Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Green Bee Cox_ba12

Cox Green Bee Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Today at 8:30 pm

» Willy Nillie's Shoestring micro racer powered by COX TeeDee010
by balogh Today at 5:17 pm

» You know you’re in Branson, Missouri when
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:12 pm

» Fun Times Keeping Busy With Lead.....
by cstatman Today at 1:59 pm

» I need to go back to RC school..
by cstatman Today at 1:41 pm

» Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?
by Myk Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Scientific Gulfhawk
by roddie Yesterday at 8:59 pm

» Memorial Day 2024
by roddie Yesterday at 8:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:31 pm

» Does this book interest anyone?
by rdw777 Sun May 26, 2024 2:58 pm

» tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. (reset)
by batjac Sun May 26, 2024 9:57 am

» Sold out Cox .049 silencers for sale
by sosam117 Sun May 26, 2024 6:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Green Bee Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Green Bee

Go down

Cox Green Bee Empty Cox Green Bee

Post  dirk gently Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:36 am

Today, I bought a Cox Golden Bee, that's all covered in green goo, presumably from corrosion of the brass backplate, and I decided to call it the "Green Bee". Even the skirt of the piston is green Damn!

Cox Green Bee 20190811
Cox Green Bee 20190810

The glow head is dead, otherwise it's complete. The engine was stuck, so the seller, instead of leaving it with me to sort out, unscrewed the cylinder with pliers, marking the outside of it in the process  Doh!  Thankfully, no other damage seems to have occurred.

The engine is still sort of stiff, and very dirty, so it will be disassembled and soaked in acetone for the night.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Green Bee Empty Re: Cox Green Bee

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Yes the brass will polish back up after a soaking to a golden shine then you have to rub in some
protecting oil to keep it from reverting to a darker state. Good score on the engine it will be a
keeper once your done with it.

Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm

The engine is disassembled and taking a bath right now. The acetone already looks like river Liffey on St. Patrick's.
The glow head sadly is indeed gone, as the seller said it was, I found a replacement in my spare parts box. The needle valve is all gummed up, the fuel intake tube is petrified and the spinner screw is all corroded, as is the reed, but that's fine, it will all clean up or be replaced. The gaskets are shot, no worries, I would replace them anyway. The cylinder is a single bypass port. I was expecting a dual-port, maybe I confused it with the Killer Bee, not sure.
There's massive axial play on the crankshaft, I will have to pull the drive plate tighter into the crank, which I now thankfully know how to do.

Cox Green Bee 20190813
Cox Green Bee 20190812
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Be careful with the backplate - it is not brass but a rather strange alloy with a sealant coating /plating. I think the alloy is Zamac or Mazac. Anyway, it is not robust and doesn't like acid or alkali cleaners.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:06 pm

A single by-pass cylinder is standard for a Golden Bee. Should be a #2.
I agree with Ian. The "brass" finish on the alloy backplate can easily be lost, so be careful with it. Don't try to polish it with abrasive because you'll just remove the plating.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi D.G. and congratulations on sourcing a Cox engine that you're sure to have a lot of fun with! That engine is basically a Babe Bee with an additional 3cc's of fuel-capacity.. and the ability to fly inverted/stunt (control-line).

You may want to replace the fuel-line with the same (vinyl) type as the original. Some modelers choose to reinstall/replace the tiny "coil-spring" which is internal to that vinyl fuel-line. Whatever the case; be sure to orient the "pick-up" end of the line.. at the outermost position of the tank/bowl.. in relation to circular-flight. This is generally at the 9:00 position when assembling the tank with the needle upright.. and while viewing the inside of the backplate. The (Zamac/Mazac??) pot-metal backplate is a part that you'll want to preserve. They're no-longer available "new".. and are superior to the replacement (plastic) type. Take care NOT to over-tighten the 4 "fillister-head" 2-56 machine-screws which thread-into the rear of the engine's crankcase.

The copper (beryllium) star-shaped reed can be re-used.. if it's not creased or porous. I have cleaned them by pinching in-between two small squares of 400-600 grit sandpaper.. and gently rubbing.. a few strokes at a time.. and checking. Once the metal looks clean/clear.. that's enough. Be careful not to bend/crease the reed. It's really better if you can re-use it.. along with its "circlip" retainer that it was designed for. A replacement mylar reed is .003"-.004" thicker.. and may not work correctly, without thinning-out the circlip.

The tank-bowl's vent-tubes work quite well for stunt. The Sig Manufacturing Co's. "Skyray" is a great platform for that engine! The kit is still available from Sig for less than $20 (US)

https://sigmfg.com/collections/control-line-kits/products/sig-skyray-kit

Cox Green Bee Yy1sig10

Best of luck! Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:46 am

Nice find. As Ian said, the backplate is made of an alloy, referred to zamak (or was it mazak?). Anyway, it is mostly used for decorative parts and fittings. Base material is Zinc, other components are aluminum, magnesium and copper. It is easy to cast in complex shapes but not very strong. Without plating, it is easily corroded, and it's natural colour is kind of a dull grey. I have seen them polished to mirror finish though. The material is almost impossible to repair, although I would *think* small holes and cracks could be soldered maybe?

A word of warning, when you start to remove the fuel hose, be very careful. you might want to try to split the hose with a knife, or try to carefully pry the hose off with a small screwdriver or such. I am telling you this because I am still kind of p'd off at myself for breaking the fuel nipple off the otherwise perfect backplate of my late '60s QZ Crying or Very sad

The green stuff is probably just nitro that has absorbed air humidity. I am pretty sure it is not corrosion-related. Fortunately all the parts you need are available. The Golden Bee is equal to Babe Bee when it comes to power, but a #1 cylinder would make it equal (or close) to a Black Widow.

I still don't have a Golden Bee in my collection, seeing yours make me want to put a want ad on the forum again Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:57 am

roddie wrote:
You may want to replace the fuel-line with the same (vinyl) type as the original. Some modelers choose to reinstall/replace the tiny "coil-spring" which is internal to that vinyl fuel-line. Whatever the case; be sure to orient the "pick-up" end of the line.. at the outermost position of the tank/bowl.. in relation to circular-flight. This is generally at the 9:00 position when assembling the tank with the needle upright.. and while viewing the inside of the backplate.

I'm not going to use this engine for CL flying, so I moved the fuel pickup line down to the bottom of the tank. After all you guys told me about how brittle the backplate is, I'm a little terrified - the fuel line was very hard so I just yanked it with pliers to make it move. Hope I didn't hurt the nipple Huh...
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:25 am

dirk gently wrote:
roddie wrote:
You may want to replace the fuel-line with the same (vinyl) type as the original. Some modelers choose to reinstall/replace the tiny "coil-spring" which is internal to that vinyl fuel-line. Whatever the case; be sure to orient the "pick-up" end of the line.. at the outermost position of the tank/bowl.. in relation to circular-flight. This is generally at the 9:00 position when assembling the tank with the needle upright.. and while viewing the inside of the backplate.

I'm not going to use this engine for CL flying, so I moved the fuel pickup line down to the bottom of the tank. After all you guys told me about how brittle the backplate is, I'm a little terrified - the fuel line was very hard so I just yanked it with pliers to make it move. Hope I didn't hurt the nipple Huh...

It's so easy to remove an age stiffened fuel line by simply passing a heat gun over it on low heat a couple of times then just wiggle it off, not straight pull.  Remove the spring filter and soak both in Simple Green while passing a small brush through the tube.  I have done 50/60 at least this way and always re-use them.  Adds up at this volume when they run a couple of bucks from retailers.

Cox Green Bee Cleani10

Cox Green Bee Heat_g10

However, they do take a set and it may make it difficult to re-attach the tank to the backplate.  If that's the case, just position the pickup tube for C/L or R/C/free flight and use the heat gun again to slightly heat the backplate/pickup and reassemble.  The warmed tube will form correctly to the fuel tank.  Ensure the spring/filter is in place.

Congratulations on your purchase, the Golden Bee, probably my favorite Cox engine.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:56 am

Here's something I've never seen before: the fuel pickup line swelled up 5 times or so, and got all jelly-like in the acetone bath.

Cox Green Bee 20190814

It then shrunk back some after drying up. Not a problem, I have a replacement, and I don't have enough engines for the fuel line cost to amount to any significant sum. I will surely do it your way next time, rsv1cox.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 am

dirk gently wrote:Here's something I've never seen before: the fuel pickup line swelled up 5 times or so, and got all jelly-like in the acetone bath.

Cox Green Bee 20190814

It then shrunk back some after drying up. Not a problem, I have a replacement, and I don't have enough engines for the fuel line cost to amount to any significant sum. I will surely do it your way next time, rsv1cox.

Acetone and plastics/etc do not mix.

Brush set is cheap on ebay.  I use that Harbor Freight heat gun, but they can be found less expensive but may not have dual heat ranges.  I couldn't get along without either one.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 am

On the hose i just clip it at the nipple to give it some relief and bend/snap it off . Sometimes the wire can bee a PIA to get out a soak helps, then i just push it out with a pick. A soak for only 15 min.s in some Hobbies #9 gun cleaner does wonders for the back plate Very Happy Hope the engine runs good for you !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:37 am

I do own a double setting airgun, and if even the lower setting is too much, I can use a hairdryer. Anyway, I replaced the fuel line and the engine now runs Beer Cheers
Video of the maiden run:

As always, thank you for all your support!
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Sounds pretty good , maybe after a few tanks through it it will bee more steady> it hard to get all the gunk out when that bad , but it does run cheers Beer Cheers

Last edited by getback on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : miss spell)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Nice Job! Thumbs Up Seems to run good and strong.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Good job on the clean up. Runs nicely.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster