Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

New Cub from EBay  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

New Cub from EBay  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

New Cub from EBay  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

New Cub from EBay

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New Cub from EBay  - Page 2 Empty Re: New Cub from EBay

Post  Eddy Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:41 pm

The Cub .074 fly's on the Baby Clown with a 2/3 oz wedge tank for a good 3 and 1/2 minutes on 42 ft lines. I fly my Fox stunt .35 fuel mix in the .074 which is 28% castor along with 10% nitro, but I do use a hot plug in it. I have a couple other of my planes that I have tried to post pictures along with the Baby Clown here, and I just cant make the pictures to post. I've had the problem before as I just don't know how to post here, some one had me e-mail the pictures to them and they posted for me. You should look for the Cub .099 to add to your flying collection.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:56 pm

Eddy wrote:Hi Mr. nine. Your new .049 A engine has me wondering, as I've for the life of me, have not come across the likes of that. I couldn't even begin to guess about it. A couple things I noticed, the extended needle, the back plate does have the ring and bolt hole for the small fuel tank that some of the B engines came with. With the 2 other missing holes that would hold the red fuel tank, and they were omitted being drilled and tapped at the factory, for a reason, and who knows? It would be interesting to look back at the history of the engine. The .074, if it has a serial number, would date it along with the add on fuel tank as an early model, say from the very early 50's. The aluminum fuel tank was a standard order from the factory right up till closing. I have some .074 engines, and they are quite the powerhouse with a 6x3 or 4 prop, depending what you mount them on. I have an original P.D.Q. Baby Clown, with the 24 in. wing span, and have a Cub .074 mounted, and it is an absolute hoot to fly on 42 ft lines. The .074 and the .099 for sure, are loud and noise engines. I wouldn't even think about using that aluminum prop.  

For what it's worth, I have a Cub .049A with the same mounting set-up, as in, just the two side mounting holes drilled through and the upper and lower tank mounts undrilled. I can't say whether they were from a particular RTF plane or the factory sold some that way, but I've seen a few like that. Makes sense I guess as this was an era where a number of 1/2A engines came with just a two bolt moiunting system.
Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm

I got the McCoy stunt .29 running tonight I had to make a new head gasket for it and get it loosened up, it was stuck tight I soaked the piston to get the rings loose the crank was pretty stuck too, but some heat and chemicals, and a good methanol soak and scrub did it wonders . I put it all back together and It started fairly easy but it needed a little time for everything to get reaquainted but it settled down and is actually a bit of a brute for a .29, for an engine I really wasn't interested in , I think it might just end up in my F&B Vampire for OTS. I got the .074 fired up but it needs a new glow plug it was dropping off as soon as I disconnected the glow driver, but I had fun! 😊
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:22 am

In case you don't know
While we're talking about OK engines, I'd like to pass on the information received through MECA that OK Engines is finally closing its doors after 75 years in business. All sales will end on February 28th, 2020. The company still has a fairly comprehensive range of items such as glow plugs, glow heads, accessories and engine spare parts. Check out their website to see what's available. What will happen to this material after February 28th is anyone's guess..................... wrote:
Found here .. http://adriansmodelaeroengines.com/catalog/main.php?cat_id=0 Sad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddy Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:05 am

Thank you getback, for the link to Adrians site. I wasn't even aware of it, although I may have come across it sometime in the past without much thought. There is a fair amount of Cub engine information that I was not aware of on his site. I am going to spend some time studying what I looked at. I found the large article, which I have not yet studied on the Cub .024 interesting. I have maybe four of them, and have always wanted to get them to run better. I would love to make a Micro Ringmaster to fly u-control with one of these little.024 engines. I do appreciate again the link, once again great stuff there, and thanks.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Well I got to run the .074 with a new plug and it's a keeper, .049A started right up with the original plug, I ran the McCoy again and put a piece of fuel line on the needle valve to stop it from sucking air around the worn threads and it needles much better now, it will get a Super Tigre needle valve if it ends up in a plane. I am going to install a thin head shim to see if it softens up the break a little bit , I think my gasket material may have compressed a little bit. But all in all not a bad purchase for 35 bucks. TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:20 pm

I just rec'd acknowledgement of an on e mail order I placed with OK Engines this morning. On my order I also inquired about the issue of the single intake passage in crankcase of model A's and B's versus the dual port versions. Mr. Brebeck's response is as follows:

"Thank you for your order. We will process this in the next few days. The single intake passage you refer to ( I believe) inside the crankcase is actually better than those with two. It creates a better vacuum draw whereas the two create too much space in the case and is not as efficient in moving the fuel vapor to the combustion area. THe relief under the cylinder shoulder still allows 360 degree porting of intake and exhaust. Difference in RPM is negligible." Ted Brebeck at OK Engine Co.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:19 pm

I can see Ted's point, and it does make some sense, but many people (those who modify for max power) over time have been suggesting that the dual relief crankcase was more powerful.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

New Cub from EBay  - Page 2 Empty Re: New Cub from Ebay

Post  Eddy Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:23 am

I had a similar discussion with Ted years ago, about the possible benefits of two vs one transfer port in the crankcase. His point does merit some thought though. With out the second port, there would be less volume of actual charge in the crankcase. But a slightly higher pressure increase, with the downward travel of the piston for the blow by, like raising the compression in a car's engine. I have in the past, have ground a second transfer port in a couple of crankcases, thinking a mistake was maybe made at the factory. If one has the .049 piston and cylinder out of the crankcase, it really doesn't take much of an eye to see the sharpness of the bends that the air flow has to take to reach the by-pass port at the base of the piston cylinder. Those ports in the cylinder are a topic in it's self. If one takes the piston cylinder in one hand, and lay's it against the outside of the crankcase, as if the cylinder would be seated inside the crankcase. Now study just how little of a swirl area there is at the top of the crankcase threads, inside the crankcase. Add that to the restrictive area at the top of the cylinder threads, just below the three by-pass ports, and compare. If you study this, you will see, with the cylinder base sitting on the top of the crankcase outside, as if actually seated, that there are now, three to maybe four crankcase machined threads inside, that the cylinder screws into, and does not need. These are extra threads that are in the way, and limit and restrict the the fuel air mixture swirling to get to the cylinder ports. These extra crankcase threads can be removed with a dremel, also chamfer both sides of the top of the transfer port, to smooth the bend that the charge has to make. I have seen by doing this, that this will increase the swirl and smoothness of the flow, up to the by-pass ports in the cylinder. Now without more confusion, other simple things can be done to this engine, especially the crank shaft port window. This is an area that has an amount of restrictiveness built in to it from the factory, that is easily eliminated, with much improved incoming flow.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:55 am

Eddy, you spoke of the .099 , I have a .149 that I have run on the stand a few times and have it earmarked for an old Glo Bug kit I have because it still has the radial mount lugs on it. Did they ever make a .099 with radial mounts or are they all beam mounted ? TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:27 am

Yes, I believe they made a radial mount .099. As I recall it was called the "squareback" and is somewhat rare.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

New Cub from EBay  - Page 2 Empty New Cub from EBay

Post  Eddy Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:56 pm

Ti. is correct on the .099 engine. I do not even have one of those. But Cub did make an aluminum mount that converted from beam mounting to a radial mount for the .099. I have a late catalog in front of me, and it shows the aluminum mounting bracket #950 for the .099 engine, and for only one dollar, you can have it from Ted. You even see the brackets show up at swap meets.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:20 pm

I have an .099 "square back" somewhere but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a radial mount, just a square back.  Here's the only picture I can find on the net.
New Cub from EBay  - Page 2 Ge963810

Here's the accessory radial mount.
New Cub from EBay  - Page 2 Gd935510
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddy Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:55 pm

Thank you Mr. Old. You can do what I can't as to the pictures. I do sleep well at night, if I can just post a reply here. That is one fine looking Cub .099 engine, I would just fly the bejeveers off it if I had it. By the way, Just how really good are those Vegemite sandwiches that I hear of down there? You have me wondering up here, in the land of the north, and it is snowing right now like you would not believe, Brrrrrrrr!
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Eddy wrote:Thank you Mr. Old. You can do what I can't as to the pictures. I do sleep well at night, if I can just post a reply here. That is one fine looking Cub .099 engine, I would just fly the bejeveers off it if I had it. By the way, Just how really good are those Vegemite sandwiches that I hear of down there? You have me wondering up here, in the land of the north, and it is snowing right now like you would not believe, Brrrrrrrr!

I can't take any credit for the engines as pictured.  Just copied them off the internet.  I have several .099s.  They seem to run pretty good and I think they're probably one of the lightest .09s you'd find.

Now, you can't make a comment to an Aussie about Vegemite and not expect a reaction. Australia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite
For some reason, Americans more than any other don't seem to be able to warm to Vegemite in any way.  We were all brought up on Vegemite sandwiches- particularly nice with cheese.  My 3 year old grandson is visiting today and just looooves his Vegemite and cheese.

The most common negative comment seems to be about how salty it is.  It's actually a yeast extract made from the leftovers from the brewing process.  I'm not sure that it's actually "added" salt that you're tasting, but more the concentrated yeast.

The biggest problem seems to be how much people use. I would say that it's bad reputation has come from people who think they need to spread it on like Peanut Butter.  "BIG MISTAKE" Affraid or WOW!
Sure, some of us who are well conditioned to the taste can go a little heavier, but it only needs a very light scraping on the bread/toast to get the desired effect.  More butter required than Vegemite.  Just enough to colour the butter is a good start.

I dare say some will try what I said and still think it tastes like axle grease.  I'd be curious to know what Ian thinks regarding Marmite, which is native to Britain and practically the same thing. United Kingdom

Just a small piece of trivia. Originally Vegemite was called "Parwill".  A play on words, with the advertising stating "If Ma-might, Pa-will".  It was soon changed to Vegemite, which is confusing because it has no "Vegies" in it. Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:29 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:..................... It's actually a yeast extract made from the leftovers from the brewing process.  I'm not sure that it's actually "added" salt that you're tasting, but more the concentrated yeast....................

I had never heard of it before and looked it up before reading further down in the post. After reading the explanation on-line and here, I can understand why we Americans may not have taken to it. While it may be a delicacy in OZ, I think I'll just drink my beer and leave the leftovers for you folks down under. Wink
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:54 am

I have heard the song hundreds of times.....In MY head Vegimite sounded like a samich with only veggies.....I love the stuff I learn on this site

thanks
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:18 pm

We almost have an equivalent in the UK - Marmite. It is one of those spreads that people either love or hate and the adverts play on this.

This advert was banned

I like the stuff on bread and dripping sandwiches!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:25 pm

Jesus-- Break out the fainting couches and smelling salts.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:36 pm

literally laughing my butt off on that commercial.....this site rocks every day
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddy Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Dr. Old, Thank you much, really! Your tour was a learning curve for me as to the sandwich. Never, would I have imagined just what a Vegemite really was, and now we do know. It never ceases to amaze me that we can talk half way around the world in just seconds. Thank you again for making my day.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:04 pm

I believe Vegimite is banned in the USA

In October 2006, an Australian news company reported that Vegemite had been banned in the United States, and that the United States Customs Service had gone so far as to search Australians entering the country for Vegemite because it naturally contains folate, a B vitamin approved as an additive in the United States ...

Stories about it abound

"Australians might be banned from buying Marmite because people are getting drunk on it. The days of Vegemite, the Australian equivalent to Marmite, could be numbered down-under because people are using it to make moonshine. Just like its British counter-part the love-it-or-hate-it sticky spread is somewhat of a cultural favourite."

More adverts

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:45 pm

As we grow closer to our international internet neighbors, it does seem that those of us in the USA are not as well off as our european and Australian counterparts. Healthcare and paid holidays are not even close. Now to find we are missing one of life’s greatest table fare MARMITE.  
While we get bombarded by low brow humor with Allstate, Progressive and the worst of worst the Emu and Dave, Liberty Mutuals TV advertising to the lowest common denominator of intelligence, we have been deprived of the medical feature of a laugh a day keeps the doc away, by missing Marmite, and the advertising it would provide.
The breastfeeding mom and the baby’s reaction was the best belly laugh I had in quite some time. The other with Re-homing Marmite jars was a tear jerker.  I may have to take a trip across town to find a jar at the World Market.
Life may be worth living with Marmite....

New Cub from EBay  - Page 2 A090ae10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:13 pm

thanks to Amazon I have a jar or each heading my rural way.....not sure about some of the posts above about banned substance....WalMart and Amazon have lots of offers of vegemite and marmite for usa customers....hell I can mail order worm wood spirits....bet very few get that ref
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 pm

Well that .024 Cub went for $94.50 hope my wife doesn't find out or my collection of engines is going to start shrinking. TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next