Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. Cox_ba12

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. Empty
Live on Patrol

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem.

Go down

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. Empty Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem.

Post  sosam117 Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:27 pm

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem.

Things for modification:
For Cox .09 Medallion, you’ll need to order an Enya needle valve assembly, Part number 06211
That needle valve assembly is for the small Enya .06 engines.

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 008_en12

For Cox .15 Medallion, you’ll need to order an Enya needle valve assembly, Part number 09220
This needle valve assembly is for the Enya .09-III engines.

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 007_en12

Modifying the Cox .09 Medallion venturi
We’ll 1st start with the easiest venturi to do.
As you take out the .06-II needle valve assembly from the package, you’ll notice that it has two spray bar holes.
We want the holes 90° to the air flow coming into the venturi. So, we don’t see the holes when we look into the venturi.

Now we have two options here.
One is to carefully file into the one end of the spray bar into an octagon like how Cox has it in the venturi for a nice fit.
But remember you’ll have to file the correct orientation on that end (shoulder) to have the holes facing horizontal in the venturi.

I have used a pin-vice to hold the spray bar as I file the flats into the shoulder.
It is easy because my pin vice is octagon shaped and I can orientate it easy to the next face to file.
I have had this pin-vice for years and it was made by X-acto.

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 009_x-11

The other simpler way is to taper that shoulder so as you tighten on the nut on the other side it will lock it in and while tightening the nut you can orientate the spray bar holes the way they should be.
If you’re doing this method don’t forget the needle valve retainer spring.

I don’t like the 2nd method that much because you’re putting undue stress on the plastic venturi?
And may crack years down the road.

After you completed that side and “if” you did the taper of the other side you should see that the small groove part on the spray bar should be in the middle? I hope it is --- if done right?

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 008a_e11

Last is now to screw in the needle valve.

Now for the Cox .15 Medallion:

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 001a_m10

1st is which side the needle valve will be on?
That is the side where we completely remove the plastic “boss”.

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 003a_b10

Next is to remove the Enya .09-III needle valve assembly from the package.

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 007a_e10

Now for the other side of the venturi, we will cut a notch in it to accept the Enya spray bar.
This too you’ll have to watch for the orientation of the spray hole.
This one should be where the hole in the spray bar is facing down the venturi.

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 006a_s10

Next is to cut into the boss to make a slot for the Enya spray bar to fit into. As shown in the photo below.

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 005a_o10

Remove the plastic all the way down like in the other side where the spray bar will fit.
**** leave the little plastic "ears" as this will lock in the spray bar from turning when the nut is tightened on the other side.***

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 006a_s11

When done you should have two little plastic ears to orientate the spray bar and also to keep it from rotating when you tighten the nut on the other side.

The last thing to do now is to insert the needle valve retainer spring, screw on the nut and tighten it up and then screw in the needle valve.

If you have remove enough of the plastic "boss" (on both sides) the spray bar hole is in the middle of the venturi?

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 002a_s10

Modified venturi alongside OEM venturi:

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. 001a_m11

The Enya .06-II and the Enya .09 spray bars are available from Bob Brooks.
Contact him directly at:

Bob Brooks
shtterman@aol.com
954-234-0863

If you purchase items from his store *bay charges him 10% so save you that 10% and contact him directly.
Bob takes Paypal and checks.

Last edited by sosam117 on Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:40 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : added info on Bob Brooks (shtterman@aol.com & misspellings)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. Empty Re: Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem.

Post  944_Jim Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:45 pm

WooHoo...Big Happy Dance. Thank you so much, Sosam!
I'm off to spend some money now.

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. Snoopy10

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. Empty How about he .49 Medallion?

Post  944_Jim Fri May 13, 2022 9:08 am

Ummm...Sosam,
What about the .049 Medallion? Any good news there?

Thanks in advance.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem. Empty Re: Modifying Medallion .09 & .15 Venturi to fit an Enya needle valve assem.

Post  sosam117 Fri May 13, 2022 5:06 pm

944_Jim wrote:Ummm...Sosam,
What about the .049 Medallion? Any good news there?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if the same thing can be done on the .049 /.51 Medallion.
Never had to do one on an Cox .049 Medallion?

You might want to try to purchase the Enya .049 needle valve assembly?
That part number is the same as the Enya.06 assembly and see if you can replicate the same thing as the .09 and .15?

The Enya part number is: 06211
You should be able to order it from Bob Brooks (shtterman)
Or straight from Ken Enya's website?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LostServoScrew Fri May 13, 2022 5:34 pm

Why would you do this though? Genuine question!
LostServoScrew
LostServoScrew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri May 13, 2022 6:51 pm

Why? Because no where can these NVAs be purchased new, nor as just a used part. I just bought a stripped .09 Medallion specifically for the NVA. I'm quite embarrassed by how much I spent for a useless case, red venturi body and NVA. The guy tossed in the piston (or I didn't see it in the ad), but it is so useless that it's next life is as a key fob.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Fri May 13, 2022 7:36 pm

The 049 and 09 Medallions use the same spraybar and needle valve -and there seems to be an ongoing demand. Is it appropriate at this point to ask our masters..ie Cox International-if they have any plans to do a run of spraybars and needles?

There area LOT of Medallions out there.....and of course apparently sufficient demand for Mecoa to be making the actual plastic venturi housings....so why not the rest of the assembly? For example-any crash bad enough to break or damage the plastic venturi is almost certain to bend the needle valve at least-and these are usually hard or impossible to straighten accurately.....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri May 13, 2022 11:16 pm

Chris,
You have no argument from me. But I would suggest the needle and or red body is what gets damaged during a lawn dart maneuver, not the spray bar. As you say, needles and bodies are still available.
My ignorance caused me to double down on twin RC engines, both .09 and .15. The price was too good, so I jumped at them very quickly. I really thought I beat the other guy.

While bench testing, my not-so-young eyes couldn't see the spray bar turning in one of the .09s. It just wouldn't adjust and run right. So I started working one of the .15s, and it behaved the same. I couldn't believe I had two duds back to back, so I stripped both down only to really see what I had. DOH! Face-Palm...not once, not twice...but all four. That's a pair of .09s, and .15s!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 16, 2022 10:21 am

Thanks for the detailed instructions and cautions to retrofit an Enya NVA to the Medallions, @sosam117, and reason why @ffkiwi. I didn't know Cox was out-of-stock. In future when I need, now have the hip pocket info to do. Smile

Recently I replaced a Testor's .049 front rotor NVA with a Cox Surestart horseshoe back NVA, but haven't tested it yet. It was the only way I knew how to fix a bungled NVA. Doh!

Converted a couple Testor's McCoy .35 Red Heads to rear NVA with an Evolution .46 rear NVA (1-inch bolt spacing fits the RH's & K&B .35 Stallion backplate spacing perfectly). Love the much finer threading, easier to dial in the right mixture. Very Happy

But lo and behold, these are no longer available. China's Sanye factory closed its model engine manufacturing doors 2 years ago. Sad
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Mon May 16, 2022 3:31 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Thanks for the detailed instructions and cautions to retrofit an Enya NVA to the Medallions, @sosam117, and reason why @ffkiwi. I didn't know Cox was out-of-stock. In future when I need, now have the hip pocket info to do. Smile

Recently I replaced a Testor's .049 front rotor NVA with a Cox Surestart horseshoe back NVA, but haven't tested it yet. It was the only way I knew how to fix a bungled NVA. Doh!

Converted a couple Testor's McCoy .35 Red Heads to rear NVA with an Evolution .46 rear NVA (1-inch bolt spacing fits the RH's & K&B .35 Stallion backplate spacing perfectly). Love the much finer threading, easier to dial in the right mixture. Very Happy

But lo and behold, these are no longer available. China's Sanye factory closed its model engine manufacturing doors 2 years ago. Sad

You can get the NVA very easy from Ken Enya (Enya website -- with part number), or MECOA or shtterman. (That's a good thing.)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down