Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Cox_ba12

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 5:27 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by getback Today at 3:25 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed

Go down

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Empty Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder ???

Post  astronomer1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:08 pm

I have a Cox unnumbered cylinder with grooved piston that I bought on the “Bay” for $6.oo a couple of years ago. What is it off of? Possibly a Medallion or a Killer Bee? The piston only has one groove on it’s skirt and no number what so ever anywhere on the cylinder. Just curious!

I’m using it on a modified .051 TD with a Tarno carb. and home brewed adjustable air bleed. I have finally been able to get it to reliably idle and transition well. 7K to 19K RPM today. A very adequate RC range for a throttled TD. I have also played with one of Bernie’s latter day TD RC .05 Carbs. on this engine. That carb. also works well. 5.5/6K to 16K RPM. Top end is however significantly compromised at 16K RPM. Too much to my liking. I have “Dickybirded” this same engine and get 4.5/5K to 18K RPM. This will probably be the choice for my under construction ACE Whizard. No research was done with different heads and shim combinations. All iterations used HC heads with 1 gasket, “Omega” 25% fuel with 50 deg. air temps. at 5800’ ASL. The carbed ones have COX mufflers for back pressure as originally specified.

Sorry about getting a little off track from my original questions. I’m tending to get somewhat “verbose” with my ascending age of 65 that happened last Dec. 30th.

I know that the original TD .051’s were numbered with a 5 on the skirt of one of the exhaust ports as I have a worn out one in right in front of me. I like my replacement cylinder because it has no Free Porting/SPI which is very desirable for any type of COX throttling. It also has very good compression.

I have read somewhere in one of the 1/2A forums about TD, Medallion and the Red Killer Bee cylinder piston sets but can’t remember the details. Again the age factor intervenes. My gut tells me that this particular P/C set came off of a Killer Bee or Medallion and not a TD as the “Bay” merchant I bought it from implied.
astronomer1
astronomer1
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Empty Re: Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:55 am

The cox 05RC cylinder is unmarked (if I remember correctly) and it doesn't have any SPI. Single groove on the piston.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Empty Re: Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed

Post  PV Pilot Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:03 am

Would like to see your home brewed adjustable air bleed on that carb,,if that is possible.

Going to build a twin engine model using TD 051's and Tarno or OEM rc/bernie carbs. leaning twoards the Tarno's I have.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:16 am

The Tarno carbs are very strangely designed and really do need an adjustable airbleed...

The bore in the carb above the throttle barrel is smaller than below the barrel, hence making the mixture even richer on low settings. They have then put in a relatively large airbleed (fixed) to make the low end leaner and remedy the problem.

This doesn't make sense to me. The typical approach is to offset the bore (older MVVS for instance), or have different diameters (TT 07 GP), but in the opposite direction, too make the low end leaner. Even with, or without, such measures one do need an adjustment on the low end, there is no other way.

The Cox carb is then better in that sense as it has an adjustable low end, although a little dangerous to change while the engine is running...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Empty un-numbered cylinder

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:54 am

I bought a used teedee015 off of ebay,it too has no number on the cylinder,original or not I can`t say. Thats the engine on my modded littlest stick in my crash video lol!
I put a carb from Bernie on mine too,never tach`d it yet though,no need to concern about those details on this little airframe,26" wing just to help her be flying @ managable speeds and it still seems a tad much Rolling Eyes

My used,tarno carbed TD049 is on its way for comparison sake,but the bernies carb works,slightly modded after that crash. The fuel nipple got broken by the impact so I modded the teedee nbv to fit over the fuel nipple sleeve that was on the carb,that brass fuel nipple will be less likely to break Very Happy

But now that I have a teedee05r/c I will probably swap the 051 off that plane anyway.

Your ace wizzard is a great plane for a teedee049/051/05r/c,she will be a load of fun with that engine on there,mine hangs over my desk lol
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Mine is un-numbered as well. I'll have to look at the piston though, haven't had it apart yet.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Empty Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Adjustable Tarno Air bleed

Post  astronomer1 Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:10 pm

PV Pilot: The links will get you to 3 pictures of how I made the adjustable air bleed
on my Tarno carb. The details are as follows to a disassembled carb.:

1. Original air bleed hole enlarged to appx. twice the original size and de-burred both inside and out.

2. Carefully flatten face of carb. using #400 wet /dry sand paper on a flat glass surface.

3. Drill and tap a hole on flat face of carb. for 2 x 56 screw. Not a thru hole but appx. 3/16" deep. Requires two tap styles. One a plug tap and finished with a bottoming tap. Exact position not measured, but positioned by eye.

4. A small sliding "door" was fabricated from a scrap piece of aluminum, appx.3/32"x1/4"x3/8". One end was rounded and drilled for a tight 2x56 clearance hole. The mating face of this little widget was carefully flattened using #400 on a glass surface. This was done to insure a good seal against the carb. face.

5. A 1/4" long 2x56 Pan Head Phillips screw and a lock washer secure the widget to the carb. and allow adjustment by slicing the bleed hole very precisely. This whole setup must have a low profile to avoid being hit by the prop. Unfortunately it can not be adjusted with the engine running.

[b][u]Result: 7k to 18K at 5800' ASL. Good enough for 1/2A RC with 5x3 Rubber Duckie.
Two Cents

https://servimg.com/view/17167917/17
https://servimg.com/view/17167917/18
https://servimg.com/view/17167917/20

Last edited by astronomer1 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Add Images enhance text and format.)
astronomer1
astronomer1
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Thank you, but those links are lisited as "image doesn't exist"
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Empty RE: Un-numbered Cylinder/Tarno Air bleed Pictures

Post  astronomer1 Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 pm

astronomer1
astronomer1
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Follow these instructions and they will help you post the image in the topic.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:11 am

Those links worked,,thank you for posting those.. Nice work on that ajustable bleed.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Empty COX Un-numbered Cyl/ Adj. Tarno Air Bleed

Post  astronomer1 Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 am

I'm doing some thinking about why an adjustable Air Bleed works particularly on a Tarno carburetor. Very dangerous! Once I come up with some logical ideas, I will post them here as some food for thought if anyone is interested. I am also soliciting any thoughts anyone else may have.
astronomer1
astronomer1
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox .051 Un-numbered Cylinder/ Tarno Air Bleed Empty COX Un-numbered Cyl/ Adj. Tarno Air Bleed

Post  astronomer1 Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:31 am

A little too much time spurred me on to do a little rambling about the theory behind my modified Tarno Carb and it’s adjustable air bleed that does work.

I think that unmodified “Antique” Tarno Carbs. are probably not worth the money or tinkering time because their stock performance has a lot to be desired. They are quite heavy to boot. Other Carbs. and setups work as well as or better which I mentioned in my original post. Examples include: latter day COX TD05 RC Carbs. and throttle ringed/venturi necked “Dickybirded” TD 049/051 setups work very well. “Dickybird” TD setups work best for me due to their simplicity/reliability, light weight, and good performance. (≈5.5-6K to 19+K RPM)

For me, modifying a Tarno is another story. Tinkering presents challenges that my retired and atrophying engineering brain needs to keep its 65 YO clock wound. Take note, most of what I say concerning the reasons for my enhanced Tarno Carb.’s performance is opinion which is not thoroughly analyzed or provable. My experimentation did however result in a useable carburetor. (I’m thinking about using the previously shown modified Tarno TD.051 engine on an Air Boat rather than a 1/2A Plane because a boat won’t crash if the engine quits). I have a TD 049 that is “Dickybirded” and will work fine for the ACE Whizard I am building. (≈5.5-6K to 19K RPM)

This particular Carburetor running at 5800 ASL after being modified, has smooth transition, fairly high Idle speeds, (≈7K RPM but slow enough for bringing an RC plane down), and lower High-end, (≈18K, again, high enough to fly most 1/2A RC planes). The unmodified carb., ran at (≈ 10K idle to ≈18K high end, with ragged transition).

I don’t know whether the throat has a larger opening than an exit. I never paid attention or measured it. That would seem to be backward and not according to “Hoyl” or “Murphy”. I do think that when the barrel is closed the pressure around the fuel bar gets lower. This causes more fuel to be sucked resulting in a richer mixture that is out of the ideal combustion range (steicometric** [spell??] ratio). The volume of intake air is also reduced adding to the rich mixture like a choke on an old time car. This results in very poor performance, loading up of the engine, and eventual engine stoppage. This is contrary to what you want to have happen in an RC carburetor. A relatively constant fuel/air **ratio throughout the carb’s. range of operation and a little rich at idle is the ideal in my opinion. A slightly rich idle will facilitate a smoother transition to full throttle. Without being able to control this pressure in a stock Tarno carburetor, performance is significantly compromised. I think the pressure at the fuel nozzle gets lower as the barrel is closed due to higher acceleration of the air in the carb. throat. (Bernoulli’s principal) Try the experiment shown below and do some ancillary thinking while blowing on the spool. Think about acceleration and air pressure and why a venturi or any other airfoil works. Consider why the piece of cardboard doesn’t just blow out of the spool when you blow harder.

To counteract the much richer mixture at idle, and the lowered pressure in the carb. throat, as well as higher suction at the fuel nozzle, the air into the carburetor must be better controlled. A closed Air Bleed creates a richer mixture—Open Air Bleed causes leaner mixture. This is done by providing an air bleed opening which results in increased carb. throat pressure and a leaner mixture due to less fuel being drawn thru the fuel bar. Getting the sweet spot for any given carburetor requires adjustability. “Voila” the adjustable air bleed.

Getting the sweet spot for any given carburetor requires adjustability. “Voila” the adjustable air bleed.

https://servimg.com/view/17167917/53

Last edited by astronomer1 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:14 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Format change, add illustration)
astronomer1
astronomer1
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 am

I think you are right on the money Astronomer 1. Since most smallish air engine manufacturer's only think in the high speed realm and dont give proper attention to low speed or drop dead idle performance, one has to think outside the box.

I have several off road engines that use a 3 needle carb (high,mid,low), plus a idle air gap needle. I looked for the smallest 3+1 needle carb I could find, and the only thing I could find (at this time) was one for a 15 sized offroad engine. Basically the mid range adjustment is just repositioning the outlet jet orifice in a different spot in the airstream and it is a range of from the side of the carb bore and then out to near the middle of the whole bore,,or more centered in the body/airstream. when you adjusted the mid range needle or jet position, it also moved the high speed needle assembly in turn. very tunable and you can get the top end, transition, low speed mix, idle, pretty much perfect. But then again, it is offroad stuff.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  astronomer1 Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:25 am

PV Pilot: Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes thinking out of the box gets a different perspective on things. Compiling ones thoughts in writing tends to serve as kind of a "Fact Checking" exercise. I was in the process of adding my Bernoulli's demo diagram while you were responding.

Someone with other ideas will probably show up who will hopefully shed a different light on my VERBOSE dissertation.
astronomer1
astronomer1
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down