Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Cox_ba12

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Empty
Live on Patrol

Help...I'm not understanding this auction.

Go down

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Empty Help...I'm not understanding this auction.

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:48 pm

But I bought it anyway.

Spent most of an hour looking for a replacement wheel for my recent Testors Camel, 1 1/4" wheels near impossible to find that would be a suitable replacement.  Until I discovered this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-Testors-Easy-Builder-Spad-S-VII-Biplane-Model-Kit-in-1-35-Scale-4-/202778811403?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=b4oeSSOnkqL9vowt5QWh2peY20M%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=NC

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Testor40

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9200016

Looking at the picture on the box I see a wheel that looks like a ringer for my missing Camel wheel.  Ad says four planes are included in 1:35 scale which I believe is the same scale of my Camel.  Spad is a favorite of mine and the first Quillows model that I built so no big loss.  But four planes in 1:35 for $9.99 sounds to good to be true.

What am I missing?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Empty Re: Help...I'm not understanding this auction.

Post  gkamysz Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Hard to say. Did anyone here win this listing? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-010-Tee-Dee-Glow-Engine-NIB-quantity-6/113887156355? Did you get 6?
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Empty Re: Help...I'm not understanding this auction.

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:56 pm

Well worth it for 6 .010's even if it's the later Leisure Industries edition.  I have just one in .049 but they don't get much love.

Wish I had seen it.

I guess my bottom line question is - is my Camel 1:35 scale too? Looks it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Bob. The SPAD looks to be a static die-cast model. I doubt it's what you're looking for.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Bob. The SPAD looks to be a static die-cast model.  I doubt it's what you're looking for.

Could be Rod, a lot of his other stuff is die cast.

I may have just bought Christmas presents for my great grand sons.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Ha Ha i have about done this and just had to look it up !! Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Screen20
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Screen21 Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo O'hea Enjoy its all in Fun !!

Last edited by getback on Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add hug hehe)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:10 pm

gkamysz wrote:Hard to say. Did anyone here win this listing? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-010-Tee-Dee-Glow-Engine-NIB-quantity-6/113887156355? Did you get 6?
I did not see that Man did you get them??? even if not as advertised get $$ back !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:23 pm

getback wrote:Ha Ha i have about done this and just had to look it up !! Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Screen20
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Screen21 Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo  O'hea Enjoy its all in Fun !!

Thanks Eric, part of what I was looking for.  Saved it.

Not going to help me with that wheel.  I have used a hole saw to cut out a 1 1/4" wheel from pine.  Probably won't work either, as the pilot drill bit makes the axle hole to large and I can't seem to bush it down.  I do have some yellow plastic that I can use for a hubcap though.  Just got to think about it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:20 pm

Bob.
Here's plans for a Neuport 11 with instructions on making the sort of wheel you need.
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Neupor10
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:47 pm

RSV Bob,
What is the wheel diameter? Those wooden wheels of Roddie's may be an adequate substitute. Drill out the hub, sand down the "hubcap" and wheel back-side, and paint (dope) away until it looks like what you have.

I can send a matched pair your way...

Last edited by 944_Jim on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : CRS...Can't Remember $#!+ Disease..sorry Ron, er, Roddie!)
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:27 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if Testors re-used the molds to make plastic static model kits.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Bob, whenever I make a wheel using a holesaw as you have tried, I use a piece of 3/4" stock and set the pilot bit just protruding past the teeth. Put the holesaw in a drill press and start drilling. Once the teeth are into the stock, remove the pilot bit and continue drilling. Don't drill all the way through but drill it fairly deep. I then take a piece of 1/4" tubing and insert it into the pilot bit hole. I have a Starrett auto center punch which fits the ID of the aluminum tubing perfectly and punch a prick mark into the wood. This will retain the center of the piece later. Rip the desired thickness for the wheel and you now have a wheel without a 1/4" hole in it. Now you can drill the wheel to the desired axle size using the prick mark.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:05 pm

getback wrote:
gkamysz wrote:Hard to say. Did anyone here win this listing? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-010-Tee-Dee-Glow-Engine-NIB-quantity-6/113887156355? Did you get 6?
 I did not see that Man did you get them??? even if not as advertised get $$ back !!

No, I happened across the listing while checking sold listings for some reason or another. The seller has sold several individually since, so who knows.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:22 am

getback wrote:

The seller deleted the Ebay posting due to wrong wording! Here’s his response to my Inquiry:
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. 9e097810

Anyone interested in one at $100 each?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:22 am

First, thanks to everybody for your responses.  

This is getting complicated.  Hole saws cut to the outside diameter.  Extracting the inner cut from the saw yields something about an eighth of an inch less.  I could make it wider by adding a tread but that doesn't always work, just ask Roddie.  

I have rethought the hub hole and have decided just to dowel it and re-drill to the proper size, paint the wheel black then add a fashioned yellow cone like the original out of hard balsa.  

Both of these cuts are trial pieces.

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9190010
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9190011
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9190012

The plane cleaned up pretty well using just diluted Windex on a soft cotton cloth then wiped dry.  First layer anyway, still need to glue down the exposed edges of the decals, re-string the wings guy wires, and polish up a bit.  It should be display case worthy when finished.  

I would be interested in one of the .010's Rene simply because I would like to complete the set, but they are not looked upon with favor.  Kind of like a Chevrolet 210 instead of the Bel-air.

I have the base Babe Bee as checked on the package.  Others are the 150 Black Widow and 4506 Texaco.

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9190013

Just had an idea.  Using the larger piece, pass a 1/4" machine screw through the hole secure it with a nut, chuck it up in the drill press and using a wood file work it down to 1/ 1/4" and round it off to resemble a tire...…..Then paint, cone, and I'm done.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:52 pm

rsv1cox wrote:  

Hole saws cut to the outside diameter.  Extracting the inner cut from the saw yields something about an eighth of an inch less.  I could make it wider by adding a tread but that doesn't always work, just ask Roddie.  

I have rethought the hub hole and have decided just to dowel it and re-drill to the proper size, paint the wheel black then add a fashioned yellow cone like the original out of hard balsa.  

Just had an idea.  Using the larger piece, pass a 1/4" machine screw through the hole secure it with a nut, chuck it up in the drill press and using a wood file work it down to 1/ 1/4" and round it off to resemble a tire...…..Then paint, cone, and I'm done.

You'd no-doubt enjoy making a replacement wheel as-per the above.

I see that the original style wheel is a snap-fit onto the spindle. Is there as much neg. camber on the opposing spindle/wheel?

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9200011

Be sure to guage the thickness of a replacement-wheel to account for retaining-prongs on the end of the spindle. The wheel-hub "bore" should also be sized to allow for fitting over the prongs while also allowing for any "swelling" of a wooden (replacement) wheel. If the spindle was engineered to accept a common size wheel-hub (IE 3/16").. it would be wise to "sleeve" the hub of a wooden wheel with that size "ID" alloy-tubing.

The wooden wheels that I bought recently are 1-1/8" diameter x 3/16" thickness.

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Wood_i21

They're a very similar profile.. except that their "cone/cap" is integral, rather than a separate hubcap. A "pair" of mine wouldn't look terribly out-of-scale.. but there's the matter of those "prongs" on the end of the spindles. You'd still want to cover/hide those.. I'm sure.

Cone/caps cap be easily made from "index-card-stock" by cutting circles slightly smaller than your wheels' diameter.. and cutting to the center with scissors. Overlap at the cut to form a cone.

I made my custom biplane wheels this way.

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Dsc03311
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. Rog_cu15

The amount of overlap will determine the finish-OD and the "height" for clearing any spindle-protrusion. Sizing the OD for the cone/cap is a matter of trial and error.. but can be done with scrap-paper. A circle-template is an ideal tool to have handy for jobs like this.

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. C-thru10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks Roddie, that's exactly the information I need to make the cone.

The wheel has to be 1 1/4" or there is a lean. Yes, there is more negative camber on that side than the other, attributable to the weight of the engine over time on that side I would think. I will try to correct it by the application of a little heat.

Made a wheel with some success. Wood rasp to size, then sandpaper. Now to paint it satin black and fashion a cone and paint it yellow or maybe find some yellow construction paper or use a yellow plastic margarine containers top.

Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9220011
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9220012
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9220010
Help...I'm not understanding this auction. P9220013
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:11 pm

With any luck, all of those kits will still have slots for pipe bombs and provisions for bell crank mounting still inside of fuselage shells.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:53 pm

WOW! I really like your concentric "rasp" application via the use of a mechanic's socket-wrench. I will adopt that technique in the future. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:35 pm

roddie wrote:WOW! I really like your concentric "rasp" application via the use of a mechanic's socket-wrench. I will adopt that technique in the future. Smile

Yeah, the 1 1/4" socket was just a convenient measuring device because I was to lazy to go back in the house to get my calipers.  I used the drill press (top picture) and the wood rasp to work it down, occasionally checking it with the socket until it fit.  Which is probably what you meant.

I still have to sand (by hand) both sides down to get the profile of the original before I paint and use your technique to do the hub.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down