Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Placement of gasket killer bee  backpiate Cox_ba12

Placement of gasket killer bee  backpiate Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -June 2024-
by Admin Today at 5:20 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 4:12 pm

» The Mighty Jackson
by rsv1cox Today at 4:04 pm

» Pool music.. on a beautiful afternoon..
by roddie Today at 2:16 pm

» Babe Bee / Golden Bee parts
by carolinaguy Today at 1:13 pm

» Kofuku Maru Fishing Boat Model
by Levent Suberk Today at 11:52 am

» coreflute help
by Ken Cook Today at 10:35 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by HalfaDave Today at 7:15 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 4:04 pm

» S.M.A.L.L. 2024
by balogh Yesterday at 12:21 am

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Fri May 31, 2024 4:10 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Placement of gasket killer bee  backpiate Empty
Live on Patrol

Placement of gasket killer bee backpiate

Go down

Placement of gasket killer bee  backpiate Empty Placement of gasket killer bee backpiate

Post  rex f. Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:23 am

Nowone seems to reallse the value of placing the kb backplate
Gasket between mount & retainer instead of between retainer
& crankcase as shown in parts  pix from cox & ex the reason for the correct
Placemen you get a further .005 or the thickness of the gasket in reed
Clearance a bonus of some 200 rpm try it specially when using
A s/s reed no more sticking & so mutch more reliable
Up to you but would like to hear your result

I know mine
 Rex f.
rex f.
rex f.
Banned

Back to top Go down

Placement of gasket killer bee  backpiate Empty Re: Placement of gasket killer bee backpiate

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks for this idea. I didn't try it yet, but opening and closing of the reed take more time in this way. Engine may flood or starting problems?
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Placement of gasket killer bee  backpiate Empty Re: Placement of gasket killer bee backpiate

Post  balogh Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Hello Rex

I actually wrote about it somewhere here - e.g. https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8552-mylar-stainless-steel-reeds-with-circlip-type-reed-retainer#108630 -  and my impression is that with excessive clearance for the reed to travel to and from the seat, part of the air/fuel charge may even be shot out through the venturi because the reed will close too late after the piston starts to move down and compress the crankcase gases. I cannot substantiate this theory of mine because have not tached the various configurations, but the distance between the retainer and seat cannot be increased without causing the said delay in reed closure.

One known limiting factor of COX reedy performance is also related to the finite speed of the reed movement, which is the reed floating where, beyond a certain rpm, the reed floats and cannot follow the opening/closing timing requirement of the engine at those rpm-s
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:52 pm

I wonder if the gasket behind the retainer works better because the reed is closer to the crankcase and not spacing the reed. I only have one of those type reed holders, and did not know there was supposed to even be a gasket. I thought that is what the spacer was for. It seemed like it was a good idea. Most of my Cox stuff was from the 1970s, but I gathered a few newer ones mixed in with other engine deals. Black Widows were a new thing not available when I played with them. Kind of dating myself. As for fluttering reeds, we used to inhale reeds, and sometime doubled them up at the time with the mouse racers. You know that we had to beat Paul at the Nats. Can't remember if we ever did. Probably not.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:26 pm

aspeed wrote:I wonder if the gasket behind the retainer works better because the reed is closer to the crankcase and not spacing the reed. I only have one of those type reed holders, and did not know there was supposed to even be a gasket.  I thought that is what the spacer was for.  It seemed like it was a good idea.  Most of my Cox stuff was from the 1970s, but I gathered a few newer ones mixed in with other engine deals.  Black Widows were a new thing not available when I played with them.  Kind of dating myself.  As for fluttering reeds, we used to inhale reeds, and sometime doubled them up at the time with the mouse racers.  You know that we had to beat Paul at the Nats.  Can't remember if we ever did.  Probably not.

Having the reed retainer closer to the crank may also reduce the volume of the crankcase, allowing for more positive charge transfer. Just a thought.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Placement of gasket killer bee  backpiate Empty Placement of gasket killer bee backpiate

Post  rex f. Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Tne opening & closing of tne reed is totally controlled bt srankcase compression & decompression &
Yes placement as i have indicated does increase crankcase compression&
Performance.
Rexf
rex f.
rex f.
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum