Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Cox_ba12

geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Empty
Live on Patrol

geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider

Go down

geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Empty geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider

Post  roddie Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Over the years, I've gathered old family photos and taken notes of "what I remember" as well as other family members, of days gone by. Modern technology has made it easier to assemble genealogical records through the use of scanning-printers.. and portable data-storage.. as opposed to boxes full of photo-albums.. that "might not" be saved after we're gone.

I can't assume that my children and/or "their" children's children will know much about me or our ancestors. Perhaps that won't be important to them.. but I feel that it's somewhat of a "charge".. to try to provide some documentation. There are web-sites such as "Ancestry.com" where we can "join", search and further-document our family history. That's one method.. and it's great; as long as our "living" relatives are aware that there's a record there.

I'm quite lucky to have elder relatives.. and have been assembling data on family history over the last few years on and off.. as far back as can be remembered/documented by them. Old photos have been scanned.. and notes have been taken for many. Places lived, schools attended, jobs/professions held, military service, hobbies/pastimes, health.. etc.

These family records (possibly thousands of photos along with text/word documents) can be stored on a single USB drive.. and given as a gift; compact enough to be kept/stored in a keepsake/jewelry box.. and transferred to more modern media as years progress.

This can be a VERY enjoyable project. Even if you have no surviving kin.. or limited records of their lives.. you can still produce an accurate account of "your" life.. and the chance to tell "your" story of it.

I'll add that this type of project is not "weather-sensitive". It can be worked-on whenever you have some spare time.. or are bored.. and looking for something different to do. It may even spur some contact with folk that you've fallen out of touch with.

Last edited by roddie on Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Empty Re: geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider

Post  fredvon4 Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Both my wife's WVA origins ,and MY family past (Pacific North West...English, Welsh, Irish, German) have been researched. and with help of Ancestry plus surviving older family, filled in a lot of our 1800~1900s history

That said, I tend to think the DNA genealogy is a bunch of hooey....and it took me quite a bit of argument with Renie to NOT pay them to do it

Mostly because she (and to a lesser degree, I) was fairly impressed with the verifiable results of her PAID Ancestry dot com subscription

I would like to hear about others experiences with the DNA side of this research

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Empty Re: geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider

Post  roddie Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for commenting Phred. There's companies standing in line to take your money for anything. Recording your own family's history "privately" is more of what I'm conveying here.

The catalyst for this thread was because of an old music-study book (now in my possession) that was my mother's Great-Grandfather's. His name was William A. Bartlett. The book is a crude hard-bound entitled "Violin Book".

Here's a few photos of the pages..

geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Dsc04610
geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Dsc04611
geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Dsc04612

The pages (over 70) have beautiful examples of how people "use to" write with quills. The music-notes are all hand-written.. and some of the pages are signed with the date.

geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider A-year10
geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider A-year11
geneology records.. a worthwhile project to consider Dsc04613

Naturally.. being a musician; this is very precious to me. This man was also a carpenter.. and built several homes; including the one where my mother currently lives in Franklin, Ma.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum