Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Schnuerle ported 049s Cox_ba12

Schnuerle ported 049s Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 11:23 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 11:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 9:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 5:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 12:41 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 8:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 7:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 2:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 9:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Schnuerle ported 049s Empty
Live on Patrol

Schnuerle ported 049s

Go down

Schnuerle ported 049s Empty Schnuerle ported 049s

Post  glidermartin Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:33 am

Does anyone have performance data on the Schnuerle ported version of the TD049 that was marketed by Kustom Kraftsmanship?
glidermartin
glidermartin

Back to top Go down

Schnuerle ported 049s Empty Re: Schnuerle ported 049s

Post  Marleysky Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:46 pm

glidermartin wrote:Does anyone have performance data on the Schnuerle ported version of the TD049 that was marketed by Kustom Kraftsmanship?

Hey Gliderman, Welcome to the CEF!  Scepter Flight shows a couple of tests on the TD. 049.  I guess here is where I learn something: Td is front rotary intake, vs the Bee’s reed valve.  Not sure what Schnuerle porting means

Start here:   http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Cox%20Tee%20Dee%20049.html

Then Here:
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Cox%20Tee%20Dee%20049%20%282%29.html

Last edited by Marleysky on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 2nd report)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:04 pm

He's referring to this engine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/382610803708

I have never read anything about these engines. I wonder how many were made.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Marleysky wrote:Hey Gliderman, Welcome to the CEF!
Agreed, welcomed Gliderman to the forum! Thumbs Up

Marleysky wrote:Scepter Flight shows a couple of tests on the TD. 049. I guess here is where I learn something: Td is front rotary intake, vs the Bee’s reed valve. Not sure what Schnuerle porting means.

For Schneurle porting see: revolvy.com: Schnuerle Porting

It was a way for improvement on the other porting systems, did away with the piston baffle on cross scavenged ported engines. The Tee Dee dual porting system with SPI, without piston baffle and various tweaks was IMO also efficient, why Cox was competitive for a long time since the early 1960's. Sometimes I wonder if with the inside of the cylinder chromed and a lighter aluminum piston would have improved performance further.

3rd port where the old Tee Dee exhaust port was would improve swirling of the fuel-air mixture I imagine. Cox was on its way to Schneurle ported engines with is Conquest series, but foreign competition and lack of sufficient importation tariffs to level the playing field led to the demise of nearly all US model engine production facilities. I imagine that the smaller engines would have followed suit in the Conquest series, too.
That would have been an exciting development but alas never happened. Anyway, my 2 cents. Pumpkin Computer Issues Popcorn drunken Beer Cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:41 pm

I doubt you will come up with any performance stats on the KK engine as they were a custom thing. If you can find when Dale Kirn was producing them you may be able to look at old model mags for a run down.

I can’t imagine that they were a really big improvement over the standard porting as the ports would have been smaller than stock unless intake and crank work was done along with adding the third port.  Then there is the exhaust dilemma as where there was two there is now only one. It’s a fine line between too much in and not enough out. Although I have read numerous times that 2 exhaust ports on the Cox engine was overkill, so maybe it could still flow well with 3 intake and one exhaust port. Norvel engines run that configuration I believe and perform very well.

The TD Special .15 MKII has the 3 port and one exhaust configuration and it runs about 500-1K rpm over the regular .15 Special. If my memory serves that is. I have both and remember taching them using the same prop and fuel.

I too would be interested in hearing about how they performed.

Good Luck!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:54 pm

You have a good point, Ron. What I see is the limitation of the Cox cylinder. The bypass ports are rather shallow to retain sufficient strength to the cylinder. To deepen them would require a thicker liner. The milling process was developed for high speed production at lowest cost. I think it was the law of diminishing returns. There's not much more that could be done with the existing design for further improvement except start over with a totally new one.

Then too, there were failures along the way. We'd hoped for a much improved .074 when the Queen Bee arrived. Alas it was a reedy that was heavy, required special motor mounting and with the same power as the smaller Tee Dee .049.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down