Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

January at the Fort - Time to try flying again Cox_ba12

January at the Fort - Time to try flying again Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

January at the Fort - Time to try flying again Empty
Live on Patrol

January at the Fort - Time to try flying again

Go down

January at the Fort - Time to try flying again Empty January at the Fort - Time to try flying again

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:34 pm

November 17th was the day the spinal chord in my neck pinched during my first wingover and shorted out everything below like a thunderbolt. So it's been two months and I felt like it was time to try again. I'd shadow flown the maneuvers with no problem, so I was optimistic.

Threw the Cardinal in the car and off to the fort I went to meet up with Wayne and club Prez. Jim. I flew high while he walked out to the center with me to take over if necessary. I got all set and pulled up, easy, I didn't want to be too aggressive and bang it, but it was a full-on 90 degree pass. Blammo! Sparks flew like a bucket of saltwater thrown into my main breaker box. I decided to come out of inverted into the second half and go over the top without looking up, but still got shocked again because I had to look up slightly, lest it hit the ground before I turn. I tried some simple loops, but the damage had been done and I couldn't even follow through to fly a round loop. So I handed off to Wayne and laid down while he flew it out. Then I got up and walked out of the circle after a couple of minutes before he landed. To say the least, I'm disappointed. To say the worst, I'm a little mad. Still having aftershocks but not as severe as November.

So I s'pose I can fly round and round and upside down all day long. And after some time passes, maybe I'll be able to fly loops, 8s, and all the 45 degree-high maneuvers. I'm sure I can learn to do a quality wingover without watching the plane, but don't expect any of the other overheads to be possible. Maybe from outside the circle I'll get to where I can look high enough to be a judge.

After I got my wits about me, I pitted for Wayne a few times and had a good time sitting and talking for a couple of hours. After all, it was a brutal January day, 75 degrees, no wind and not a cloud in the sky. Or so I'm told, Lol.

And that's a wrap.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

January at the Fort - Time to try flying again Empty Re: January at the Fort - Time to try flying again

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Well that's not what I wanted to hear. I bet while practicing at home it was ok, but when in the field with your shoulder being pulled it aggravated things.

You may just need a longer break, is there any way you can do physical therapy?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

January at the Fort - Time to try flying again Empty Re: January at the Fort - Time to try flying again

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Rusty, I would sit this out for a while and not get depressed in doing so. Injuries like this can take a lot longer than 2 months to heal. I've had these experiences myself. They just don't fully go away in short periods of time.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:49 pm

jeez, sorry to hear buddy, i hope you can work thru it.

I have degenerate disc disease in my neck and lower back, so i live on ibuprofen daily. Have you looked at physical therapy?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:13 am

Well that sucks big time. I hope it's like the other guys suggested in that some more time will help.
Try not to let it get you down buddy.
Hoping things get better.

Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 am

Thanks for commiserating with me. Not to sound too dramatic, but PT is behind me now. Did it for years to keep moving. The docs all say none of my joints and moving parts can withstand the forces of it anymore. I'm with Ken, wait it out and hope for recovery. Meaning find some other way to stay active, keep moving, and maintain the mass I still have.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:49 am

Hopefully a bit more time will make a difference Rusty. Have you looked into a Tens-Unit? They're quite affordable and portable now. You may be able to use it while you fly.

http://www.tensunits.com/

http://www.tensunits.com/work.html
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 am

"Spinal chord", a wonderful aviation nuts play on word Rusty. We all need one of those. Smile

At least you have a backbone. I lost mine laying on the ground after pinging my PT-19 into the ground. I haven't done a circle since.

Here's my best wishes that you may continue in a sport that you love so much.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 am

Man I hate this for you friend , i know how it is when life takes the fun away ... But there are other things to do to keep some action in your life like you said need to keep moving !! maybe a prop rod , or some lawn chair fling RC , my neck has the degeneration thing for years and it SUCKS !! Hope things work out for the better . Looking for Rocking Rusty Smoking
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:39 am

Rusty I am with ken and others on this.. your beat up body needs time and a few hints from my post motorcycle accident PT guru:

Stay as mobile daily as possible
Change diet to add natural sources of additional nutrients and vitamins focusing on calcium and the B series She said Ensur/Boost and others are Ok but large doses daily do not uptake as well as spread out in three meal sources do
Get into a routine that is almost very OCD with doing slow deliberate range of motion ( unweighted ) articulation of neck, shoulders, upper and lower back (my main damage was upper back, neck, shoulders). Slow deliberate...no ballistic fast throwing of the head, arms. Only rotate neck about to the point of any resistance or pain but each few days try to get more range.

The long range goal was to get body re adapted to daily full use of all articulating joints and NOT focused on muscle strength gain (which robs all the nutrients away from the bone and connective tissue damage)

Note: opposite of you, I can lift heap up and to the rear, but putting my chin to my chest is where the thunder bolt happens

I am approaching third year since accident and about 85% back to full range (with some pain) The first initial weeks with the PT gal were brutal and she decided to listen to me and let me take the slower road

Not sure if you mentioned it elsewhere but same advice for you as we all gave Tim Westcott... get a ortho or neurologist Doc or better yet both to check you out
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:24 am

Rusty, man so sorry to hear of your situation. I'll second the suggestion(s). from Fred to continue "PT" on a slow but continued effort.  Ya gotta remember we are getting older, and do take longer to heal than when we were younger!! Do Not Stop moving, the old saying of "if you don't use it, you lose it" is true.  I'll give you the same advice I get from my Dr.   Eat healthy, exercise more.  Enjoy your life.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 am

Yep, Marley, that's how I've survived almost 31 years of dialysis, keep on keepin' on. They gave me 5 and I took 30. Still takin'!
I'll get back to the other answers later this evening, as they require some rumination.
Rockin Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Regarding the TENS unit, an electrical stimulation system to keep the pain at bay, with an additional benefit of helping maintain muscle tone. Looks good for many patients. But, to be clear, I've been a full blown pain management patient for a long time and have it managed well, aside from acute problems that are dealt with as they come. And it's not pain that interferes with my activities, it's my main data trunk getting choked off right outside of the CPU mounted on top of my shoulders. Yes, it comes(twice so far) with pain that is extreme for an instant and then lingers and aggravates me, but it's my loss of signal to all of my motors and servos that shuts down my ability to fly overhead. Besides, pain is how you can tell you're still alive.

fredvon4 wrote:Stay as mobile daily as possible
Yes, my MO as well.

fredvon4 wrote:Change diet to add natural sources of additional nutrients and vitamins focusing on calcium and the B series  She said Ensur/Boost and others are Ok but large doses daily do not uptake as well as spread out in three meal sources do
With no kidneys, nutrition is unique to me and in no way resembles the nutritionary intake of someone who does have kidneys. Much of what you suggest would stop my heart within a few days. If that didn't happen, I would accumulate calcium deposits in places where calcium is not supposed to be(eyes, brain, muscles, vascular system, fingertips, everywhere). My phosphorus/calcium product(Ca x P product) as well as potassium, an extremely dangerous electrolyte, and many others are monitored closely and reviewed with me every month so I can make appropriate adjustments.

fredvon4 wrote:Get into a routine that is almost very OCD with doing slow deliberate range of motion (unweighted) articulation of neck, shoulders, upper and lower back (my main damage was upper back, neck, shoulders). Slow deliberate...no ballistic fast throwing of the head, arms. Only rotate neck about to the point of any resistance or pain but each few days try to get more range.
Good ideas.

fredvon4 wrote:Note: opposite of you, I can lift heap up and to the rear, but putting my chin to my chest is where the thunder bolt happens
So you can't look and make sure your dick isn't shrinking Lol.

fredvon4 wrote:Not sure if you mentioned it elsewhere but same advice for you as we all gave Tim Westcott... get a ortho or neurologist Doc or better yet both to check you out
Yes, I have a massive team of all types of doctors that I manage. What a challenge.

Don't get me wrong, thanks for the concern and advice, I know it's truly genuine, but I have a unique set of life-sustaining needs that are very different for someone who has a working set of all of their vital organs.
Rusty

P.S. Now, let's go play. I'm tired of talking like a geezer.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:30 am

Dang Rusty you are so casual when you mention the 3 times a week dialysis, that I totally forgot about that issue when I was writing the nutrition side of my suggestions

Bottom line here at CEF is we ALL live vicariously through the eyes of EACH other. The take away here is WE ALL would like to see you heal and get back to telling us your flight and other life adventures

If that does turn out to be you, just hanging with the guys, and judging contests ...the way you write and your enthusiasm will still be fun for all of us

Hell if OH 8s are forever out of the question you still can change up some and get jazzed with Speed or racing...

Be well my brother
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 am

fredvon4 wrote:

Bottom line here at CEF is we ALL live vicariously through the eyes of EACH other. The take away here is WE ALL would like to see you heal and get back to telling us your flight and other life adventures

If that does turn out to be you, just hanging with the guys, and judging contests ...the way you write and your enthusiasm will still be fun for all of us

-----What Fred Said-----
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down