Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension Cox_ba12

Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by balogh Today at 7:04 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension

Go down

Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension Empty Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension

Post  Iceberg Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 am

Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension _015_n10
I have a new .015 that runs to say the least pretty good! It spins the 8x4 nicely at just over 14,000. All good. However I feel that the needle could have some kind of an extension? Just to keep the fingers a little further away? The exhaust coming out is hot enough you need gloves just to adjust it while running. But if a hose or other idea works maybe good like the Testors had a wire and lead metal bead at the end?

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Iceberg
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension Empty Re: Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension

Post  KariFS Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:47 am

I don't remember if the Medallion .15 needle has a hollow end, but the Tee Dee one does. My Tee Dee has an extension added by a previous owner. It is just a simple piano wire, maybe 1/16" or so, with a loop in its end, and the other end is soldered into the hollow end of the needle. I don't have a picture of it but will post one this evening.

EDIT: Found a pic that sort of shows it. The picture is a link to a bigger file.

Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension 14254490.t

If the needle is not hollow, maybe a plastic tube would work, like the one on Killer Bees and some prduct engines? Many prefer plastic, because a steel wire might pick up vibrations and start to rotate by itself.

Last edited by KariFS on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension Empty Re: Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension

Post  Iceberg Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:53 am

Hi
It is hollow like the teedee also. Maybe as you say the metal one might have a tendency to auto rotate. That .15 is one mean machine. The tube approach maybe better?
Thanks
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:21 am

A slot can be opened on needle valve for a screwdriver. I didn't try it but it can work. Dremel cutting disk is useful to make a slot.

Note: A screwdriver for this purpose can be made with a piece of piano wire.

Last edited by Levent Suberk on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding note)
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:27 am

You can always plug up the needle hole and use a remote needle. I have screwed in a nylon plug, or soldered the hole shut in some cases. Often I get motors with needles or even carbs missing.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Ice, it just occurred to me that some engines have a piece of cable as a needle valve extension. You know, something like a bike brake or clutch cable with a knob on one end and the needle in the other. It probably vibrates somewhat, but, being flexible, maybe it won’t transfer the vibration into the needle valve itself? And it is definitely crash resistant too, unlike a long rigid needle extension.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:05 pm

I like to cut my needle body down, drill and tap for a socket head screw and use a ball end hex driver to adjust the needle setting. You could do something similar and epoxy or solder a socket head screw into the hollow of a shortened needle body. This keeps your fingers away from the spinning prop and by shortening the body helps minimize the needle bounce. See my avatar for an example.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down