Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

DC Wasp .049 Cox_ba12

DC Wasp .049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:39 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

DC Wasp .049 Empty
Live on Patrol

DC Wasp .049

Go down

DC Wasp .049 Empty DC Wasp .049

Post  roddie Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Not a new acquisition.. and not sure if I mentioned being gifted this engine by Ian1954 for my 55th birthday. I like this engine VERY much.. but mostly because it's from Ian's homeland of England.

DC Wasp .049 Dc_was10

Just tonight I ran across some photos of the engine, equipped with my homemade muffler.. which I designed for the Cox .049 engine.

DC Wasp .049 Dsc03210

A muffler pressure-tap is pictured below.

DC Wasp .049 Dsc03211

I'd REALLY like to see some domestic aero-models that use this engine.. (hint hint Ian..) Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

DC Wasp .049 Empty Re: DC Wasp .049

Post  NEW222 Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Hey there roddie! That looks like a neat little engine. If you did not say such, I would not honestly have thought it was an .049. I would have guessed a bit smaller than that. Also, as I quickly scanned the pictures at first, I did notice the muffler/exhaust and the first words that came to mind was that 'hey, he put his homemade exhaust on this thing!'. Lastly, for now anyways, is that a propritary glow plug in the head for the Wasp? Never seen one like that before. Thanks and have a good day.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:07 am

NEW222 wrote: Lastly, for now anyways, is that a propritary glow plug in the head for the Wasp? Never seen one like that before.

That's an Enya glow plug by the look of it.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

DC Wasp .049 Empty DC Wasp

Post  ffkiwi Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:16 am

The Wasp first appeared in 1971-and was very much a standard 049-comparable in power to the Babe Bee.....and a much better engine than the DC Bantam it superseded. It also gave rise to the 'badge engineered' Frog Venom (otherwise identical but with 'Frog' on the case rather than 'DC Ltd'..) and internally the same. Two separate tanks were available-a cylindrical one attached to the backplate by a single screw and a bell shaped combined tank.radial mount-which cleverly had the same mounting footprint and lug spacing as the Cox tanked reed valve 049s. these latter tanks can be found plain or anodised red-as can the cylinder head fins. The rarest variant is the DC Bee-where they machined off the beam mounting lugs, fitted the radial tank mount as standard and anodised any parts normally coloured a distinctive yellow.

The Wasp was very cheap in its day-I remember buying one retail here in Dunedin NZ for a mere $7.95 NZ about 1973....that was even less than a Babe Bee from the same shop-and certainly the cheapest engine ever sold new in NZ....still plenty of them around -though you don't see many actually in use on models...

As regards plugs-DC did sell their own plugs-and had a suitable one for the Bantam and Wasp-their EG 150...shown fitted to the Bee below....these were 1.5V and of a fairly squat appearance...their saving grace was they worked quite well on dry cell batteries-which were all most beginners had [DC did sell a suitable glow connector wired for a special Eveready heavy duty dry cell

DC Wasp .049 Dc_bee10
DC Wasp .049 Dc_qui10

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:37 pm

NEW222 wrote:Hey there roddie! That looks like a neat little engine. If you did not say such, I would not honestly have thought it was an .049. I would have guessed a bit smaller than that. Also, as I quickly scanned the pictures at first, I did notice the muffler/exhaust and the first words that came to mind was that 'hey, he put his homemade exhaust on this thing!'. Lastly, for now anyways, is that a propritary glow plug in the head for the Wasp? Never seen one like that before. Thanks and have a good day.

Hi Chancey, also Rod and Chris. Thanks for commenting. Ian gave me the engine with a 2-blade nylon Tornado 5 x 3 tractor mounted. Chris (ffkiwi) mentions its power to be comparable to a Cox Babe Bee. Ian mentions the same in a PM to me.. and adds that the DC engine is a bit heavier. The 5 x 3 prop yields a higher (17.5K) rpm while running on 10-15% nitro. Cox fuel was not recommended.

It's been a while since I've built a model.. but I often mock-up simple 1/2A C/L profile design-ideas in my head. I now have several beam-mount engine options to choose from. Cox, DC, Norvel, OK, OS, Wenmac. A more sedate engine could be the perfect choice for any number of flying scale model designs. I've got a few engines in need of an airplane.. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:47 pm

A 5x3 is probably underpropping it slightly-I found they ran well on a 6x3 ....they were after all just a sport motor-no pretensions to high performance. 15% fuel is about the ideal-and if memory serves is what the AM engine test of the Wasp employed. A word of warning-fitting a silencer-well at least the OEM DC one-caused a massive power loss.Here is a precis'd version of the original 1971 test (originally published in the July 1971 Aeromodeller)
DC Wasp .049 Davis-10

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Thank you for the AM/Chinn engine review Chris. It was especially good reading for me.. seeing that I also have a DC Merlin .075cc diesel.. which has the "U-tube" silencer and starter-spring arrangement mentioned in Chinn's review.

The Merlin.. also gifted to me by Ian on that same birthday.

DC Wasp .049 Dc_mer12
DC Wasp .049 Dc_mer13
DC Wasp .049 Dc_mer14

Here's a frontal of my Wasp that shows a slightly-restricted air-intake.

DC Wasp .049 Dc_was11
DC Wasp .049 Dc_was12

I checked to see if my Wasp engine had any sub-port induction (SPI). I can't see any opening below the piston-skirt at top-dead center.

I have an abundance of 6 x 3 and 6 x 4 propellers; both wood and plastic, that can be tested on this engine.

I haven't run either of these engines yet.. but I'd imagine theWasp .049 will likely be 1st. I have a fresh full gallon of VP/Powermaster 10-22 in reserve for this engine... and a few other old mills that are screaming to be bench-run.  Smile

I have a quart of Kerosene, a quart of Sig castor.. and just need to source some ether in order to blend some fuel for the Merlin. As "stand-offish" as I've been; I find myself more and more curious about compression-ignition model engines.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:47 pm

You will hopefully enjoy diesels-once you acquire the flicking and setting skills....in some respects they are quite different to glows...in others similar. The biggest difference you will find is that the compression adjustment has far more effect in a diesel than the needle setting.....in fact its the primary control-not the needle valve....within limits, diesels will happily run over a wide range of needle valve settings-but for a given fuel and a given prop, only one compression setting will give you smooth peaked out running...obviously for economy and efficiency, you want the needle at optimum as well.....but diesels will throttle quite well by backing off (ie reducing) the compression setting and richening the needle setting.....which is quite useful when reduced power is needed for trimming...

....on the debit side, they do tend to make quite a lot of mess running-and some folks (and most wives!!....) dislike the smell of the fuel and/or exhaust residue. Contrary to popular belief in the US....they are NOT cheaper to run than glows....they have lower FUEL CONSUMPTION....but if that fuel is three or four times the price of glow fuel....then your actual operating costs may not be any cheaper

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:06 pm

I have seen both of these engines pulling the KK Firefly very nicely.

DC Wasp .049 Firefl10

I sould also recommend removing the starter spring and catch plate on the Merlin. While the spring starter does work - if you decide to flick the propeller - it is likely that you will catch one of the sharp points of the catch plate - a true finger ripper!

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Well running hard on the heels of the introduction of the Wasp in the middle of 1971-and actually preceding publication of the Peter Chinn engine test in the July 71 issue of Aeromodeller, the Aeromodeller staff were so enamored of the Wasp (no doubt in comparison with the insipid performance of its predecessor the Bantam) that they designed a fully flapped semi scale P-40 Kittyhawk fully flapped stunter which was published as a full size free pullout plan in the June 1971 issue. A quick search of Outerzone suggests it is not among their extensive listings....but it is plan CL1112 according to the APS plans coding...

22" span....but a bit lacking in wing area IMO.....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 am

It is actually plan number CL1122 and is titled “Kittywasp”.

I have never seen one built or in flight but it is very similar to the KK Radian with a wingspan of 22” and these I have seen flying pattern.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:07 pm

Found the plan

DC Wasp .049 Kittyw10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member