Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Winter solstice  Cox_ba12

Winter solstice  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:58 pm

» Tired of it all…
by Admin Today at 8:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Winter solstice  Empty
Live on Patrol

Winter solstice

Go down

Winter solstice  Empty Winter solstice

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:11 am

today in North America/hemisphere.  Longest night, shortest day.  Tomorrow the days start getting longer again. A trickle at first, starts getting serious in mid March.  

The Druids are gathering at Stonehenge even as we speak.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Winter solstice  Empty Re: Winter solstice

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:23 am

Interesting trivia, thanks Bob. Older I get, the more I think they should just do away with Daylight Savings Time. One still has to work, stores still have the same hours. It makes no difference to those working swing shift or night shift. For farmers, it still doesn't make any difference in the work day.

I installed one of those automatic timer switches on the garage driveway lights, so our front yard is lit at night. The nice thing is this has a computer in it, replaces the wall switch. After date and time, you put your longitude and approximate latitude into it. It then comes on at dusk and turns off at dawn, following the sun's day pattern no matter the season.

It cost me $35, but saves me having to readjust the clock switch every season like with the old one.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:45 am

While commenting about winter solstice consider taking a look at the upcoming planetary conjunction if the weather is clear in your region. Even three days ago, both planets were visible at 60 x in my telescope.

And its free to look!
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:09 pm

706jim wrote:While commenting about winter solstice consider taking a look at the upcoming planetary conjunction if the weather is clear in your region. Even three days ago, both planets were visible at 60 x in my telescope.

And its free to look!

Conjunction, yes - Jupiter and Saturn get really friendly in the next few days.

Funny fact. The earth is actually closest to the sun right now during our coldest of days.

Sort of like why does fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing....conundrum.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:20 pm

This phenomenon has affected me more this Fall/year than any other year that I can remember. Less hours of daylight/sunlight equals less vitamin D.. (a certain percentage is required for good health) Look here

The pandemic is only as strong as our (human) immune-systems' weaknesses. Enough about that.....  Huh...

I had read an article some years ago stating that it's important upon waking... that a sufficient amount of light enter our eyes in those first few minutes. This has a direct effect on mood, outlook.. psyche.. etc. The more light.. (simulated sunlight) the better; jump-starting your day with a positive outlook. I believe that to be true.

This year......... Huh... Mad Rolling Eyes What? .... has been a tough assignment. A reality-slap. We're seeing just how vulnerable the human race really is.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:34 pm

So true roddie.

I have looked forward to this day ever since the 21'st of June when each day we get less sunlight.  Feels good to go positive after six months of going negative.  I'm an outdoor person and I love the sunlight.  

Dr. Fauci sp? says to take 600 units of vitamin D per day as he does.  I'm not a health nut but I do take a one-a-day vitamin each day that contains only 175 USD but I go through a gallon of milk each week which should help.  

Winter = SAD  - Seasonal Affective Disorder
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:03 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Winter = SAD  - Seasonal Affective Disorder

Is that when people feel an unexpected compulsion to buy engines, kits and modeling gear? lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:08 pm

Man I am just getting my panties untwisted from a hurricane season the went through two alphabets, English and Phonetic. So I loves short days thank you!! Keep em short!!
BOOOooooooYAAaaaaaaa!!!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Being a member of the Royal Order of the 21sters, tomorrow marks the first day of spring! Winter solstice  Yesss10

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:46 pm

1st day of spring isn"t until July in Mn.!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 pm

First day of Winter when the temperature drops below 60 deg-F (15 deg-C), all the Okinawans are wearing overcoats. (Okinawa is at the same latitude as Miami, FL.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:48 am

OhBee wrote:1st day of spring isn"t until July in Mn.!

So you have different start times to the seasons in the same country?  I would never have guessed that one!  And the first day of Spring is in the middle of the month?  Another first for me.
The whole of Australia has all seasons at the same time. Each season starts on the first day of a month- i.e. Summer starts December 1st, Autumn on March 1st, Winter on June 1st and Spring on September 1st.
I would have just assumed that the northern hemisphere was directly opposite to our seasons Down Under.
Well there you go.  I learned something today!!
I Love This Forum!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:47 am

Well no not really...THEY say its spring...according to the calendar...we don't. Especially when there's still a foot of snow on the ground.....like last year!Winter solstice  20200228.....this is last "spring" !...April
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:20 am

From my FB page:

As we endure the shortest day of the year, our friends in New Zealand celebrated their LONGEST day with a Vintage Control Line Combat and Balloon Bust Meet.

I copied Gerald's great report and photos, but couldn't do the same for the mini-videos which are posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/738474249623510/?multi_permalinks=2096719000465688&notif_id=1608554196571684&notif_t=group_activity&ref=notif
The Kakanui Vintage Combat (longest day) meeting was a lot of fun with a good turn out, flying from 10am continued till 8.30pm.

We flew the balloon burst event in the morning and combat after lunch and general fun flying and trimming till we were totally exhausted. By 9.30pm it was too dark to continue the tidy up.

The big combat carnage I expected did not eventuate partly due careful flying of the 'vintage' models but the day did leave us with a big mess of streamers and balloons pieces over the field.

Flying combat with relatively slow vintage models has its challenges as the old Fox and OS engines we used got hot and finicky with a muffler and seem really slow compared to a modern OS FP25 or Magnum 25GP . My new VooDoo with its Fox 36X was twitchy and relatively slow (compared to my Magnum 36 on pipe) but had a nice mellow sound by comparison.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the balloon burst with the cardboard wall following the series of balloons on sticks , meaning you had to dive down then suddenly climb away before you hit the wall in spectacular fashion.

Otto proved his reactions here while I made the worst crash of the day. Special thanks to my wife Alina who prepared a nice lunch and John Carrodus for his support of the event. Hopefully next year we will get even more people along and a few more daring flyers .

With a bit of luck we will run a C/L fun scale day in the new year here in Kakanui . Hope you all have a good and safe Christmas 🙂

Winter solstice  1_182
Winter solstice  2_161
Winter solstice  3_86

Winter solstice  4_72
Winter solstice  5_55
Winter solstice  6_55

Winter solstice  7_55
Winter solstice  8_46
Winter solstice  9_38

Winter solstice  10_50
Winter solstice  11_41
Winter solstice  12_35

Winter solstice  13_32
Winter solstice  14_32
Winter solstice  15_34

Last edited by Kim on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:23 pm

That looked like a blast!.....and T-shirt weather!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:07 pm

WOW! Thanks Kim! How cool is that??? Becoming a member of this forum (7 years ago) has been my first experiences communicating with people "globally" and on a frequent basis. I'm so used to my native (New England) climate of four somewhat distinct seasons.. that I often forget that it's a lot different down South; right here in N. America. I've never really dreamed of traveling abroad (or with one) tongue but I have been to Aruba and C.D. Victoria, Mexico. I've actually been interested in recent domestic riverboat cruises.. and think that I/we (Lynne and I) would enjoy cruising the entire Mississippi river.. if such a cruise was offered.

Sorry to stray off-topic..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:48 pm

roddie wrote:WOW! I've actually been interested in recent domestic riverboat cruises.. and think that I/we (Lynne and I) would enjoy cruising the entire Mississippi river.. if such a cruise was offered.

Well, I'm parked here on the Mississippi River about 100 miles south of St. Louis, and will be expecting to treat you and Lynn to dinner in one of our restaurants should you come within range!!! cheers
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:34 am

roddie wrote:WOW! Thanks Kim! How cool is that??? Becoming a member of this forum (7 years ago) has been my first experiences communicating with people "globally" and on a frequent basis. I'm so used to my native (New England) climate of four somewhat distinct seasons.. that I often forget that it's a lot different down South; right here in N. America. I've never really dreamed of traveling abroad (or with one) tongue but I have been to Aruba and C.D. Victoria, Mexico. I've actually been interested in recent domestic riverboat cruises.. and think that I/we (Lynne and I) would enjoy cruising the entire Mississippi river.. if such a cruise was offered.

Another native New Englander here. I have been to almost ever one of the continuous 48 and Canada and Mexico, but there is nothing like home.

But I have fond memories of Florida too, spent most of 50 years there. A standout was one January first strolling with my wife in 80 degree weather while friends and relatives were digging out from a historic snowfall in New Hampshire. Went home and jumped in the pool. Longest/shortest day meant little then.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Kim wrote:
roddie wrote:WOW!  I've actually been interested in recent domestic riverboat cruises.. and think that I/we (Lynne and I) would enjoy cruising the entire Mississippi river.. if such a cruise was offered.

Well, I'm parked here on the Mississippi River about 100 miles south of St. Louis, and will be expecting to treat you and Lynn to dinner in one of our restaurants should you come within range!!! cheers

Wouldn't that be great! We wanna try an Amtrak rail-trip too. Maybe we could get a pkg.deal by rail from RI to MN, a river cruise from MN to LA, and by rail; back home from LA to RI... Very Happy

Retirement bucket-list item (priority "high"). If we're lucky... retirement will be in about 5 years from now. I will be 65.. and Lynne will be 67.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:17 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

Another native New Englander here.  I have been to almost ever one of the continuous 48 and Canada and Mexico, but there is nothing like home.

But I have fond memories of Florida too, spent most of 50 years there.  A standout was one January first strolling with my wife in 80 degree weather while friends and relatives were digging out from a historic snowfall in New Hampshire.  Went home and jumped in the pool.  Longest/shortest day meant little then.  

Fifty years in Florida.. Shocked Sheeesh.. RI, NH, FL.. WV.. Was that historic snowfall (NH) in 1978 by chance? The "Blizzard of 78" paralyzed my native area of SE Massachusetts. Snowmobiles were allowed on the roads for nearly a week. EDIT: The Blizzard of (19)78 started on 2/5/78 and broke-up on 2/7/78.

Blizzard of 78 info.

Last edited by roddie on Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : blizzard info.)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:57 pm

yow... 3 years ago thread........
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:50 am

roddie wrote:yow... 3 years ago thread........

I forgot all about this thread, and I posted in it twice. I should have tacked my Solstice thread on here. Gain another few seconds today.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down