Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. Cox_ba12

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 2:23 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Pinkbeachbomb Today at 2:23 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by Ken Cook Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:54 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 6:52 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. Empty
Live on Patrol

Mixing balsa and plastic. Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited.

Go down

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. Empty Mixing balsa and plastic. Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited.

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:26 pm

After unforgivingly stepping all over Mark Boesens thread of a similar title I thought I would start one of my own.

I have had these two incomplete models for a number of years just waiting for the spirit to move me.  The end of the line and the bottom of the barrel, I had ran out of things to do....hobby wise.  So, off we go.

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P8310018

Getting to like this Cosmic Wind.  Ungainly without the wing, added, it just shines.  

I shaved 1/8" on the diagonal from the leading edge of 1/16" X 4" balsa sheet and 3/4" from the trailing edge coming as close to the original wing as I could make it.   Sealed it with sanding sealer and while still wet clamped it in the plane.

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P8310012
Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P8310013
Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P8310014

When dry I lightly sanded and painted it with several coats of Krylon Gloss white.  I failed in my attempt to use music wire lead-outs as the clamped tubing securing the wires ends tended to hit on the openings.  Used some old Carl Goldberg Dacron instead secured with a drop of CA.  Original model used a single lead-out guide, so I followed suit by cutting a trench in the balsa and epoxying it in.  Fingers crossed that it will hold as I intend to fly this thing.  

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P8310015
Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P2200011
Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P2200010

The engine and fuel tank are clean and appear to never have been ran.  I like the way the wing is secured with a single rubber band at the back of the wing.  Allows the wing to slip back in a crash.

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P8310017

The P-40 is a work in progress.  I'm building the tail section as a module and will epoxy it on.  The landing gear came from a Cox PT-19 split and epoxied in.  Hardest job I have had in a long time getting all those angles to agree.

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P2200012

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P2200014
Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. P2200013
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. Empty Re: Mixing balsa and plastic. Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited.

Post  Marleysky Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Bob, you are well on your way to the wild blue yonder!  Everything looks good to me so far.....except, I think you could, if you want to, add some more camber to the wings! We all know slab wings will work, but adding a rib or two to each side couldn’t hurt and provide a little extra lift.  Here’s what I’m thinking, make a profile of the wing saddle at the fuse and add two outboard ribs glued to the underside of the wing.

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. 0aed7d10

Other than that, I’m waiting for the videos!

Did you ever see Kim’s videos of his Testors Cosmic wind? Yeah, those designers really took to heart that this plane was to be crashworthy!! lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mixing balsa and plastic.  Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited. Empty Re: Mixing balsa and plastic. Testor's P-40 and Cosmic Wind revisited.

Post  Marleysky Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:18 pm

Oh, here I found it. My xfinity Blast is not letting me play the video, but it’s worth the wait!

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7009-oh-yeah-they-call-me-the-breeze-er-the-wind-uh-cosmic-wind-that-is#87877
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:05 am

With mention of the Cosmic Wind I went searching.  How's this?

Ya certainly wouldn't want to stray from the centre of the circle.  Just as well these things can't do loops and wingovers.
I just hope the boys mopped up the castor from the floor when they were finished.
lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:04 am

Adding ribs had crossed my mind Rene, and it would be fairly easy to do, just CA them in and backup with epoxy.  I might do it.  I enjoyed Kim's video and thread.  He posted that about a month after I joined the CEF in June 2014.  Kim's engine is different as mine has a remote fuel tank.  That's quite a chunk of plastic hanging out there, the bolt for balance too. Also the wheel pants added weight and drag. I think mine will be a hot rod. Smile

I still have to add blue and red stripes to the wing to match the tails stripes and perhaps a CEF decal or two.

looking at Rod's video, flying in that controlled environment the little plane performed quite well.  When finished I will weigh mine against the original to see if it lost a pound or two.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down