Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Engine troubleshooting Cox_ba12

Engine troubleshooting Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 5:11 pm

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 3:04 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 2:41 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 1:46 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 7:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:03 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 2:31 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 10:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:20 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Engine troubleshooting Empty
Live on Patrol

Engine troubleshooting

Go down

Help! Engine troubleshooting

Post  dirk gently Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi all,

I seem to have an issue with one of my Bees.
It's been in a crash, it was thoroughly cleaned inside and out afterwards to make sure there was no sand in it. It seemed intact.
Since the crash, it still starts easily and runs great when cold. I can maybe get two good runs from it at a time. After that, the engine still starts normally, but quits after maybe 20 seconds, and becomes excessively hot. Even the prop drive plate is way too hot to touch. Priming fuel just boils away instantly on the piston, like drops of water on a hot plate, and I think it even boiled off some of the fuel from the tank through the filler vent.
If anyone has any ideas how to troubleshoot this, they would be much appreciated.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Engine troubleshooting

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:03 pm

There may be some dirt on crankshaft or inside of cylinder. Piston moves freely in cylinder? Crankshaft moves easily? Check crankshaft endplay, because drive plate could be pushed into crankshaft and cause friction with crankcase.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:28 am

Hi Levent,

thank you for all your suggestions.
The piston moves freely in the cylinder and gives a nice positive "plop" when I turn the prop. The axial play of the shaft is normal.
I like the "dirt in crankcase" hypothesis, and by "like" I mean I think it's plausible. That's the one place I haven't cleaned and it's consistent with what I might expect after a crash. What I don't like about it is that it means I have to remove the drive plate, which absolutely horrifies me. How do you even do it? IS any special equipment required?
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:13 am

So no varnish build up?
May have bent the crank or conrod might be bent a bit.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:09 pm

dirk gently wrote:Hi Levent,

thank you for all your suggestions.
The piston moves freely in the cylinder and gives a nice positive "plop" when I turn the prop. The axial play of the shaft is normal.
I like the "dirt in crankcase" hypothesis, and by "like" I mean I think it's plausible. That's the one place I haven't cleaned and it's consistent with what I might expect after a crash. What I don't like about it is that it means I have to remove the drive plate, which absolutely horrifies me. How do you even do it? IS any special equipment required?

Removing is easy and it can be removed in several ways. I use a propeller screw and a vice to remove it. I attach two pieces of plywood on vice jaws with double sided tape.

Here is a useful information:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t3062-can-i-reuse-drive-plates?highlight=Removing+drive+plate
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:51 pm

There is a tool to re-attach drive plate in Cox International:

https://coxengines.ca/assembly-tool-for-cox-.049-engines.html
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Ok, so let's see if I've got this right:
I strip the engine down so that only the crankcase, crankshaft and drive plate is left.
I then screw a prop screw into the crankshaft as far as it will go, making sure there's enough of the screw sticking out to make room for the drive plate as it will be sliding off of the crankshaft.
Then I put the whole thing in a vise, with one jaw pressing onto the crankcase where the tank would normally be, and the other jaw pressing on the head of the prop screw.
As I press, the drive plate rests against the crankcase and the prop screw presses the crankshaft in until it drops into the crankcase.

Is that about right?
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:08 pm

dirk gently wrote:Hi all,

I seem to have an issue with one of my Bees.
It's been in a crash, it was thoroughly cleaned inside and out afterwards to make sure there was no sand in it. It seemed intact.
Since the crash, it still starts easily and runs great when cold. I can maybe get two good runs from it at a time. After that, the engine still starts normally, but quits after maybe 20 seconds, and becomes excessively hot. Even the prop drive plate is way too hot to touch. Priming fuel just boils away instantly on the piston, like drops of water on a hot plate, and I think it even boiled off some of the fuel from the tank through the filler vent.
If anyone has any ideas how to troubleshoot this, they would be much appreciated.

Sounds like its running lean, I would looks for leaks in the intake system (needle/reed/tank/gaskets/etc). Good luck.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=91160

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:43 pm

You are correct in the removal process, but when putting it in a vise to press it apart, put a small block of wood or somathing soft on the rear of teh cramkcase side so as not to damage the case back. And I believe you said it right by stripping the case apart, but just want to re-itterate to make sure the piston is off as well. Don't ask how I know.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:06 pm

dirk gently wrote:Ok, so let's see if I've got this right:
I strip the engine down so that only the crankcase, crankshaft and drive plate is left.
I then screw a prop screw into the crankshaft as far as it will go, making sure there's enough of the screw sticking out to make room for the drive plate as it will be sliding off of the crankshaft.
Then I put the whole thing in a vise, with one jaw pressing onto the crankcase where the tank would normally be, and the other jaw pressing on the head of the prop screw.
As I press, the drive plate rests against the crankcase and the prop screw presses the crankshaft in until it drops into the crankcase.

Is that about right?

Yes and remove piston before as NEW222 says.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:06 pm

NEW222 wrote:You are correct in the removal process, but when putting it in a vise to press it apart, put a small block of wood or somathing soft on the rear of teh cramkcase side so as not to damage the case back. And I believe you said it right by stripping the case apart, but just want to re-itterate to make sure the piston is off as well. Don't ask how I know.....

Right Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Hello friends,

first of all, thank you for all your kind help, I wouldn't have been able to go through with this process without your advice.

I managed to pull the drive plate off the crankshaft. I cleaned the crank and the inside of the crankcase. Prior to disassembly I noticed that if I push the drive plate back and turn it, it grinds against the crankcase, so I lapped the two mating faces using ultra-fine emery paper on a flat glass board, then stropped it with buffing compound. Then it occurred to me the prop would pull the drive plate forward, so it would never actually rub against the crankcase anyway.

I put the engine back together without too many issues, then gave it a test. It completed the first run fine, died abruptly after 10s during the second run. Then it did 3 consecutive full runs turning 15.300k on a 5.7x3'' APC prop, best performance ever. Oh well, I guess it's as good as it's gonna be.

I no longer think the issue had anything to do with overheating, I tested it against another of my engines and it doesn't really seem hotter to touch. Both engines now behave ok and have adequate performance, plus, I learned to handle drive plate (dis)assembly, so all is good.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Hi jack

Post  fredvon4 Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:50 pm

I never understood the tv show Dirk Gently holistic detective agency
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:17 pm

The UK one o the American one?
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:51 pm

THE one episode I saw was the pilot on some direct tv channel-- could have been, and probably was, BBC

I assumed there was some back story I was not privy too and most of that episode was just weird and made no sense to me
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:22 pm

The American one strayed a lot from the books in terms of plot and character design, but was very true to the spirit of the literary original.
I didn't care for the UK one.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down