Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Cox_ba12

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Today at 6:17 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Engines - Proposed Users

Go down

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Empty Cox Engines - Proposed Users

Post  MauricioB Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:41 am

Within the profile of each user, there is the possibility of publicizing if someone has some preferred Cox engine.
Since I am getting acquainted with what I can read on the internet about this prestigious brand of "COX" engines, I would like to learn from you the users who want to give a fair opinion by making a post.
If you agree, for me it would be interesting to know:

1) What is your favorite Cox engine?
1-a) Why?
1-b) Do you have an anecdote to share about that engine?

Thank you for your participation. Thumbs Up
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Empty Re: Cox Engines - Proposed Users

Post  Marleysky Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:35 pm

1- even though it may break the 10th commandment, my favorite is "yours" one I don't have, subject to change on irregular intervals, mostly based on the Engine of the Month.

1a- Because each one is new and different and adds a new "Oh, I wanna do that with one of my engines!!" Such as this months Friction drive dragster!  (I think I have what they call Attention Deficit disorder) or wanting to build and fly a model for a 020 like you have done!

1b- Anecdote "to many engines not enough time!"  Too many projects, not enough time.
( Yes, Kim, I've got the Fuse and upper wing for the Poolboy cut and glued, plans still on the building board) ......oo oh, there's something shiny over there......'I'll  be back.
lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:05 pm

The Cox .049 reed-valve engines are what I learned on.. and the only ones that I have flown. They were easy (for me) to operate.. easy to rebuild and interchange parts. They draw fuel quite reliably.. unless the air-intake is enlarged excessively.

I've gotten away from running fuel in the 5cc (Babe Bee) integral-tanks. The 5 and 8cc tanks can have troublesome air-leaks if not completely sealed. To help that issue, I've converted a few 5cc tank-bowls to run an external fuel-line out through a hole drilled in the tank with a protective rubber-grommet installed. A good venturi-gasket is still required.. but the sealing of the 4 assembly-screws and tank-bowl sealing-integrity become a non-issue.

Here's an example of that.. along with one of my homemade mufflers.

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Qzr-t-10

On the inside.. a compression-sleeve can help to keep the fuel-line connected to the nipple.

Cox Engines - Proposed Users 5-25-114
Cox Engines - Proposed Users 5-25-115
Cox Engines - Proposed Users 5-25-116

The last photo shows my custom "internal" pick-up. I don't always insert the little spring inside the line.. but I think it can help to break-up air-bubbles that might form due to vibration. I've always saved those little springs when changing an old OEM vinyl fuel-line.

The tank-style backplate works great with the Ace-style throttle.. and converting to an external fuel-line offers more run-time.. whether throttled or not.

The plastic (horseshoe/product-engine) backplates have always worked well for me when using an external metal wedge-tank for control-line flying.

That's why I'm partial to the reed-valve engines. I'm still experimenting with different ideas Mauricio. That's the really fun part for me!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:15 am

1.My favorits are undoubtedly the TeeDee family members for their elegance and brute power ..
TEEDEE-s are the James Bonds of model engines...but I also like stock reedies with No1 cylinders or my home bred variations of production engines with TeeDee cylinders that I call TeeDeeReedies.

2. Plenty of reasons why I love them. As an ageing child I simply love them for my nostalgia about the early  1970-s when I first saw a  COX Stuka engine, and living  behind the Iron Curtain I had never seen before such a beautiful thing but primitive Russian model engines . This COX engine was my first hands on adolescent experience with something made in the US, and kind of a revelation that the world is not so blake as we often saw it behind the curtain (you guys having grown up in the developed free world will only smile at it I know) . As an engineer - that I chose to become under a lot of inspiration by COX engines!!- I am amazed at their beautiful signature design, manufacturing  precision in an unrivalled,  unbelievable mass production, and longevity.
As a modeler I love them for so reliably powering my RC planes....

3. Lots of anecdotes..some very painful e.g. when losing 2 years ago my 40 years old horseshoe backplate production engine with a 051 stock cylinder on it while flying it in the field and an assumed lose battery connection left it uncontrollable and it disappeared in the sky with some 10 minutes worth of fuel on board, never to be found again..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:04 pm

TD
Medallion
Black widow

In that order. It's a power thing for me. Although if a TD could draw fuel like a medallion I would be much happier.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:59 am

Hi guys, given the date, first of all I wish you a happy father's day.
Thanks for leaving your comments. It is very interesting all this that you comment, because it is very useful information, even if you do not believe it, if that is added to the emotion that each one lives with these jewels of mechanics becomes a stories where many will be identified.
Cox is a brand that has reached many corners of the world even to unthinking places, it has been mostly Cox 0.049 Babe Bee, the beginning of many model aircraft and that is why, I thank you join in leaving your opinions and experiences. They are ultimately each of you a living endorsement of this engine brand and that for what little you, Mr. Leroy Cox, wanted everyone to enjoy the model airplane and its engines, so I encourage you to follow this post.
Personally I will keep an eye out for anything you can comment on. Thank you!

Just like Roddie did, if they put even better pictures !!! Small Cox Logo
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 am

Well i can only support the ones i have ran , Of course the Baby Bee first : Cox Engines - Proposed Users 020_0010
Then the Space Bug Jr. i like the colors they come in and easy start : Cox Engines - Proposed Users Almost11 Then that Sportsman .15 i ran    Don't forget the souped up Product engine .049  The Medallion Family :  The Damn TD puts a little scare in me for some reason ? But still Sweet !  Maybe is was the Plane !?! I haven't had much time with the Golden Bee or the Black widow Engines and have some i really want to run and will when the time is right Wink Big Hug my friend in another land !! Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 am

Mine would have to be the 'Packaged Deal' of my Quiet Zone PT-19 and it's muffler-equipped Babe Bee.

It was my first successful control line plane, and the Babe Bee tolerated my youthful learning curve as I accumulated knowledge about what it needed to continue to run.  The thrill of my first full flight is STILL a great memory.

My Ebay replica was purchased a few years ago, and still gets flown on dacron lines, and fueled from my Uncle Wayne's original toolbox.

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Pt-19_10

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan1310

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan210

Cox Engines - Proposed Users 75147710
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 pm

While I do have a lot of reed valve Cox engines I am mostly partial to each of my Tee-Dee and Medallion front rotor valve versions.. for a lot of the same reasons as Balogh

WHY?
Power and easy use thing...especially with balloon or pressure bladders for fuel

Posted on CEF a long time ago

A true 1961 story: How I nearly killed my little brother

Heading on assignment to Taiwan (Formosa)

We were on a troop ship (The USS Mann) supplying fresh meat to Viet Nam, I had all kinds of soldiers helping me build and dope a model airplane. I think dad had Army duty on the voyage over. Probably something like officer of the day or executive officer. Whatever it was, he was not with us very much and my mom had my baby sister to tend to leaving me to have Mike as a tag along toddler

OK OK you want the terror or the attempt to kill my brother.

On the ship there is no way to fly a circle bird as the wind across the deck was much too strong.

I read how to start the Cox baby bee .049 in the micro instruction sheet a thousand times and could not stand it any more.

Never having seen a engine stand, I used scrap balsa from my dad's bigger ringmaster kit to make, what I thought, a good platform to screw the Cox engine to. (dope on the 1/2A plane was still wet so I could not use the plane as starting platform for the engine...I assume now from the humidity of the ocean)

One piece of balsa about 4" wide x 8" long I could hold down with my knee. A up right piece 2" wide by 6" tall glued to the edge of the flat on the ground piece. I even was smart enough to add a square block behind the up right and on top of the flat to form a crude gusset for strength.

The small prop mounted and engine attached to the balsa upright with tiny wood screws; I took my brother, engine stand and engine, glow clip and battery, and a bulb full of cox fuel to the breeze way on the port side (why I remember what side is curious to me)

On the deck, out side in fresh air, I had Mike stand near the inner ship wall not the railing. I kneeled on the plank with my left knee and fueled the little tank and shot a bit in the exhaust and flipped it over to get fuel in as the instructions said.

I attached the glow clip, then took it off because I needed to set the needle. Screw it in carefully to the bottom, then out 3 1/2 turns. Back to the glow clip....ready.... and with right hand flipped the prop toward me.

Crap, it started first flip! Crap...OH crap what now!?

I remember! Tweek the needle to make it scream.... Just as I am reaching for the needle, the 4 wood screws pulled free from the balsa (firewall??) and now we have a free flight engine caroming off metal bulkheads and heading for my baby brother..... ( I swear he was not going to get hit) just then a GI came out a door, saw the danger, and kicked my. 049 Cox motor.... In slow motion I watched as it cleared the railing and disappeared over board....some where in the pacific ocean before we got to Hawaii

It was a long way to Taiwan and my butt was sore for most of the rest of it....

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm reading and imagining each of you in the different situations .. how nice to be able to share all this and to come to remember such beautiful memories!
Fred! How much fun I got to imagine that soldier kicking the engine and watching him disappear! Haha Very Happy Very Happy ... I imagine the situation ... Shocked Shocked Damn! Damn! !
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Here in my country there was a comic magazine (no longer this), related to electronics, modeling, some crafts, made in black and white, had the cover and background in colors, which were also drawn by hand.
In that Magazine, there was a sponsor, who a few years ago, closed his doors, was called AERO SUR, was a representative of Cox and made various announcements.
The magazine was aimed at the participation of children guided by adults, for example father and son or a child and a senior responsible, each model that was published there, had an almost direct relationship with the engine Cox 0.049 Babe Bee, since there were many Publications of simple models of U / Control and some other motorboat sailboat.
I leave some scanned photos of the magazine Lúpin with images of models Cox.
When I was 13 years old I ran to the kiosk to search for the magazine Lúpin and to see its comics and to imagine that I had an engine, at that time, it was not possible for me to access an engine economically, that came a few years later and my dream was fulfilled! I'll tell you more ...
Kim, notice that in one of the colored covers is the PT19, in this case the white with decorations in red!
Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan0012
Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan0013
Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan0010
Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan0011
Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan0014
Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan0017
Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan0015
Cox Engines - Proposed Users Scan0016
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:22 pm

These are GREAT stories! I don't have much to contribute about my youth.. other than being "exposed" to aero-modeling. This exposure was in the early 1960's when I was a toddler. My dad gained interest at that time through his father in-law and brother in-law.. (my Mom's father and her brother) who flew bigger control-line models powered by larger engines.. tethered by 50-60 foot lines.  

Sometime in the late 60's/early 70's.. my dad brought home a brand new Cox ARF "Sopwith Camel" biplane with .049 engine.

It looked like this one..

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Cox-so10

Apparently, it had a product-engine with the newer "horseshoe back-plate". I honestly can't remember.. but only have this parts-diagram to go by..

Cox Engines - Proposed Users Camel_10

It only flew a handful of times... and I don't remember ever flying it myself. Dad also built Carl Goldberg "Swordsman 18" and "Stuntman 23" balsa models.. and bought Cox Babe Bee and Golden Bee .049 engines for them. I don't remember them ever flying though. That would be the end of my experience.. until I got much older.. and was married with children. At the age of around 30 (1990..).. my dad bought me a Cox PT19 flight-Trainer.. and "we" flew it together in the side-yard where I lived. I was hooked.. and began building my own control-line balsa designs for the little engines. It would be the beginning of my sourcing all kinds of 1/2A control-line hardware.. more Cox Reed-valve engines... music-wire.. Aero-Gloss.. and ordering spare engine-parts/tune-up kits directly from Cox. I must say that it's been a very enjoyable hobby for me.. even though I have taken some "time-off" from it over the years. Joining the CEF has definitely  helped to keep the fire lit for me! I Love This Forum!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:53 am

MauricioB wrote:
1) What is your favorite Cox engine?
1-a) Why?
1-b) Do you have an anecdote to share about that engine?

1. 049 diesel bomber
1a. its on my micro generator
1b. check the engine for double reeds bevore running (mine had 2 and ran like crap)
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down