Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Cox_ba12

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Mighty Jackson
by roddie Today at 1:21 pm

» Babe Bee / Golden Bee parts
by carolinaguy Today at 1:13 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -June 2024-
by MauricioB Today at 12:43 pm

» Kofuku Maru Fishing Boat Model
by Levent Suberk Today at 11:52 am

» coreflute help
by Ken Cook Today at 10:35 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by HalfaDave Today at 7:15 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 4:04 pm

» S.M.A.L.L. 2024
by balogh Yesterday at 12:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Fri May 31, 2024 4:24 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Fri May 31, 2024 4:10 pm

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by Cox International Fri May 31, 2024 1:08 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review

Go down

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Empty Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:55 am

OK, so its a lecky, so its a "new COX" product,thats the point here, its a simple 3ch ,relatively cheap,small plane for a novice pilot.

I wouldn`t say this is a trainer,it is rather spirited. Not like some of my real cox powered little planes,but I was actually impressed.

You get rudder,elevator and throttle,very light weight,fast assembly, and a good flight duration time.

The included flight battery charges up in a relatively short time(I didn`t time it),controller batteries are included as well.
I gave her a go today:

We took her out of the box, looked over (barely read any but looked) the basics of the instructions, assembled the wing,snapped on the prop(I like very much the snap on feature) ,set the flight battery to charging,and walked away from it.
Total time spent from touch the box to walk away, maybe 5 minutes,I was instructing 2 boys as we went through this or it be 2 minutes or less Shocked ,yes really.
nice carbon fiber rod inserts into the wing halves,slide into the fuse and she is ready to power up and fly,period,quick as a hiccup.

It was way too windy to fly at 2pm here so we went off to practice and left the flight for another day.
Near to sunset the wind had died down,we left the practice track,headed for home to grab this little plane and back to the track/flying field.
Plug her in, throttle up and give her a toss.

Disclaimer: it was either way too windy, or the plane is a stunts only plane;I`m blaming the wind for now lol!

In the mountain valley we live in there has been crazy winds for the last 2 months at least, I swear there is no telling which direction the very next wind gust will come from, absolutely litterally.
The smoke coming from my cigarette was even confused about what to do Paranoid

This little plane was more dificult to keep on a steady flight path than it was to do knife edges or loops and spirals with.

A very nice climb rate was easily noticable.

This plane was being thrown into stalls and loops under full power,totally hands off up to about 500 ft and this was just fun to watch all the way up there. It was making 100foot circles in both directions all the while too.
It was fun to watch fly while I left her freeflight for a while until it was more than high enough for me,kill power and watch her stunt her way back to 50 feet with just a litle rudder correction to keep her within an acre of us and at about 5o feet altitude I decided to bring her to us and let my son have at it.

I decided it would be easier to let him learn this model from launch instead of a mid flight controller hand off to him.

He has a blast too, making her fly like a blind,dizzy pidgeon.

She is rather floaty from what I could tell,I think with this plane and some really calm wind, big thermal weather it would be a very long flight kind of day.

He had a couple crashes once he was below 100' , although that was him overcontrolling it, his last 10 loops made that easy to see.
His very last loop was the end of our day, he ended the loop with a nose into a boulder about the size of a compact car,(no,not a prias,I said a compact car not a pop can car). The only rock in the whole field of course Affraid or WOW! I guess it was just too big for the old farmer to move.
The boulder is now named the cox eating rock Reading
Homeward bound we next were,to try out this lame 30 minute epoxy I got yesterday at the LHS(if you`d call it that No )

The nose snapped completely off at the forward portion of the canopy,and the fuse snapped in half midway between the trailing edge and the tail,control rods kept it from being 3 pieces total.
She is now epoxied up,ready for more Shocked

I would hae had acompanying video,but the little white plane blended into the sky so well there was no sign of it while recording.

I added 2 of bernies cox powered stickert to the onderside of the wings to help with orientation in the future. Airplane
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Empty Re: Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review

Post  nitroairplane Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:39 am

so Jared you got it Smile
sounds like fun.
The battery charges in 30 mins.
How do you like that transmitter.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Empty tx ? and update

Post  Jaspur_x Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:23 am

The transmiter is just fine for me, narry a hitch so far as that`s concerned.

Test flew it again today and let the boys have at it.

Flight was much better due to less winds as I had anticipated from the 1st day of flying.

I did jjust fine, even got a "land in my hand" in there before handing off the controller to the boys.

My younger son did juts fine today with it, my girlfriends son (9 yrs old) had a very short flight, 60 feet away he nosed her in under full power and after the crash I had to remind him to throttle down lol
The fuse snapped rught next to the prior snap off, 1/2 way to the tail section again. Epoxy is curing as I type.

Hopefully they get the hang of flying it before its totallly irreparable lol!
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Yeah that is good that they are learning.
Well when it becomes too heavy for lekkie maybe you need some wet power for that.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Empty lmao

Post  Jaspur_x Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 pm

I`m not expexting it to hold up to their abuse too much longer,but if it does,teedee020,throttled of course lol

I`m just hoping the on board radio gear holds up to their abuse so when this plane is dead I have a spare set to throw into an awaiting build Hand Shake esp if I can find the tech to switch an esc channel to a servo channel Beer Cheers because you know me and throttled cox`s cheers
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Empty re: Cox Sky Cruiser

Post  happydad Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Jaspur_x wrote:I`m not expexting it to hold up to their abuse too much longer,but if it does,teedee020,throttled of course lol

I`m just hoping the on board radio gear holds up to their abuse so when this plane is dead I have a spare set to throw into an awaiting build Hand Shake esp if I can find the tech to switch an esc channel to a servo channel Beer Cheers because you know me and throttled cox`s cheers

Do you have any pics of the plane? Is this similar to the Cox Sky Cruiser Viper I am converting to RC ? search for article - cox sky cruiser RC conversion. mine has a 20inch wingspan and is similar in shape to a P-51, except purple and yellow. it was originally a 1 cell electric free flight plane that i have been writing about in the article. my main problem is i have no place to fly RC now as i am retired and can't afford to pay for club dues and AMA dues just to use their flying field on weekends.
this is the same plane as i have except for color.
Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Thumb-10

happydad Small Cox Logo

RC Plane Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cox sky cruiser:nutshell review Empty sky cruiser

Post  Jaspur_x Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:45 am

this is the model we fly :http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cox-Hobbies-Sky-Cruiser-EP-Glider-RTF-COXA6503-NIB-/390520663225?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item5aecd86cb9
its a rather sporty trainer and I rather recomend it.

However, the pplane you have looks like more fun.

Honestly if I were in your situation, I would just find a place to fly. Find a local farmer if possible ad ask if you ca fly there and explain your situation.
I have actually done this to find multiple flying fields for our local club. Most farmers and their families like to watch us fly and welcome us in.
There are lots of places to fly especially with electrc powered models,sometimes you just have to open your mind to possibilities and think about it;there may be a site suitable very close to you that you never noticed for some reason or other.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down