Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Broken cylinder. . . Cox_ba12

Broken cylinder. . . Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 11:51 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Broken cylinder. . . Empty
Live on Patrol

Broken cylinder. . .

Go down

Broken cylinder. . . Empty Broken cylinder. . .

Post  7Mile Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:28 am

I was removing the glow head on one of my very first engines when (because I didn’t have the correct tool) the soft aluminum of the cylinder bent inwards, making the piston unable to pass through. The extrusions are barely visible but completely ruined the cylinder, any suggestions?
7Mile
7Mile
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Broken cylinder. . . Empty Re: Broken cylinder. . .

Post  aspeed Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:54 am

While it could be possible to take the burr off with a honing stone an a lot of patience, it is best to just get a new cylinder  while they are still available from EX Model Engines or Cox International.  (or used I suppose.  Shipping is usually more than the part)  Bee careful.  The cylinders are soft steel not aluminum. Broken cylinder. . . Uglytd11
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  7Mile Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:28 am

That’s too bad I guess, thanks for the info.
7Mile
7Mile
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:14 pm

While ur ordering that gasket for the SBJ ... Cox inter . is out of stk?? so here you go http://www.exmodelengines.com/home.php?cat=267 Small Cox Logo Matt and them are Good people too !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:27 pm

7Mile wrote:I was removing the glow head on one of my very first engines when (because I didn’t have the correct tool) the soft aluminum of the cylinder bent inwards, making the piston unable to pass through. The extrusions are barely visible but completely ruined the cylinder, any suggestions?

It would depend on whether you have burred the exhaust port or distorted the cylinder. If you were removing the head with something jammed through the exhaust then you may be able to tidy the cylinder up by carefully filing of scraping the burr off. Then again, if you haven't been able to remove the cylinder then that's going to be very difficult.

If you were cranking on the head and holding the crankcase and the cylinder has twisted and distorted, then it's finished- no chance of ever using that cylinder again.

Just remember, heat always helps when dismantling these engines.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  7Mile Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:49 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
7Mile wrote:I was removing the glow head on one of my very first engines when (because I didn’t have the correct tool) the soft aluminum of the cylinder bent inwards, making the piston unable to pass through. The extrusions are barely visible but completely ruined the cylinder, any suggestions?

It would depend on whether you have burred the exhaust port or distorted the cylinder.  If you were removing the head with something jammed through the exhaust then you may be able to tidy the cylinder up by carefully filing of scraping the burr off.  Then again, if you haven't been able to remove the cylinder then that's going to be very difficult.

If you were cranking on the head and holding the crankcase and the cylinder has twisted and distorted, then it's finished- no chance of ever using that cylinder again.

Heat? Can you elaborate?
7Mile
7Mile
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:26 am

7Mile wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:

It would depend on whether you have burred the exhaust port or distorted the cylinder.  If you were removing the head with something jammed through the exhaust then you may be able to tidy the cylinder up by carefully filing of scraping the burr off.  Then again, if you haven't been able to remove the cylinder then that's going to be very difficult.

Heat? Can you elaborate?

Warm it up. You can use a heat gun (paint stripper) or even a small gas torch. (keep away from plastic parts of course.) Castor oil acts like a glue and often makes it really hard to dismantle an engine. The heat softens up the castor oil gum and the expansion of the metal due to heat, followed by contraction as it cools, usually allows even the tightest head or cylinder to be removed more easily.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:46 am

If you can get the back off...pull the connecting rod off the crank then remove the whole jammed assembly.

These are TD instructions. OP did not state what the engine was.

The backplate threads in.  Clamp a piece of thin barstock that properly fits the slots of the backplate in a vise with enough sticking up.  Heat the back with a heat gun.  Wrap the rest of the motor in rag.  Then use body weight to keep the heated engine on the tool locked in the vise and walk around the engine to break it free.  1/4 to 1 full turn usually makes it come apart the rest of the way with much less effort.

Bubbling castor goo is the correct temperature.  About 250F

The case is the real value as the other parts can be obtained relatively easy.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down