Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

First Runs Of 2016 Cox_ba12

First Runs Of 2016 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

First Runs Of 2016 Empty
Live on Patrol

First Runs Of 2016

Go down

First Runs Of 2016 Empty First Runs Of 2016

Post  NEW222 Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:35 pm

The weather was ok today so I went to the garage and started up a couple of my engines for the first time this year. First engine took a few minutes to start then ran alright, it was a Babe Bee with hole through tank hooked to balloon tank. Original tank had a hole in the side, so replaced it with a back-up balloon. Original was a longer tubular style, the replacement was the standard round variety. Well, I thought what the heck fill it up. 20cc was put in and it was about only half full. So, I thought I would just start with that. Well, start it did, but it was like the energizer bunny. It just kept going and going, and going. Lesson learned. Number 2. Black Widow. Fired off prime instantly, but that was all it did. Tried again and again with only the same success. So I dismantled it and dropped it in a jar of fuel to soak. A couple hours later, removed piece by piece, cleaned and dried off. Looked all good and all orifices in the backplate were clear. I am thinking old castor may not have been allowing fresh fuel to get to the engine, hence only running off prime. To be tested again this week, time permitting. Lastly for the day was engine number three. Frank-n-Bee. Parts assembled with glowhead drilled and tapped for a standard plug. Got it all fueled up and ready to go then realized it was a hand flipper only, no starter spring or cam. So, against better judgement, after telling my father minutes before NOT to use an electric starter on these engines, I tried it. A second later, literally only a touch, and it went. It was never a good strong runner, but it sounded as good as it did last year. Thinking of resetting the piston a bit, and installing a new head gasket. I ran a few tanks through it and it went fine, again, using the starter. The only thing is that it runs for approximately one minute and fifteen seconds. This may be though due to the fact the pick-up tube is oriented for control line and was now being run upright as it would be installed so am thinking it was not using all the fuel as it only took about 3cc per refill. This engine I think will go on my Lil' Jumpin' Bean as it will be tamer than the others. Anyways, rant over, and thought I would share.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

First Runs Of 2016 Empty Re: First Runs Of 2016

Post  NEW222 Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Ok. Engine number two, my Black Widow was screwed up today again to the bench. After fuelling again, only a short little brrrrrap. Three times in a row. Tried adjusting the needle with no major success. So, again against better judgement, out came my starter. Only a light touch and away it went. Fired up and ran. Ran three tanks through it and as doing so, it steadied out and was running better each time. I only used the starter to get her going initially, and every time after that, it was just a flick counter clockwise. Not even using the spring starter. So, all in all, it was a success. I will now mount these in their respectable airframes and go have fun! Only a couple engines to go.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:36 am

On the Bees, cover one of the vents while pressurizing the other with fuel prior to starting. This will force feed the engine and it can also free up a stuck reed. It can also flood the engine so use caution equally. You don't have to provide too much pressure to force the fuel up. You may already know this, I just thought I would add it. Many times due to sitting the needle seat becomes clogged and it doesn't take much to stop the fuel flow so blowing out the needle seat can also alleviate some frustration. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 pm

Ken Cook wrote:              On the Bees, cover one of the vents while pressurizing the other with fuel prior to starting. This will force feed the engine and it can also free up a stuck reed. It can also flood the engine so use caution equally. You don't have to provide too much pressure to force the fuel up. You may already know this, I just thought I would add it. Many times due to sitting the needle seat becomes clogged and it doesn't take much to stop the fuel flow so blowing out the needle seat can also alleviate some frustration. Ken

Thanks Ken. I did not actually know about the vent trick. All is well now, but i will keep this in mind for the next time. And I am sure that there will be a next time!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum