Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

We're sick here... Cox_ba12

We're sick here... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

We're sick here... Empty
Live on Patrol

We're sick here...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

We're sick here... Empty We're sick here...

Post  roddie Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Lynne and I are both SICK... I was diagnosed late last night at the hospital with the flu.. (influenza-B). Lynne drove me to the emergency room late last night at 11:30. I was seen just before midnight and we didn't get home until 5:30 this morning. Lynne got a flu-shot this year.. (I've never gotten one..) but she seemed to be in just as bad a shape. She would wait until today to be seen at the local Urgent-Care.

Last night at the hospital, they took 4 vials of my blood, swabbed my sinus, did an EKG, chest x-rays, Albuterol (nebulizer) treatments (x2) and started me on 3 prednisone tablets.. with a prescription for 4 more over the next 4 days.. and sent me home with an Albuterol "aero-chamber" inhaler. My chest x-rays showed no signs of pneumonia.. but there's still a danger of pneumonia developing out of this flu.

Today, Lynne was diagnosed with the flu. She was only given the "sinus-swabbing" as the means of diagnoses. She was given a prescription for "Tamiflu".. which may or may not shorten the duration. She's beyond the 48hr. window of effectiveness since her onset.

Statistics show that the flu-shot/immunizations for this season, have not been as effective at prevention. Influenza-A differs from Influenza-B.. although they are both considered in the immunizations.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2017-2018.htm
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

We're sick here... Empty Re: We're sick here...

Post  getback Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Man !!! i am truly sorry to hear this after a Nice Anniversary weekend and a Cox cope , do your meds get some REST V-C alot sleep Bad for Christmas But Good for the Soul Hand Shake Keep us posted . Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Sorry to hear this for the both of you. Hope you both get well soon for the holidays. Take care.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Get well soon. Stay out of the cold. Cold
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Sorry to hear about you guys, get your rest and look after yourselves. We'll be praying that everything clears up without much more trouble.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Sorry Roddie, that does suck. Keep in mind the flu shot does not prevent the flu. It merely shortens the duration and decreases severity. Myself and my whole family receive the shot every year.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:22 pm

That ain't good. With you and Lynne ill, who
takes care of who? Hope you're both well soon.
I get the shot too, and with luck, I haven't
had the flu in at least 15 years.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. Sounds like the ER ran every test available to help diagnose what ever ails you! Hope you and Lynne both recover soon. It’s gotta be tough when you’re both sick at the same time. Who’s gonna rub Vick’s on your chest and sing “ Soft Kitty” to ya??
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks everyone, We'll be fine. It's just lousy timing for something like this to happen.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am

Renie got back form WVA last Tuesday where she caught some nasty bug... finally found me and now we are both sick

screwing up the Xmas prep.... family arriving Sunday evening....grrr

we did not deliberately blow off a flu shot this year... just never managed to get it yet
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Renie got back form WVA last Tuesday where she caught some nasty bug... finally found me and now we are both sick

screwing up the Xmas prep.... family arriving Sunday evening....grrr

we did not deliberately blow off a flu shot this year... just never managed to get it yet

I'm sorry to hear that Phred. I hope it's not what Lynne and I have. This is hammering us. Getting 30min. to 2 hours of sleep at a time between coughing-fits is exhausting. Trying to stay hydrated.. and nourished. Thank the Lord for soup.. and being well-stocked with it.

I have a band-gig tomorrow night.. (last one of the year..) and it's local. I'm hoping I can pull it off.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Roddie...from what I understand this year is gonna be a BAD Flu season

I have seen a few of the tracking sites....not looking good*

Renie and I, since retirement, have enjoyed a few sick free years mostly from no children or co worker contacts

We both seem to get sick a lot when ever we spend literally days in airports and inside the aluminum tube

As you note this ONE is a pretty nasty bug... over the decades I got the occasional flu I do not remember being this miserable... so I hear what you are sayin ...I am sure a lot has to do with our age

* the not looking good comes from years and years of each of us getting the bug.. suffering and getting better.... ONLY to be reinfected a week or so later......grrrrrr
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:26 pm

roddie wrote:Getting 30min. to 2 hours of sleep at a time between coughing-fits is exhausting.

Yep, I got hit with it this past year.  Of course, our flu season is well & truly over, but I haven't had it for years.  Like so many have said, I managed to miss my shot this time as well and it hit me pretty hard, with the coughing Roddie describes as my main symptom.  Got so bad I had to shift to another room for three weeks so my wife could get some sleep.  Four months later and the cough persists, almost like I coughed so much that I did some damage and it continues to irritate.  Seems that last season's shot that most people got didn't include the latest strain and plenty of folk got it even after the shot.  You had to request (and pay extra for) the latest update.  Not nice.  I'll be getting one with the lot next season.  Also, seriously thinking about getting a "Shingles" shot.  Not sure if you folk call it the same thing.  I know a couple of folk who had it and a year on they're in extreme pain all over.  Really bad stuff, so I reckon a $60 shot will be well worth it.

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Goodness, I feel for all of y'all who are unlucky enough to get the flu or any of the other nasty bugs going around. Good luck to all and I hope you can manage some comfortable moments over the holidays.

So far I'm clean and so is Holley, though we will be exposed to more people on Monday and Tuesday. For those who are still sidestepping it, keep your hands clean and do not touch your face, nose or eyes!. See you on the other side,
Fist-Bump(no shake)
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 am

RknRusty wrote:Goodness, I feel for all of y'all who are unlucky enough to get the flu or any of the other nasty bugs going around. Good luck to all and I hope you can manage some comfortable moments over the holidays.

So far I'm clean and so is Holley, though we will be exposed to more people on Monday and Tuesday. For those who are still sidestepping it, keep your hands clean and do not touch your face, nose or eyes!. See you on the other side,
Fist-Bump(no shake)
Rusty

Yeah Rusty, you & the missus have had your fair share of sufferin' over the past while so "keep your nose clean", literally. I guess you're in a little better climate to avoid the winter blues, but still take it easy. You don't need the flu on top of all the other stuff.

Chin up!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:50 am

Quick recovery for you, friend Roddie ... if the vaccine does not work, maybe put a Cox .049 engine running and enjoy its aroma, I do not say it can heal, but it will surely provoke well-being!Very Happy
The best for you! Thumbs Up
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:44 pm

I hope you guy's get well soon.
Phil
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:37 pm

I "lucked-out" BIG TIME last night. While out late in the afternoon, picking-up a few things for Lynne... my bass-player called me to say that the gig had been cancelled. The weather wasn't very good.. and attendance would likely have been down.. so the decision was made to cancel.

This was around 4:30pm. By the time it was 7:00pm (the time I would normally load-in my gear at the club..) I was back in "relapse-mode" and had one of my worst nights with this flu yet. There's no way I would have been able to make it through that gig.

I managed to finally get some sleep early this morning. Lynne isn't much better either.. but we had enough strength to go down the street to the market and pick up a few things we needed.

So "here we'll be".. in Christmas Quarantine... for at least the next few days.. no visiting or visitors..

At least we have each other! Christmas Tree
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Bummer Roddie, Hope You feel better for Christmas
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:00 am

Hang in there Buddy!! ..                                                    
Rest and relax Santa       Lighting The Tree
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

We're sick here... Empty we're "still" sick here..

Post  roddie Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:00 am

This just plain sucks.. Mad Talk about wasted days and wasted nights. We're coming up on two weeks of this misery. Neither of us has had much of an appetite.. and neither food or drink tastes good to us.. not even the cookies I made.. Crying or Very sad

We did get out and down to the local food store on Sunday.. but it was a quick trip. I went out to Walmart on Tuesday to buy a small cool-mist humidifier. I can't say that it has provided any relief for either of us. Lynne's cough is much more persistent than mine. Hers is more "bronchial". I've managed to get 4-5 hours of sleep a few times.. but Lynne is only getting 1-2 at the most.

We've both been taking "Mucinex" 1200mg extended-release 12-hour since early last week.. as well as NSAIDS. I was prescribed prednisone.. but only for the four days following my initial diagnoses on the 21st.

This has been like a nightmare.. Neither of us can remember ever being this sick.. for this long..

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

We're sick here... Empty still sick..

Post  roddie Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:29 pm

This has been a tough ride. I can't believe that I'm still writing about this but I figure I should.. in case anyone else has been as sick.. for as long.

Lynne's flu had progressed into pneumonia.. which is odd because I'm the smoker. She was given an injection of antibiotic.. followed by prescriptions for prednisone, two other different antibiotics and an Albuterol inhaler.

I quit smoking cigarettes on Dec. 20th.. the day before I was diagnosed with the flu. I'm psyched to have quit for this long.. but I wish I felt better physically for it.

I was coughing so much during the first two weeks of this.. that I hurt my ribs. Ribs.. as in "both sides". First the left side, then the right about a week later. It's frightening when it first happens. At almost 58 years old; if I wasn't already sick with a respiratory illness.. I'd think I could be having a heart attack. Like getting kicked hard in the chest; it hurts to breathe.. and it hurts to move. I went (again) to the doctor for this.. and was prescribed Lidocaine 5mg transdermal patches. They do help.. but this has persisted longer than I would have thought.

Lynne went back to work this past Monday.. after being out since Dec. 20th. She continues to have coughing spells at work and during the night while she's trying to sleep.

This has really SUCKED.. let me tell you.. We have yet to exchange Christmas gifts with our families.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Ouch, that’s gotta suck a bunch. Holy cow, it’s been 24 days! I feel for ya, and hope you both start feeling better soon. Although you are due a very large ATtaBoy! & Congratulations on quitting smoking..keep on quitting, it does get better, yea! If you need additional incentives put the $$ you would have spent on smokes in a jar every day. Then buy yourself a new Cox Engine or model at the end of each month. cheers

Last edited by Marleysky on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spell ck)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Man, Roddie that SUCKS . Hope You Get Well Soon. And congrats on the not smoking
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks guys. I'm trying real hard to stay off the butts. The last time I quit was for two years.. but that was almost ten years ago. Since then.. the brand I smoke(d) "Newport 100's" made by Lorillard had been bought-out (2014) by the Reynolds Tobacco company.. and I heard that the Reynolds CEO immediately ordered an increase in the nicotine content of the Newport brand cigarettes. This made sense to me.. because I'd been wanting to quit again.. but it seemed MUCH more difficult in recent years.

I'm still getting urges to light-up.. but they're just "habit-urges" at this point. I've gotten past the hardest part. I just need to be careful that I don't gain as much weight as I did when I quit the last time. I was eating cheeseburgers for breakfast.. Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next