Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Twister Wing - Maiden Flight Report from the Zaerodrome - Page 5 Cox_ba12

Twister Wing - Maiden Flight Report from the Zaerodrome - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 10:52 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:34 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Tue May 07, 2024 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Twister Wing - Maiden Flight Report from the Zaerodrome - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

Twister Wing - Maiden Flight Report from the Zaerodrome

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Twister Wing - Maiden Flight Report from the Zaerodrome - Page 5 Empty Re: Twister Wing - Maiden Flight Report from the Zaerodrome

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:01 am

Is it stripped or is it turning? You can tap it for a 5-40 Cox screw.Not the best thing to do, but it could work. There's really not enough meat in the existing threads to do that but crazier things have happened.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Twister Wing - Maiden Flight Report from the Zaerodrome - Page 5 Empty Re: Twister Wing - Maiden Flight Report from the Zaerodrome

Post  RknRusty Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Ken Cook wrote:                  Is it stripped or is it turning? You can tap it for a 5-40 Cox screw.Not the best thing to do, but it could work. There's really not enough meat in the existing threads to do that but crazier things have happened.
That's exactly what I did, knowing it would be temporary but adequate for a quick fix without needing to remove the engine. It was stripped, but when I was tapping it for 5-40, it started turning. I got it snug enough for a couple of good running flights, but you could tell by the last flight it wasn't running quite right. But at least I got the flaps tweaked and the wings are level now in both directions. No other trimming was needed, and she only gained an ounce or so after the repair. Not sure exactly since the tank was full when I put it on the scale. And I don't know if Bob's scales match mine either. I don't know how much 4 ounces of fuel weighs. Bob guiesses about 3 oz. So she's in the 42 oz. range. It was 41.7 before the wreck.

I have some details to finish, like carving a fairing to cover the pushrod hole in the wing, plus the Vinyl Tazz letters and numbers. I did a much better job of setting up my controls; from the bellcrank to the flaps and elevator, they are all in lock-step with exact throw proportions in all directions, and feather-touch free movements. Otherwise it flies like the same old Twister. And much prettier than the goofy looking Sig version.

Boy, was it hot! I haven't sweated so much in a year and there was barely a decent breeze for most of the day. But Bob's shop is chillin' and we took a lot of breaks in there.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:58 pm

Good news! Thanks for the update, perhaps you can do the same to the Osprey? Just a thought.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:33 am

Sounds good , did You fly the trim runs or Bob,Wayne ? Yea the heat has been a pain here not much you want to do outside till sunset , The humidity is Hi as usually and that makes it even nicer Hot It sure didn't take long for the engine to start running difft. on you , glad you got her home for a better fix !! Clapping
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 am

Lordy, the Osprey. I look at its broken bones frequently. Maybe after the new Cardinal, the Sterling Mustang, the three Stuntman 23s, the faux Hyper Viper, test running the Conquest................. Lol.

Eric, Wayne flew the Twister. My hip was so deflicted, after I launched it I couldn't get up off the damn ground. Kneeling out in the open field with nothing to pull up on. After he landed and saw me looking like a prairie dog, Wayne came over and gave me a lift. Rolling Eyes

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:43 pm

Sorry about your hip Rus..  Man, if it isn't one thing, it's another. I've been nursing a "groin-strain".. Rolling Eyes  Second one within a year. Trying to get sleep is the worst part. It's an intermittent on and off throb every minute or so.. just enough to keep me from falling-off to sleep. I was prescribed 500mg Naproxen every 12 hrs. for 5 days. My legs are really strong.. and if I'm not careful, this is what can happen.

You mentioned "three" Stunt-Man 23's..... I used to love flying mine! She's not exactly flyable anymore.. Laughing

Twister Wing - Maiden Flight Report from the Zaerodrome - Page 5 Stuntm10

I used to run a Golden Bee on her.

I assume you might run a rotary-valve engine on at least one of yours?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Roddie, I bought the Stuntman trio lumber 2-3 years ago including Sig airfoils with high hopes of rekindling my 1/2A activities. I promised Rat9000 I'd build him one of the three and have so far disappointed him. He even sent me a nice clean Medallion which I actually flipped over yesterday and it feels like a new engine. It's the only material promise I have made to any of our members on which I have completely failed to deliver, and I feel really bad about it. Apparently not bad enough to get off my ass and do it. I somehow limit my shop time to things I consider too urgent to back-burner, and never get any whimsical modeling time. Just like your mufflers and Bee throttle. They ain't lost, I've just not run a Bee in a couple of years aside from CEF contests. I have used some wheels you made though, both as tail wheels and for the Reed Speed Mustang. And engine shims, the aluminum ones. The other sandwiched ones melted Lol.

And yes, I'd use Medallions on the two Stuntmen I keep. I have one of Watt's old 23s that looks like a twin of yours. Remember my old one, "Green Death" with the chopped rear. I never fatally wrecked it, but just wore it out. Wore-It-Out! Lol. It was my testbed for learning about balloons and bladders, and the airframe for my first Fit90 Tee Dee after it got so heavy a Bee wouldn't heft it.
Ol' Crusty Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5