down thrust, it won't counteract a tail heavy issue. It will make things much worse. It may be best to just go with the .15.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:30 pm

With high lift wing platforms when the engine is at speed the excessive lift will have it climbing hence engine down thrust.
Once the engine stops your in cherry mode for a sweet landing or if in idle.

Cribbs is spot on..
For tail heavy planes its lead time, or more engine, or extend the engine mount, or heavy brass spinner nut.
Wouldn't it be nice to put a .10 size 4 stroke on the nose, the added weight would be perfect and the sound..
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Well, calling up the plans from Outerzone and expanding them on the screen, I took a ruler and measured the c.g. at the upper wing. I expanded the upper wing chord to 21cm (I was aiming for 20, but oh well.), and measured the c.g. as 5.5cm from the L.E., for a position of 26% of chord. Call it 25%. But, control line planes fly with a farther forward c.g. than RC planes do. So I'd still say start at 20% chord and move it according to flight experience.

The Thumb Ruler Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks guys, but my ignorance is showing.  Hasn't down thrust always been used to counter lift as lift is related to AOA?  

1/2 A - It seems like your first paragraph counters the second.  This flat bottomed high cambered wing should generate a lot of lift.  My thought on this is to have a model that hangs on the lines and generates just enough lift to keep it in the air because I tend to get dizzy.  

But I yield to your greater experience and common sense and will add enough nose weight to offset the heavy tail and forget about off-set.  I'm thinking about using those wheel weights which are marked in 1/8th" increments and if enough imagination is used could resemble exhaust manifolds if placed on the fuselage under the engine on each side as far forward as I can put them.  I can inlet the fuselage sides and epoxy them in.  There is just not enough space under the engine for all of them and I need to place them as far forward as I can.  If someone has a better idea please chime in.  I'm not eager to trash up this project.  

Balancing the Beast Weight10

Boy, I would love to find a .10 sized four stroke, but the smallest I have found is 26 sized.  That would be fun.  I have a 46 Enya four stroke, but it swamps the Aircrate.  But it does look great.  

Balancing the Beast 4_stro10

I may look into Ian’s “Liquid Gravity” solution as well.  I watched the video and loved the narrators accent.  Also it would work well as depicted on my model railroad rolling stock.

I appreciate all the comments and extra miles that everyone here has contributed.  Thanks Mark for going to the trouble of looking up the outerzone plan and figuring the proper CG.

I really want this model to be successful.  I will probably tag my son with it’s first flight on some soft field with tall grass.  But it will also have to ROG.  If I can figure out how to use his smart phone I should have video.

Oh yes,  Those wheels are new Williams bros. 3 1/8 inchers from Tower.  I had been using the 35 year old wheels off my N-28 but the tires are hard and worn from many landings on tarmac.  
Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Those strip-weights.. can you easily access the tank compartment? I see hatch-screws. Huh... Could you possibly tuck a pair on each side of the tank forward; just behind the firewall.. wrapped in foam-rubber padding? (no cutting/gluing into the nose needed) That plus a heavy-hub might put you in the ballpark.

According to the Harry Higley site, the Enyas .09-.11 have a 5 x .8mm prop-shaft.. for which they make a heavy-hub.. (HVY005)

Harry Higley
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:26 pm

Any chance you can REMOVE weight from the tail section. I know this is a tall order, but carving out some wood might offset a lot of weight.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:39 am

pkrankow wrote:Any chance you can REMOVE weight from the tail section.  I know this is a tall order, but carving out some wood might offset a lot of weight.

Phil

I have thought of that.  I did it once before when I removed the lightweight fillets on either side of the tail and replaced with standard spackling.  Not a big job.  Just a round router bit on a dremel and a couple of minutes then a couple of coats of sanding sealer and finish with lustrkote spray which blends in really well.  I used filler because the balsa around the tail was so rough.  I will just remove the filler and live with it.

Balancing the Beast Filler15

The problem is time, the weather looks really good the next few days, then turns rotten again.  I never have been a patient person and I want to try this thing airtime.  But, I don't want to kit it again either, so here we go.

Yes roddie, I made the hatch removable, but the tank fills most of the forward area.  There is enough balsa in the nose under the engine that I can mill out, fill with those weights then spackle over and refinish, more time expended.  

Balancing the Beast Aircra16

I have ebays Bobby Brooks on the lookout for a small four stroke.  I love the idea, it just fits for this old timer.  He has an OS 26, but I'm afraid it's to large.  I think OS made a 20 too.  Is there a 10?  

Bob

Edit add:  Oh my, look at that.  I made Diamond member dispite my many boring posts.  A few thousand more before I catch up with most of you.  The charity of the administrators and the participants here knows no bounds.  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:35 am

Cant find a 10 4 stroke but,,, I wouldn't spackle those weights in it were me , that will add weight and bee harder to remove just my thought . The weather here is nice also for a while and understand wanting to get out there ME TOO ! getback Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:59 am

To late Eric...

Balancing the Beast Weight11

Balancing the Beast Weight12

Hogged it out and didn't even hit an artery.  Smile

Balancing the Beast Weight13

Balancing the Beast Weight14

I also drilled two 2 inch holes on either side and filled with fishing line weights and cemented in place.

Balancing the Beast Weight16

Not to worry.  I can't get this model to nose heavy.  I had the .15 on it along with all those wheel weights plus the fish line weights and it was still tail heavy.

roddie thanks for that link.  If I use the .09 I will order one of his brass heavy prop nuts.  But Bob Brooks says he may have a OS 20 four stroke, that may help solve my problem.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content