Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Cox_ba12

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 6:28 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Today at 5:59 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:26 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by robot797 Today at 12:12 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build

Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build

Post  happydad Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:48 pm

I have been waiting for parts for the Cox Gravity Warbirds F4-U Corsair build so i will start the conversion of the Cox Sky Cruiser Viper freeflight plane to 2/3 channel RC.
my original idea was to try to fit the RC equipment i already had into the small foam plane and live with the consequences. i soon realized the consequences were a non-flying piece of overweight junk.
you may have seen other modifications of similar planes from the cox sky cruisers series as they made several models. my favorite was the P-40 or the P-51. the Viper looks like a P-51, except with a purple fuselage and a yellow wing and elevator assembly. this modification will follow the format of the Cox Gravity Warbirds F4-U Corsair i started last week.

as with the F4-U Corsair it is easier to start with the easiest parts first.
first the Viper elevator stabilizer before modification.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky10

next the elevator stab with control horn marked in proper location. abrade area around horn top and bottom.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky11

next install control horn and glue.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky12

cutoff extra control horn on opposite side and carefully heat rod with soldering iron tip.

set asside for now

Viper rudder assembly before modification.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky13

Viper rudder assembly with control horn hole marked and abraded.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky18

Viper rudder assembly with control horn glued in.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky15

cutoff extra control horn on backside and carefully heat with soldering iron tip.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky16

that's all for now. untill the other parts come in.

edited 9-12-12 10:26p.m. PST

I have a few minutes to update the Cox sky cruiser Viper conversion so i thought i would finish the elevator assembly first.

When last seen the elevator assembly looked something like this:
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky19

Place the elevator assembly on the fuselage, view from the bottom and draw a pair of lines allowing clearance of the moveable part of the elevator to avoid touching the fuselage.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky21

Cut the moveable part of the elevator along these lines. The elevator assembly should look like this with each part of the moveable elevator loose and moveable on its own. We will fix this later.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky22

Place elevator assembly on the fuselage again and view from the bottom. This time note the interference between the moveable elevator and the rudder and rudder control horn. mark the moveable elevator for clearance and carefully cutoff the foam piece as noted. The elevator assembly should now look like this:

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky24

Make sure that the moveable elevator part of the elevator assembly clears the rudder and rudder control horn on both sides of the rudder. More next time. and we'll also figure out how to make both moveable elevator surfaces move at the same time.

happydad Small Cox Logo

Futaba Radio RC Plane

Last edited by happydad on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added another section)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty re: Cox sky cruiser Viper RC modification

Post  happydad Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Sorry for the long delay between posts. volunteer work can take up a lot of time.
when last seen the Viper elevator assembly looked like this:
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky25

we still need to connect the 2 pieces of the elevator so they move together.
   Mark 2 holes on elevator parts to add a “U” wire for the elevator pieces to work together.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Vipere10

Press a small pin into the elevator pieces approximately 1/2inch for the “U” wire.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Vipere11

Form a “U” wire to fit between the two holes.  Make a small notch in the elevator edge for the round wire to fit into. Abrade ends of piano wire so CA glue will adhere better. Add “U” wire to elevator, put wire into pin holes in 2 places for U wire. CA glue in place making sure both elevator surfaces are flat and even with each other. Add CA glue into holes and into slot so the wire does not stick out and interfere with the elevator movement.
** Be sure the "U" wire is inserted parallel to the moving elevator surface and does not penetrate the elevator surfaces **

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky26

Place elevator assembly again on fuselage, add rudder temporarily and  temporarily and mark on fuselage where the control wires will enter the fuse for both rudder and elevator. Cut thin long cutouts for the control wire tubes to lay into the fuselage without bending too much. Cut control wires about 1/2inch longer than needed to reach the position of the appropriate servo, previously mounted in fuselage.

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky27

Let's look at the wing and the wing re-inforcements next. this is one wing half with the plastic wing re-inforcement removed.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky28

Place small graphite rod on one half of the wing and put a drop of foam safe CA on it to hold in place. I used .040 rod. Press the rod firmly down into the slot from the old wing stiffener and place one or 2 dots of foam safe glue on top and around the sides of the rod to hold it in place. Make a dam at the center of the wing half with paper tape to keep epoxy from running over the end, mix a medium size batch of epoxy thoroughly and add to the space between the graphite rod and the wing slot. Use just enough epoxy to come even with the bottom side of the wing, (NOTE: wing is now upside down). Let the epoxy harden. The wing should now look like this.

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky30

that's all i have time for right now. we still need to mount the elevator and rudder assemblies onto the fuselage and figure out exactly where tthe servos need to sit to have the correct CG for this small plane. hd  Small Cox Logo

Futaba Radio   RC Plane

Last edited by happydad on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to clarify how to add the)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty Re: Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:41 am

Coming along HD, what size servo's?

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty Re: Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build

Post  happydad Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:24 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Coming along HD, what size servo's?

thanks for the feedback Ron. the servos are 3.7gram. plenty of torque for this small plane. about $3.00 in 4x quantity from China. i had to wait 3 1/2 weeks this time. normally only 10 days. hd Small Cox Logo

RC Plane Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:29 pm

I may have missed it, but is this glow or electric?
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty re: Viper conversion

Post  happydad Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:39 pm

microflitedude wrote:I may have missed it, but is this glow or electric?

the Cox Sky Cruiser Viper was originally an electric free-flight and i am converting it to a 3 channel RC electric plane. elevator, rudder and speed control. the Cox Warbird F4-U Corsair i'm not sure what it was originally, but i am converting it also to 3 channel RC electric. both planes come with a small electric motor capable of flying the plane and doing many stunts. some guys on other forums have converted these planes using brushless motors and the planes are much faster and capable of more 3D stunts.
here's a pic of tenative layout of the charge connector, receiver/ESC, servos and motor in the fuselage.
Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Coxsky31

happydad Small Cox Logo

Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty Re: cox Electric Viper RC conversion

Post  happydad Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:59 pm

Well, it has taken me 8 years, 2 hip replacements and lots of other stuff happening, but I finally did the maiden flight of the RC version of the Cox Electric Flyer Viper free flight version.

It was fun, typical as a maiden flight fraught with mishaps. Trims were way, way off, elevator and rudder throws too sensitive, but the majority of the plane survived.

Since it was a maiden glider I chose to NOT completely glue the plane together, thinking that something major would go wrong internally and I would have to cut the fuselage in half to replace or repair something. WRONG. The electronics, battery, radio and servos worked perfectly. The eleva5or and rudder didn’t work right because the fuselage wasn’t glued together completely and the rudder and elevator weren’t glued to the fuselage and flopped around under flight. My bad.

Over all, good maiden flight.

Pictures to follow soon.

Happier happydad RC Plane          Old Bugger United States
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:09 pm

Cool did convert couple foam glider m'y self is Not so easy result can be surprising
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty I bought a series

Post  happydad Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:16 am

davidll1984 wrote:Cool did convert couple foam glider m'y self is Not so easy result can be surprising

davidll1984:  I bought several. The Corsair (3), and the Spitfire MK XIV. And I wanted to get the Zero, but $99 was way too expensive when I paid a lot less 8 years ago. These have a 19 to 21 inch wingspan depending on the model. And a 5 ounce total weight goal, including battery.

BTW I purchased an exhaust recovery system, EGR valve, (?),  like you are using. Some guy on eBay was selling them and offered it at a price much less than I expected.

Happydad RC Plane      Old Bugger United States
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:20 am

The egr valve from gtp is very presise part once tuned correct on plane is litle heavy tink but wil provide Good low rpm To use wit cylinder wit no spi tink its the best way of rc cox engine without négatif effet of carburateur y have found carb on flyweel is bad suction in crankcase it make crankchaft To get suck in crankcase casing Front end wil get in contacts wit drive plate after couple time engine on low rpm for long time make back crankchaft in crankcase To back plate gap wil reduce making the conecting rod toutch inside crankcase track y have picturs of wat hapen wit Reed engine wit carb mod y do use trust wacher now To help wit that trouble tee dee last longer befor change drive plate and trust washer wit egr valve is no bad effect just litle bit heavy for smal plane tink wit ez bee size its ok y hope cox did consider the need of that setup for ther engine last longer if cox or ex modèle engines did Not considérer like a valuable part y wil build m'y own desing of egr valve now smaler light and précise just saying befor y dit it dont want for losing m'y time wit is valuable part very hard To Find in large amount if can Find 100 of the ....wil but right now for cars gen .2. ... 1\12 ... Just m'y efort To Front new stuf for modeler like me ask cox for the rebrand of that part Very Happy
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty I do have a Cox GTP Stocker ...

Post  happydad Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:39 pm

davidll1984 wrote:The egr valve from gtp is very presise part once tuned correct on plane is litle heavy tink but wil provide Good low rpm To use wit cylinder wit no spi tink its the best way of rc cox engine without négatif effet of carburateur y have found carb on flyweel is bad suction in crankcase it make crankchaft To get suck in crankcase casing Front end wil get in contacts wit drive plate after couple time engine on  low rpm for long time make back crankchaft in crankcase To back plate gap wil reduce making the conecting rod toutch inside crankcase track y have picturs of wat hapen wit Reed engine wit carb mod y do use trust wacher now To help wit that trouble tee dee last longer befor change drive plate and trust washer wit egr valve is no bad effect just litle bit heavy for smal plane tink wit ez bee size its ok y hope cox did consider the need of that setup for ther engine last longer if cox or ex modèle engines did Not considérer like a valuable part y wil build m'y own  desing of egr valve now smaler light and précise just saying befor y dit it dont want for losing m'y time wit is valuable part very hard To Find in large amount if can Find 100 of the ....wil but right now for cars gen .2. ... 1\12 ... Just m'y efort To Front new stuf for modeler like me ask cox for the rebrand of that part Very Happy

davidll1984:  I do have most of the pieces for a Cox GTP Stocker car. I just haven’t figured out exactly how I want to mount my pull-start engine. Everything else is done. Radio, fuel tank, a little large for my choice, wheels, etc. I just can’t decide how to mount the engine exactly. I am close, very close. But too many other projects right now. Cleaning out my garage is most important to make room for a micro lathe for making my own parts for Cox engines and carburetors.

Thanks for your advice.

Happydad. RC Plane Biplane Jeep                             Old Bugger United States    Hand Shake   Canada
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:16 pm

is it just me y tink we go in same direction wat sort of late y want like 27" or Somting biger  how micro smal ??? Y want King Canada machine dealer is literaly next dor Very Happy is wort 2900$ Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Screen14
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty Gorilla 4 to 6 inch

Post  happydad Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:33 pm

davidll1984 wrote:is it just me y tink we go in same direction wat sort of late y want like 27" or Somting biger  how micro smal ??? Y want King Canada machine dealer is literaly next dor Very Happy is wort 2900$ Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Screen14

davidll1984:  I am looking at a gorilla 4 to 6 inch micro lathe to make parts for small cox engines.

Maybe Hercules, I’m old. Short term memory loss. lol!

Happydad   RC PlaneBiplane Jeep                            Old Bugger    United States Hand Shake   Canada
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Happydad if nead inspiration folow m'y new build project is using al new part avalible now wit jerobee 350_4pul start is posible now wit the new frame setup just change drive chaft position or just use électrique start as the pul start work clock wise m'y self want the pul start but want the cylinder in vertical positions not simple stuf tink tee dee is simple design wil also convert oem gtp frame To tee dee wit m'y new engine mount its possible now
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty My problem exactly...

Post  happydad Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:55 am

davidll1984 wrote:Happydad if nead inspiration folow m'y new build project is using al new part avalible now wit jerobee 350_4pul start is posible now wit the new frame setup just change drive chaft  position or just use électrique start as the pul start work clock wise m'y self want the pul start but want the cylinder in vertical positions not simple stuf tink tee dee is simple design wil also convert oem gtp frame To tee dee wit m'y new engine mount its possible now

davidll1984:  With a killer bee type engine rotating cylinder-piston is easy. Having the pull-start come out on the back side and the cylinder-piston vertical was a challenge. I had to use the dremel too on the engine mount-pull start. I still need to make the spacer behind the KB fuel input and make sure the engine is rock solidly mounted. I don’t want to end up with the pull-start engine in one hand and the rest of the car in the other hand.

Happydad RC PlaneBiplane Jeep                             Old BuggerUnited States Hand Shake Canada
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am

For try To place the cylinder in up positions m'y atempt was for engine wit strap starter want the exaust To fit wit the egr now want To reverse direction of pul start Huh...
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 am

How the sky cruisers progres?? Wit the egr setup sur u wil get Good result
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Sky Cruisers Viper RC conversion build Empty Sky Cruisers are Electric ONLY.

Post  happydad Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:36 pm

davidll1984 wrote:How the sky cruisers progres??  Wit the egr setup sur u wil get Good result

davidll1984:  sky cruisers going well. After maiden flight of the Viper/P-51 I like the performance of the small electric motor, 2S LiPo battery and 5ounce total weight.

I have 1 of the Corsair planes almost finished. I just have to connect the small ESC to the motor. I also have the Spitfire MK XIV almost finished. I also have 2 - extra Corsairs and an extra fuselage and wing somewhere.

The EGR should be here this week. I will see if I can fit it into my Cox Kyosho Stocker Car. Not the airplane. The airplane only has a 21inch wingspan and total goal weight of under 5ounces. The car , ?? I have no idea what it weighs. I wish the fuel tank was smaller to make room for other thing. Radio installed, steering, everything except the engine. Some day.

Off to cleaning garage.  Some progress on the fuselage for .020 All Star BiPlane.

Happydad RC Plane Biplane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down