Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Corehouse Lil Hacker II CG Cox_ba12

Corehouse Lil Hacker II CG Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Corehouse Lil Hacker II CG Empty
Live on Patrol

Corehouse Lil Hacker II CG

Go down

Help! Corehouse Lil Hacker II CG

Post  daddyo Sat May 20, 2017 1:05 am

Hey guys, wondered if you could suggest an intermediate combat flyer CG point on this, not being on the plans. I'm setting it up for electric so we can do some urban lunch-time combat behind work.

Thanks!
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Corehouse Lil Hacker II CG

Post  Ken Cook Sat May 20, 2017 5:54 am

Without talking to Phil himself, I don't know the differences between the Lil Hacker and the Hacker II. Is this a double kit? That maybe what the II represents. As far as the Hacker platform which is the ply parts in the kit, that makes the plane quite heavy. Seeing that I have no interest in electrics, I can't comment on the performance or the weight. I'm going with the simple fact that it's going to be a bit heavier than the nitro variants. Even with a Norvel on the nose a stock built Hacker can require 3/4- 1 oz. of nose weight. All of this is relative to your flying skills. A lot of weight can be removed from the Hacker without having to add weight which is exactly what you don't want to do. I had Phil cut me a new set of Hacker wrings recently with a wider wingspan. The Hacker's wings are quite narrow therefore keeping the weight down is critical because you have little wing area. I was able to core holes in the high point of the wing which I believe I had 3 holes on one side and 2 on the inboard using a heated Contadina tomatoe paste can. If memory serves me correctly I was able to reduce the weight by 9 grams coring the holes.

Where is the plane currently balancing? Where's your battery pack in relation to the wing and how is it being secured? For myself, I fly tail heavy and sometimes excessively tail heavy. I then narrow the line spacing on my handle to 1 3/4" and limit the elevator movement to less than 20 deg. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who's never flown one before. If the plane's nose is dropping when your fingertips are on the spars, the plane is nose heavy and I would fly it. I would then add tail weight from there if required. I found the Hacker to be quite tail heavy to start with with the nitro engines I elected to use  I use such as the Norvel .061's, AME.049's. To resolve this, I routed out lightening holes in the lite play fuse from the bellcrank to the tail. I then ditched his heavy hardware and stitched the elevator on using thread. I also trimmed the elevator a bit and rounded the tips of the elevator  fully to even reduce more weight. I wouldn't recommend rounding the wing tips of Hacker as Phil shows on the picture ( At least not initially) you need all the wing area there's to offer. The spars he provides don't fill the spar grooves all the way out to the wing tips which in my opinion is just a break waiting to occur and I replace with full length spars. The spars he uses are far too wide and not necessary so opt for lighter pieces. The ply shear web internally is also just adding more weight and is also not necessary. If this is your first attempt in doing so, build as the instructions show. Improvements can always be made later and if your flying combat, this is more than likely not going to be the first and only one your going to build.

Your electric motor and battery setup might just be the ticket though not requiring any change and possibly the direct opposite. Phil's instructions are certainly lacking and keep in mind that the plane was designed for the beginner in mind using a Black Widow for power. I highly recommend glassing your nose around the perimeter of the fuse box on the firewall. I have seen this depart more than once. Lightweight glass and epoxy is good insurance that this is going to stay put. Remove any charring prior to epoxy . Stunthangar offers some threads in regards to the Lil Hacker but not so much as to what your in search of. A picture of your model could certainly help clarify things. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat May 20, 2017 7:27 am

This is the back page of the included instructions. You can see the CG is marked in the profile view, but there is no dimensions given. It is some nebulous location about halfway between the LE and spar at the fuselage.

I hope this helps some

Corehouse Lil Hacker II CG Rps20110
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  daddyo Sat May 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for all the info.  I completely missed the CG reference, woops, thanks for pointing that out.  Sounds like I'll be putting the battery up front of the spar somewhere.

I haven't laid out the electronics yet, I've yet the wing to cover.  I was going to wait on lightening things until I've seen a few crash effects, and already finished the fuse.  This is a double kit, but believe it's been modified since the Hacker I.  It comes with glass for the front, and parts are laser cut.  Taking me a day to build this first one.  I like the way it looks without cutting the wing tips, hoping the covering material I chose will keep them strong enough (Towerkote, seems to work great on foam).

edit: my 100th post

Last edited by daddyo on Sat May 20, 2017 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 100th post)
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat May 20, 2017 4:28 pm

The layered covering in the trailing edge of the center section is the key to the lifespan of this model. Equally important is the covering up the trailing edge. This allows you to iron a warp or dial a warp into the trailing edge in the event it's required to make the plane fly correctly.Phil's SLC covering provides great strength here. Cover over with Towercote afterwards.  If your wing fits nice and tight in the fuse box structure, I wouldn't go crazy with adhesive. Just a few dots of Gorilla glue in the center is all that's required. In case of a mid air or a ground strike, the wing will just break free of the fuse keeping either or intact. My concern is how your retaining the battery in case of a ground strike. That's a bit of momentum moving forward.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down