Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Rattle can" paints? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

"Rattle can" paints? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Rattle can" paints? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

"Rattle can" paints?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Rattle can" paints? - Page 2 Empty Re: "Rattle can" paints?

Post  roddie Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:04 pm

Resurrecting this thread... Shocked after almost 7 years.. I've done a little bit of rattle-can spray painting since then. After applying various fillers and sanding.. I've used Rust-Oleum grey automotive "primer" over bare-wood on just about all of my paint-jobs.

"Rattle can" paints? - Page 2 Dsc05510

"Rattle can" paints? - Page 2 Dsc05511

Add my current TBD-1 build to the model list on the primer's cap. I've always top-coated this primer with acrylic enamel indoor/outdoor rattle-can coatings from both Rust-Oleum and Krylon.

As many of you know... my airplanes haven't had much (if any) flight-time logged.. so the paint has had a LOT of time to "gas-off".. and hence; cure completely.

For the most part; I followed the application directions.. and opted for the "several light coats" each within an hour option.. or else wait the recommended 48 hours cure-time in-between.

My finishes haven't been exposed to glow fuel for several seasons which isn't the norm I realize.. but I think that they'll be more resistant now, than if they had glow-fuel exposure within a few weeks of having a final coat.

We may find that it's better to let an acrylic enamel rattle-can finish cure for an extended period... before exposing it to model fuel.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:46 am

Roddie, I am not sure if acrylic paints resist glow fuel. I use polyurethane based paints that are known to resist..they are used to paint the body of model cars powered by glow engines.

I suggest you do a smear test on the painted surface with a piece of rag damped in fresh fuel, before you start the engine.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:42 pm

Roddie, I agree with you that a long time for the finish to gas off will give a better chance than if it was still fresh…. Too find out for sure maybe make up a test piece similar to how you coat your planes, Let it age as you think appropriate, Then subject it to fuel and the hot exhaust on your engine test stand…. The only thing I can add from experience is from the Zoomslot Saucer I recently made…. Gold Rustoleum over silver tissue, Top coated with a couple of thin, wiped on coats of spar varnish,…. In general holding up OK… Except for right behind the engine pod where the varnish and paint are letting go somewhat…. I think it was exhaust heat more than chemistry…The finish was aged about a week before flying…. Might have stayed better if I would have waited longer
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:59 pm

How time fly's. I started this thread back in 2016 asking about the practicality of "rattle can" paints stating that all I used was "dope" and doubting the use of rattle cans.

Now, all I use are rattle can paints. The only paints that I have found to be "fuel proof" are the two part epoxy's. Hobby Poxy for one. I used it on two planes which I still have and the finishes are as good as new despite many flights.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Rattle can" paints? - Page 2 Empty acrylic enamels

Post  roddie Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:06 pm

I'm counting on it being fairly fuel resistant through hearsay. I have also been using "clear-gloss" for topcoat.. and/or around the firewall/nose. It's solvent-based.. and solvent is required for clean-up.

That's all that I've been using.. in one form or the other on my last 6 builds. I haven't flown any of them yet. My Rare Bear was a test-bed for Top-Flite's "Lustre-Kote" 7501 Crystal Clear Gloss. I fogged the whole model two or three times.. and it has had a little fuel exposure from two separate sessions; neither of which resulted in getting airborne.

The base color is Rust-Oleum "Satin White" enamel and the gold trim color is Rust-Oleum metallic "Gold Rush". Neither of them have enamel appearing on the label. I used a plastic primer (again; Rust-Oleum) under the Gold Rush paint on the cowling.

Note below; a current image of the Rare Bear that shows how the Lustre-Kote not only yellowed.. but broke-down behind the cowling on the outboard side.

"Rattle can" paints? - Page 2 Finish10

Granted.. the cowling does concentrate the hot exhaust right at that area on the topside of the wing. The rest of the model's finish is intact.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2