Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish Cox_ba12

Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 11:52 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 11:01 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish Empty
Live on Patrol

Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish

Go down

Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish Empty Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish

Post  sosam117 Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:11 pm

As I was pulling down the canvas awning down out of the rafters in the garage, I ran across my Kyosho Jet Stream boat.
After putting up the awning on the front window of the house, (it's a BIG picture window) I decided to pull down the boat and take a look at it to see what condition it is in?
I put it up there in around 1996 or 1997?
Well, the engine was stuck, any rubber was rock hard and cracked. The grease in the prop shaft was hardened.
The plastic was in good shape. The hull, radio mount, fuel tank was good (clean), out-drive was in good shape.
The only problem was the plastic part that holds the engine inside the boat ( the epoxy wasn't holding it any more), and the prop shaft mount that was cracked where the engine and shaft gears are at.
This got broken when I was running the boat years ago. That's why it was up in the garage rafters because of this being broken.

Well, I tried some of the newer glues out there to fix the problems. I also made a brass strip to go over the existing prop shaft (brass tubing) housing.
Long story short, the newer glues worked better that the "old" epoxy to fix the problems. Reglued the engine mount back to the boat's hull and was able to reinforce the prop shaft housing with the brass strip and JB Weld epoxy.

I rebuilt the O.S 10-FP engine. I had the foresight to order a rebuilt kit years ago and I have two extra glow plugs in the original box as well.
Taking the engine apart was no problem until I got to the recoil starter. The shaft was rusted into the crank of the engine.
I was able to remove the recoil shaft, but I had to figure out how to rewind the spring.
My first attempt I wound it the wrong way and I couldn't pull it because it was already tight!
Dam! carefully let the spring out and wind it the other way.
After almost an hour I got it right and the engine pulls o.k. with the recoil starter!

Started to install everything back into the boat. Everything nicely cleaned.
Got the instructions out to be sure I was putting everything back correctly.
Well,  after a week ( worked on it for 6 days straight) I got it all together and it looks pretty dam good!
And the original radio gear works as well!

I never ran this boat much. After running out of glow fuel a few time in the middle of the lake (with no way to retrieve it).
I got the electric version and ran the electric version more that the glow.
The electric version gave you the sign it was going to quit when it started to slow down and you have full throttle in the Rx.

I sold the electric version to a neighbor over 15 years ago. He still has it but doesn't run it much either.

So, attached are the photos of the refurbished Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 00_kyo10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 00a_ky10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 00b_ky10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 01_kyo10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 02_top10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 03_ins10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 04_o_s10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 05_rad10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 06_out10
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish 07_out10
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish Empty Re: Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish

Post  Ken Cook Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:44 pm

I was always a fan of Kyosho products. They were well engineered and well executed. I recall this model. While boats never appealed to me due to not having a area close by to use one, I always enjoyed looking at them. My father having a bass boat had a small electric he would run from his boat. I remember the Aristo -Craft charger he used. He would charge the packs from the trolling motor batteries.

I was flying my FP .10 and I was seeing how low I could fly. I caught the ground and flipped over. This was in New Jersey where even though grass was present, the soil condition is sandy. I put the plane in the car and waited until I got home to wash everything out. I removed the backplate, cylinder head and removed the liner. I had the piston/rod assembly out and when I was looking at it in my hand, the wrist pin slid out and the rod fell out. At this point in time, I wasn't certain to which way it was orientated due to the piston having a hole in the lower portion of the skirt. Having a 50/50 chance of putting it back together, I reassembled it incorrectly. I will say it didn't like to run that way.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:11 am

With that colour, you can see that boat from far. The boat looks good and you did a good job. Why did Kyosho put those gears in there? I can't understand. Your boat has a universal joint on the out drive. On my Grey Thunder, that part is a homocinetic joint. People on RCU say that in sharp turn, it comes apart. Some replace the joint and shaft by a cable. What's the diameter of the propeller?
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:28 am

It always amazes me that model boats contain so much air, I tend to fill the air spaces with foam, much less chance of it ever sinking.

I take an old fishing rod with me when model boating. If/when the boat stops out on the water, I cast a small weight over the boat and reel it in, or, be brave and go for a swim !

The lake is always cold, brrrrrr...

My boats are all slow speed electric or sail, but I have a perkasa waiting to be made, trying to find a small petrol strimmer engine with clutch, and a large wood huntsman with a merco 61 marine.
I made a pull start part winding on the cord like a seagull or elco o/b motor which works.

Have been thinking of petrol/electric for some time.

I prefer smaller lighter boats that I can carry to the lake and thru the gates, the lake is 10 mins away and very very deep. An old quarry pit with levels and weed in the shallows. I have no idea where the shelves end !

That boat looks cool and I bet it goes well.

Happy boating !
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:36 am

It a pretty boat for sure , i seen that too about the gear system and thought it was kind of out dated but i don't know much about model boats , But i do know about rewinds i ahe rebuilt hundreds of them beeing in the small engine repair industry for many a years . Looks like you gave it the attention you said it needed RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:27 am

OVERLORD wrote:With that colour, you can see that boat from far. The boat looks good and you did a good job. Why did Kyosho put those gears in there? I can't understand. Your boat has a universal joint on the out drive. On my Grey Thunder, that part is a homocinetic joint. People on RCU say that in sharp turn, it comes apart. Some replace the joint  and shaft by a cable. What's the diameter of the propeller?

I painted the boat the yellow and blue because at the time, I was working for Caterpillar, and my division (Fuel Systems)
were specially making the injectors for the Cat. Racing boat. A race boat with a diesel engine in it.
They used the top yellow for the Caterpillar "yellow" and the blue for the 2nd color Cat. uses on their equipment.
The plant manager (at the time) commissioned a mural to be painted on one of the walls in the plant where the injectors were made.
It was there for years (about the late 1980's) until it got painted over (accidently - sure?) in 2004 by the new plant manager.
The mural was about 50 feet long and showed the boat bouncing over the waves.
It was suppose to be life size. I think it was? And I do remember it took weeks to paint ( I always wondered the cost of painting it?)
Then just white washed it off the wall by the newer plant manger? (what a waste of money!)
End of the reason for the paint job.

Now for the gears.
I did have problem when I first had the boat running. The "plastic" part that holds both the engine and the one end of the prop housing (brass tubing) cracked on me. Probably from the vibrations? They injected the plastic with webbing in it for the stress, but I don't think they (Kyosho) took in account the constant vibration after some long usage?
The front of the mount that holds the tubing cracks and when it cracks the gears have a chance to slip and strip the gears.
With the vibration of the engine and the twisting (left and right turn) of the out drive (even though there is a "U" joint back there)
cracks the front mount.
It did happen on my boat and I did what what some people would call as a boot strap idea.
I caught the problem before it was a big problem later and stripped the gears.
I made out of brass, a strip to go over the front mount and down into the bottom of the plastic webbing.
I drilled holes in the brass strap so that the JB Weld (structural epoxy) would go through the holes for better support.
This modification has held up well after it was completed and I ran the boat for a couple of years this way (until 1997)

See the attached photo below:
Kyosho Jet Stream GP-10 refurbish Drive_10

That plastic just could not hold up to the vibrations and twisting on the front of the prop shaft.
When I removed the prop shaft from the housing (brass tubing) there was a small groove on the shaft at that end?
The ball bearing was o.k. but there is still something going on there? But my modification has not failed and the gears are o.k.

Now for the prop:
It measured 1.625" (close to 40mm) in length, and the pitch is 3
These were the stock props that came with the boat and years ago.
I purchased additional props which are still in the original package which are two of them.
I always try to get additional (replacement) parts when I purchase things I know that I'll either damage or will need repair down the road.
With the engine, I knew someday it would have to be rebuilt. As for the prop, I figured I would damage the original going over a rock or something in the water?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:35 am

Coxfledgling wrote:It always amazes me that model boats contain so much air, I tend to fill the air spaces with foam, much less chance of it ever sinking.

I take an old fishing rod with me when model boating. If/when the boat stops out on the water, I cast a small weight over the boat and reel it in, or, be brave and go for a swim !

The lake is always cold, brrrrrr...

My boats are all slow speed electric or sail, but I have a perkasa waiting to be made, trying to find a small petrol strimmer engine with clutch, and a large wood huntsman with a merco 61 marine.
I made a pull start part winding on the cord like a seagull or elco o/b motor which works.

Have been thinking of petrol/electric for some time.

I prefer smaller lighter boats that I can carry to the lake and thru the gates, the lake is 10 mins away and very very deep. An old quarry pit with levels and weed in the shallows. I have no idea where the shelves end !

That boat looks cool and I bet it goes well.

Happy boating !

If you take a good look at the front (bow) of the boat, there is a hook mounted there so that I too can use my fishing line.
With an Eagle Claw Practice Casting Plug tied in the line, I cast it over the boat and snag the hook on the bow and reel it back home.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:41 am

Ken Cook wrote:               I was always a fan of Kyosho products. They were well engineered and well executed. I recall this model. While boats never appealed to me due to not having a area close by to use one, I always enjoyed looking at them. My father having a bass boat had a small electric he would run from his boat. I remember the Aristo -Craft charger he used. He would charge the packs from the trolling motor batteries.

I was flying my FP .10 and I was seeing how low I could fly. I caught the ground and flipped over. This was in New Jersey where even though grass was present, the soil condition is sandy. I put the plane in the car and waited until I got home to wash everything out. I removed the backplate, cylinder head and removed the liner. I had the piston/rod assembly out and when I was looking at it in my hand, the wrist pin slid out and the rod fell out. At this point in time, I wasn't certain to which way it was orientated due to the piston having  a hole in the lower portion of the skirt. Having a 50/50 chance of putting it back together, I reassembled it incorrectly. I will say it didn't like to run that way.

I had the same problem on my O.S. 10-FP engine ( for my plane).
It did the same to me, and like you, I also figured I had a 50/50 chance and was wrong.
That was a learning experience for me, so when it was time to take apart the boat motor, I marked everything with a Dremel tool with a small dot for facing the front of the engine (carb.) and took it all apart so that everything went back together the correct way.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down