Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Midway" the 2019 movie trailer Cox_ba12

"Midway" the 2019 movie trailer Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 2:18 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 12:33 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Midway" the 2019 movie trailer Empty
Live on Patrol

"Midway" the 2019 movie trailer

Go down

"Midway" the 2019 movie trailer Empty "Midway" the 2019 movie trailer

Post  roddie Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 pm

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

"Midway" the 2019 movie trailer Empty Re: "Midway" the 2019 movie trailer

Post  NEW222 Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Yep!, I'll be seeing that one for sure!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:40 am

Me Too!!! Hoping the the story and direction can match the great CA!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:38 am

Kim, what is this story matching the great CA? Is there something I am missing? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:02 pm

NEW222 wrote:Kim, what is this story matching the great CA? Is there something I am missing? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I was referring to "Computer Animation".  The high-dollar special effects possible are absolutely great in several films, like Pearl Harbor, Red Tails, and Dunkirk, but the story lines can become almost Sci-Fi.  

Pearl Harbor had our uniformed hero showing up to help fight the Germans in the Battle of Britain, when such dress would be forbidden, because the US had not entered the war...along with a bunch of other "creative license".  Then he and his buddy fight the Japanese during Pearl Harbor (some with tommy guns as they sucker some Zeros in close to a handy tower).  In one scene, a Zero flys down a street that'd be a close fit for a model airplane.  THEN, they team up with JIMMY DOOLITTLE to clobber Tokyo!!

Red Tails was so simple-minded (no one before EVER got the idea that altitude might be an advantage in a dogfight) that those veterans should have been insulted.  In one incredibly stupid scene, a bomber pilot uses some crazy-powerful binoculars to discover the Red Tails were piloted by black pilots.  The white pilots were, of course, made out to be incompetent racists who cost the bomber stream casualties by chasing away after the German pilots, when later, the Red Tales did the same thing in chasing Adolf Galland (I assume) back to his home field...complete with buzz job down the runway to flip him off...but that was OK.

Dunkirk featured a Spitfire whose dead-stick glide ratio would put the greatest sailplanes in the world to shame.  The Spit's engine is dead, but yet the pilot shoots down a diving Stuka, then seems to glide for miles down the beach---all the way to sunset, before landing.  The pilot sets fire to the Spit before he's taken prisoner, with the burning Spitfire as a backdrop.  I joked on the forum at the time...calling it a "P-39 Spitfire" as the propeller of it's flaming carcass appears to be supported by a long shaft...guess the Merlin just melted away...

All of these had super high dollar stuff going on, and the stories of the real heroes could have made for some great movie wathing, and yet, they're made into comic books.  I might just as well have been watching "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow", which by the way, is a GREAT MOVIE!!!

I know---I know---I'm "nerding it to death", but these things just scream at me...so I go to a lot of movies by myself.

Just my thoughts...
"Who's that grumbling old guy in the back row?"
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:27 pm

AI and CA are very close to eliminating or replacing actors. Ninety percent of which are sanctimonious jerks, now to work on Bette Midler.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Thank you for the explination. I always watch Pearl Harbor and Red Tails whenever they are on tv. As for Dunkirk, I have not yet honestly watched it. But I now reckon I will see if I can find it online tomorrow. Thanks again.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:19 pm

I've seen Dunkirk twice -- it's more fictional backstory than fact. But the scene at the end where the Spitfire flew move like a Schweizer really took the cake. Here's hoping the remake of Midway is more factual than foolishness.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:49 am

Yep, that gliding Spit is certainly a stretch, but it's interesting to note that very little CGI was used in Dunkirk, with aerial scenes using all actual and model aircraft.

I have to say, the promo for midway is a little disappointing in that the CGI aerial scenes look pretty obviously CGI.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:13 am

Kim wrote:
NEW222 wrote:Kim, what is this story matching the great CA? Is there something I am missing? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I was referring to "Computer Animation".  The high-dollar special effects possible are absolutely great in several films, like Pearl Harbor, Red Tails, and Dunkirk, but the story lines can become almost Sci-Fi.  

Pearl Harbor had our uniformed hero showing up to help fight the Germans in the Battle of Britain, when such dress would be forbidden, because the US had not entered the war...along with a bunch of other "creative license".  Then he and his buddy fight the Japanese during Pearl Harbor (some with tommy guns as they sucker some Zeros in close to a handy tower).  In one scene, a Zero flys down a street that'd be a close fit for a model airplane.  THEN, they team up with JIMMY DOOLITTLE to clobber Tokyo!!

Red Tails was so simple-minded (no one before EVER got the idea that altitude might be an advantage in a dogfight) that those veterans should have been insulted.  In one incredibly stupid scene, a bomber pilot uses some crazy-powerful binoculars to discover the Red Tails were piloted by black pilots.  The white pilots were, of course, made out to be incompetent racists who cost the bomber stream casualties by chasing away after the German pilots, when later, the Red Tales did the same thing in chasing Adolf Galland (I assume) back to his home field...complete with buzz job down the runway to flip him off...but that was OK.

Dunkirk featured a Spitfire whose dead-stick glide ratio would put the greatest sailplanes in the world to shame.  The Spit's engine is dead, but yet the pilot shoots down a diving Stuka, then seems to glide for miles down the beach---all the way to sunset, before landing.  The pilot sets fire to the Spit before he's taken prisoner, with the burning Spitfire as a backdrop.  I joked on the forum at the time...calling it a "P-39 Spitfire" as the propeller of it's flaming carcass appears to be supported by a long shaft...guess the Merlin just melted away...

All of these had super high dollar stuff going on, and the stories of the real heroes could have made for some great movie wathing, and yet, they're made into comic books.  I might just as well have been watching "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow", which by the way, is a GREAT MOVIE!!!

I know---I know---I'm "nerding it to death", but these things just scream at me...so I go to a lot of movies by myself.

Just my thoughts...
"Who's that grumbling old guy in the back row?"

Hmm, GREAT analysis Kim, and my take-aways too.

And re your last thought in quotes - and I thought I was the only one.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:45 am

The Dunkirk film also includes a scene in a railway carriage. That particular railway carriage was not introduced until the 1970s.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:38 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Yep, that gliding Spit is certainly a stretch, but it's interesting to note that very little CGI was used in Dunkirk, with aerial scenes using all actual and model aircraft.

I have to say, the promo for midway is a little disappointing in that the CGI aerial scenes look pretty obviously CGI.

That's very true, and the flight shots of those Spits were fantastic, but you'd think such a high-dollar film would have had it's facts a little more together.  The opening scene, with the soldiers running through Dunkirk looked like they were on vacation in a resort town.  The city, as I've read, was rubble at that point, having the been extensively shelled and bombed.  This was also a lost chance to showcase the sacrifices of the often maligned French military as they held the line against the Germans, giving the evacuation precious time.

Still, not a bad film...just bit too much artistic license.

AND...the video clip featured a frame of the "P-39 Spitfire"!

"Midway" the 2019 movie trailer P-39_s10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:04 am

For a TV series the computer animation in the Smithsonian's "Air Disasters" programs are nicely done and aid a great deal in understanding of how and why the crash happened.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:16 am

Probably ought to clarify that I'm fine with Computer Animation in measured amounts where there's no alternative, but things go downhill quickly when it's relied on to carry the show.

Back in the 1980's, when everybody was riding the "Top Gun" wave, the horrible Iron Eagle series had no CA. Instead, it relied on the cool machines to make the goofy plots work.

Hoping the new "Midway" will rely on real history for it's story!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:12 pm

Ooooh! Iron Eagle. Another favorite of mine. But I honestly think my favorite was Flight Of The Intruder. Heck, I think I'll pop it in my dvd player and watch it tonight. After Live PD that is!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

"Midway" the 2019 movie trailer Empty I saw it, I saw it......

Post  NEW222 Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:01 pm

Well, an update. Nice weather, check. Snowing out, check. Roads now slippery and icy, check. Still living about 45 minutes away from teh thrater that Midway is playing, check. Driving back to teh city to see the movie on opening night, check! Theater empty, check! So overall, the storyline was very good, some good acting, and some that is so-so. There were definately some funny moments as well as some not-so-funny and serious. Overall, it was an ok movie. Would I see it again, yes. Glad I went out to see it, again, yes.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:39 am

AWRIGHT! Now waiting for it to show in Cape!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks New, playing here just need to get out toss up between that and shooting pool or cut wood cold here no snow yet!! lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down