Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Cox_ba12

Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by batjac Today at 3:06 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Empty
Live on Patrol

Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14

Go down

Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Empty Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:57 am

We had a good day flying our newest stunt ships on Sunday. I just like saying Ship for my toy planes. How many people outside the hobby would laugh. Maybe if they built and flight trimmed one, they wouldn't. It was way too hot for a while so we sat around and watched the RC prez, Jim Malek and Happy Gilmore cut the grass and edge the staging pads. They sure are nice to us control line flying Wildcat Rangers, the only members keeping the Jackson Flyers alive. Slightly worried some General is going to re-purpose the field. But I had some time to tinker with my control throws too. I'm going to replace the flap horn and replace that clevis during my hangar time this week. And apply the lettering and numbers on the wings that Avaiojet Charles from Stunthangar made for me. Silver, it looks nice. I drew it and he turned it into vinyl.

I thought I had an intermittent leak in the fuel tank, as the first flights were too lean, and two clicks richer made it too rich and run out of fuel early. One click leaner and the same thing. Wayne saw fuel bubbling out of one place on top where the solder appears to be lacking. It does run the tank dry, but the feed seems erratic. You'll see that in the movie. I botched the V8 and did another one, and ran out of gas in the clover. It's nice to have a plane that is still solid on the lines when it's running too slow, which is only evident in my wobbly wingover, but regardless of the speed, my shapes suck compared to the most recent Cardinal video, which was the best pattern I've ever filmed. Part of my problem is the Twister still has too much flap throw, plus I'm just not used to it yet. My landings continue to be comparatively magnificent. 15 flights and not a bouncy hard one yet. I expect tp be handling this one better than the Cardinal soon. When I got home I confirmed the leak. It won't hold air for a second. Looks like an easy fix.

Time snuck up on me, so I'll post this beginning part now, and get back and finish later. I have some video and humor to add, but I'm on the fly right now, wall to wall doc's appointments today, all routine checks, I'm good! As good as I'm gonna get, anyway Lol.
Rusty

Here's a rerun picture as a place holder. How do y'all like my new Hippy hairdo? It's getting pretty long even since this 2
week old pic.:
Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Twiste11

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Empty Re: Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Man, you have come a long way Rusty in a short period of time. When I first checked in here you were flying 1/2A in a small field next to a church. Always enjoy your stuff.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Empty Re: Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14

Post  akjgardner Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:25 pm

Lookin Good Rusty. Nice Job on the Twister
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:42 pm

Bob I tried to reply on my phone and got frustrated and stuffed it back in my pocket. So I'm home now and replies and storytelling will commence... as they say in Jamaica, Soon come mon, soon come.

Please don't judge the maneuvers, me and Tazz ain't quite on the rails yet.
https://youtu.be/b4X8b8ewLEE

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:47 pm

RknRusty wrote:
How do y'all like my new Hippy hairdo?
Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Hippy_10
Let your freak flag fly!
Great work, Rusty.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:11 pm

You said not to judge so.... I won't. J/K it all looked pretty good. Your square eights looked really good. You probably could have done the clover if you didn't re-do your vertical eights.

The engine run was superb. Wandering is more than likely the pilot, unless you are saying the size of the loops are different from inside to out.

Maybe your hair was in your eyes? Laughing
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:22 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Man, you have come a long way Rusty in a short period of time.  When I first checked in here you were flying 1/2A in a small field next to a church.  Always enjoy your stuff.
Bob
Bob, it's all been a fantastic surprise to me, as much as I swore that I never would move up to bigger planes, and then came the Shoestring incident, joined JFA, met Wayne, one thing led to another, and now I have more new real friends spread all over the country than I ever imagined, and a sport that I'm happily obsessed with. I do want to go across the street and fly some babies too, and probably will this Fall. I had so much fun entertaining myself and y'all too. The Micro Ring will certainly fly over there. So stay tuned.

dckrsn wrote:
RknRusty wrote:
How do y'all like my new Hippy hairdo?
Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Hippy_10
Let your freak flag fly!
Great work, Rusty.
Bob
Oh good grief, I look like the Tasmanian Devil lol!  Smoking

Haha, yeah Ron not only hair but I had sweat in my eyes too. It's an inch or so longer now. Usually not quite as Tazmangled as in that wonderful blow-up Bob did. I Love This Forum!

Thanks, Gardner, a lot of hard work, for me, built into that plane. Looks like it's going to be worth it. I put a pic of my new silver wing lettering in my Trimming thread. That topic is finished, so now any more minor trimming notes will be in my flight reports.

Here's another movie. I have some more too, sorry for the choppy installments, but it's been a busy day.
This should have been the opening scene for this report, but since it's already scrambled, here it is:
https://youtu.be/y4dmSPBPjdI

I may as well cross post my lettering pics here too:
RknRusty wrote:...Next time she hits the field, it'll also have its new lettering, numbers, and checkerboard.
Here's its name. I drew it in pencil and then Charles "Avaiojet" of CFC Graphics on Stunthangar reproduced my drawing with laser cut vinyl, and I applied it last night. I asked for silver color, and he gave me black and red in addition, as well as my AMA numbers. I had trouble drawing the capital "T" so he made one from a computer font
Now tell me, what does it say its name is?
Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Vinyl10
I think it looks great in the sunlight. Really bright and silver.
Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Vinyl210

I might have to alter it depending on y'all's answers to that question. Here is my original drawing:
Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 08161610

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:12 am

RknRusty wrote:

Clearly "Tazz"... but with that hairdo.. it could be mistaken for "Jazz"... Laughing Are you a closet musician Rusty? Maybe it's a mid-life crisis thing? Laughing Laughing

Sorry.. I couldn't resist.. The Twister looks awesome! The whole theme is very cool! Wish I knew that you were going with a vinyl graphic.. I could have sent you some super high-reflective stuff that I got some scraps of, when I worked at the sign company. It's specially made for municipal applications.. and quite expensive. It probably wouldn't stand out as much on a white background though. It's more of a white/silver.. but I'd be glad to send you some for another model to try.

Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Reflec10

It really glows when you hit it with a flashlight in the dark! It might look really cool in the late afternoon when the sun is low in the sky.

Sweat in my eyes, Fort flying Sunday 8-14 Reflec11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:22 am

Rusty I like your lettering better than the one your friend from SH printed , the T looks a lot like a J my Two Cents The Hair fits the bill lol . Are your throws tight it seems you may need some of that Play we spoke of ? I do understand getting use to a new model though but looks like some over control to the input till it gets back on track (if that make any since) other than that seems to be fitting the bill for a great competition model ! Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:58 am

roddie wrote:
RknRusty wrote:

Clearly "Tazz"... but with that hairdo.. it could be mistaken for "Jazz"... Laughing Are you a closet musician Rusty? Maybe it's a mid-life crisis thing? Laughing Laughing

...I could have sent you some super high-reflective stuff that I got some scraps of, when I worked at the sign company. It's specially made for municipal applications.. and quite expensive. It probably wouldn't stand out as much on a white background though. It's more of a white/silver.. but I'd be glad to send you some for another model to try...

Okay, tick 1 for reading it as "Tazz," 1 for "Jazz."

Thanks Roddie, I'm glad you like my scheme. Yeah, that road sign stuff is super reflective. Metallic I guess. I like the silver on white because I wanted it to be sort of sublime.

Not a closet musician, just a music appreciator, and a pretty good drummer. Or I was, but now I can't drum anymore with my fingers curled up. I can't even pat someone on the back without making them feel like an eagle is attacking them. But I grew up in the day of the hippy. I used to have long hair. Then I didn't. Now I do again.
Unfortunately, I have no pictures of myself with long hair. Other than the silver bush I'm sporting above.

Last edited by RknRusty on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:02 am

getback wrote:Rusty I like your lettering better than the one your friend from SH printed , the T looks a lot like a J my Two Cents The Hair fits the bill lol . Are your throws tight it seems you may need some of that Play we spoke of ? I do understand getting use to a new model though but looks like some over control to the input till it gets back on track (if that make any since) other than that seems to be fitting the bill for a great competition model ! Thumbs Up

No, my throws are not tight.
Too much flap exacerbates my tendency to over control.

Thanks for your vote, Eric. Now J and T are tied 1-1.... it does look like a J. I'm going after it with a hair dryer and a fresh blade tonight. I can make it look like I want.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:41 pm

I also noticed the plane climbing slightly when the power cuts. I knew the CG was 7/8" aft of the plan's CG, so I'm going to put a heavy acorn nut on the prop. I tested it tonight, and it doesn't shift it all the way forward, but should help me make steadier corners. I'll do that after the first flight next time since I'm also reducing the flap throw here in the shop, to a more conservative movement. Right now they move about 30-35*, as does the elevator.

My lines are probably too long too. 61' eye to eye. I'm going to make a set of 60' and, for the wind, a set of 58'

I wish I could get in touch with Walter to talk with him about some things. Like that flap/elev horn arrangement, that's weird. I have another version of the plans I haven't looked at yet to see if it's different. My working set is the newer 2011 plans.

My next shop time will include degreasing and re-soldering the tank leak. It worked well the first two times out, giving me  great engine runs and 12 laps after the clover. Unlike Sunday in the videos. Some solder slag must've been plugging the leak and finally washed away. When I first tested this tank, the vents were clogged, so I need to open it up and have a look.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:58 am

Rusty, I personally feel your line length is perfect. This isn't a small sport model with a thin wing which requires a lot of speed to fly. It certainly isn't a Sig Twister with the Fox .35. Your line length provides more room for comfortable maneuvers. Anything smaller chokes that down, increases speed, it also removes the crispness of the corners due to the above.  Walter didn't design this plane. Walter does the CAD for the laser and Ted Fancher approved the design. I sent you Walter's #. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:36 am

You're probably right, Ken. My proclivity to wind them up tight may get worse on shorter lines. If I'm ever faced with a very windy day at a contest, a 60' set might be helpful, and there are plenty of opportunities to test that theory at the Fort.

The fuel tank went back together nicely and held a mean air charge underwater for a half hour before I relieved it.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down