Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_ba12

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:12 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by balogh Today at 5:40 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 2:11 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Today at 6:53 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Today at 3:57 am

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Today at 3:55 am

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Today at 3:49 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:37 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:49 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 4:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Empty
Live on Patrol

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive.........

Go down

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Empty The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive.........

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:23 pm

Using roddie as inspiration I re-visited this natural disaster finally installing an engine that would run in it.

The engines cradle is pretty tight, but the slot that the back-plate fits into is pretty much hogged out resulting in a loose vibrating engine.  Not much I can do about that.  Plastic you know.

First run I did not release it properly and it spun out after a quarter of a lap.  Second try started out well, but spun out after half a lap.  Third try got to three quarters.

Problem is, I made up a tether line from a broken snapped steel wire originally supplied with these and connected the two pieces with a length of string to make fifteen feet.  The string stretches then snaps back creating havoc with the car.  

Got to find some stranded fishing wire and make up a new tether.

I have a movie made in the heat of the moment but it doesn't show much.

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m158]
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m161

Poor guy almost lost his head.

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m162

Last edited by rsv1cox on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Empty Re: The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive.........

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Well, this didn't play to much applause!

Richly deserved........If ya can't get it to go in a full circle Robert, what good are ya!!!

Yeah, well that was then, this is now.

Replaced the string with 22 gauge speaker wire measured to 15 feet and let her rip.

At least 20 circles, probably about 25.  I didn't notice between trying to capture pictures, videos, and jumping up and down.  Ran fast first 15 or so laps, first one coming within an inch or two of my flight box.  Then slowed down to whop speed then sped up again.  

Tried to get pictures at ground level.  Got about six showing nothing but asphalt.  Lost it's hood at about lap five I think.

Sorry, it's faster than my camera Smile and the video did not come out at all.

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Loft_a13
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Loft_a11
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Loft_a12
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m163[/url

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19152833/4557]
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m166
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m167

It left it's mark during each circle......
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Empty Re: The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive.........

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Well, dang. I wanted video! I have never seen one running. It’s my all time favorite Cox car, someday I’ll grab one.

I am glad you got some good runs out of it, sounds like you had fun too!

Thanks Bob!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Empty good show friend

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm

looking at these photos is fun an inspired a thought about scale

the natural texture of a rolled asphalt surface.....must seem like driving down a chip n tar road or gravel or in Bob's case Iron mill slag tailings ......in that area sold to homeowners for dirt road topping,,,,,,not sure the correct term, slag, chip, cinder, coke ash????

bob probably knows and the stuff sux is why he has acre and a half of expensive perfect asphalt
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Someday I'll get my son over to do a video Ron.

After months of frustration putting these back together, and old #2 was by far the worst I felt pretty good and was amazed just how fast this thing is. Put's my Roy Cox with a prop driven Cox hanging on the back to shame.

I'm guessing three second laps at 15' radius comes out to be....I'll let you math majors figure the scale speed on that one. Really straining on the wire but no snap back and no problems. I split the speaker wire down the middle and joined the bitter ends to make up the footage. I'll put a stop watch on it someday.

And yes Fred. eleven K worth of what-ever, three inches thick.

Ya still got all your fingers and your toes? Smile

Typing and brain power still intact I see unless wife is taking dictation.

Get well Fred...........

GWF

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Bob My mind works....the rest is --eh-- so so.....some days a hand will work, then not work.....frustrating...I live on these forums
today Renie has me doing therapy with a #2 pencil eraser.....I can actually control what keys it hits....palsy shaky hands just fat finger too much and seen to find that F----ing CTRL key too often and send me to bit hell
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Twins Fred, I'm with you.

Both my hands shake like a leaf in a hurricane. Thank God for spell check or you would be reading Chinese.

GWF

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 pm

Well done Bob. Clapping

There's something quite exhilarating about watching a little car doing circles at speed,
willing it to go faster but also worried it might total itself at any second Damn!

Good to see you back online Fred Thumbs Up
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:12 am

Davenz13 wrote:Well done Bob. Clapping

There's something quite exhilarating about watching a little car doing circles at speed,
willing it to go faster but also worried it might total itself at any second Damn!

Good to see you back online Fred Thumbs Up

Almost did on the first lap Dave.  Good thing that heavy base held steady.

It left a near perfect 30' circle of used castor on the driveway and an almost equal amount inside the car.  Took an effort to clean it up.

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m170
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m169
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m168
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m171

When it lost the hood the suspension lost it's support dropping the car to almost ground level.

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m173
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m172

Cleaned up well though.  Notice the position and length of the fuel pickup tube.  One reason that it ran so long.  Original engines had the tube positioned at the bottom and cut in half.

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m175

Edit add: - Darn, just noticed. When the hood went airborne and hit the asphalt it scratched the PO hand painted #2. Now that bugs me. Smile I think,in my haste I forgot to latch the hood down before I let it go.

Check out all the broken spokes too. Nothing on this car was solid when I got it. Gonna need more epoxy and plastic glue if I'm going to run it again.

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m174

Back to the drawing boards.

The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m176
The number 2 Cox Mercedes - It's alive......... Cox_m177
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Frizzen Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:07 am

I can't blame the driver for not wanting to do laps when the wire was trying to strangle him!

Still looks good with the race damage. What racecar finishes a race still looking pretty and not needing cleaned up before it's pushed to the winners circle?
Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:27 am

Take it as a positive Bob.  With the hood (bonnet) gone engine cooling would have been improved. Wink
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:52 am

If you're going to give it another run, a couple of rubber bands around the bonnet should hold it in place and keep the rigidity of the chassis
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:03 am

Great job! I 'd like to see a video too, I bet Fangio is watching from heaven.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Man it did get oily in there , Good going on the run W/O Video lol! Its all good as long as ur having fun !! I like the speaker wire idea got a laugh out of me (improvise ) Small Cox Logo I just got me one of the engines for that car i had been wanting one for the short stunt tank ! Babe Bee .049 Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Take it as a positive Bob.  With the hood (bonnet) gone engine cooling would have been improved. Wink

Forgot that I'm a pretend Englishman Rod.  I carry that persona only when I'm on the MG forums....Brilliant and jolly good show you know.  And yes, that hood err,,, bonnet is no help when running.  It not only contains heat but burned castor as well.  Makes a mess.  And yes, Fangio got a facefull.

There is a pin on the steering wheel assembly (note the hole in the firewall) that secures the hood and I'm sure that I didn't snap it shut.  The wind got underneath it and ripped it off the pivots.  It was just glued on anyway.  

But the main support for the for suspension is the nose piece held down by two self tapping screws and Jason's replacement posts (white in the pictures.)  These got stripped when the bonnet cut loose.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:49 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Forgot that I'm a pretend Englishman Rod.  
To an Aussie, that should read
"Pom | pɒm |
noun Australian/NZ informal,
a British person.
ORIGIN
early 20th century: short for Pommy."

Strange how we sometimes assume we're all talking the same.  While I often modify my language to ensure it's understood correctly, there are still some things which I won't compromise on, such as spelling.  People may note that I will always spell ALUMINIUM with all required letters in place, as I do with COLOUR.  All I can figure out is that one of your American forebears got lazy when writing these words down and removed the letters he thought were unnecessary.  I also notice that the word TOO (meaning also) is often shortened to TO.  Then comes there/their/they're. I could go on!!

Well Bob, next time you duck out for a drive in the MG, give the windscreen a clean & make sure you put a torch in the boot or the glove box so you can check under the bonnet when those Lucas electricals pack up. Laughing

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum