Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Midwest Lil Snip build Cox_ba12

Midwest Lil Snip build Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:10 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 5:42 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by MauricioB Today at 4:50 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Midwest Lil Snip build Empty
Live on Patrol

Midwest Lil Snip build

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Midwest Lil Snip build Empty Midwest Lil Snip build

Post  FlipStart Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:39 pm

Just getting started, still need to clear of the hobby bench. I got the kit out which I have had for longer than I can remember. I started building it way back when and have the leading edge and engine pod assembly glued together. Looks like I was planning on using a TD engine.

I got out the Lil Snip box and found the plans in that yellow mailing tube along with other plans.
It looks like the parts are still in tack after all these years of sitting amongst my other model kits and stuff.
I'll get that Adcom amp and other stuff off my work bench and take a look at putting the Lil Snip together I'll probably go old school with Titebond. I'll change to a regular fuel tank instead of that bladder setup they show. I'm not going to be combat flying.
That Christmassy looking red, green and purple Slow Stick X wing is probably the last wing I built from a kit.
It does amazing things to a stock Slow Stick. Turns it into a real plane with it's thick fully symmetrical airfoil and ailerons. I covered it with Top Flite Monocot. I think I just happened to have a bit in those colors. Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0210
Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0212
Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0211
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Midwest Lil Snip build Empty Re: Midwest Lil Snip build

Post  FlipStart Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:44 pm

I could only do 3 simultaneous picture uploads so here is the Christmassy wing. I has 2 servos for aileron control.Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0213
Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0214
Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0215
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:54 pm

Nice!! I’ll be curious to know how the diamond airfoil works…. I’ve seen them on old plans but never live action…. Certainly would make building efficient…. I have a twin pack of Combat Kittens but no immediate plans for them….Post progress please…. Best

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:26 pm

Diamond airfoils are pretty poor for control line flying. It goes like stink in level flight but the speed just sheds off in the maneuvers. Offer the wing a lot of power to combat the speed bleed off and it does ok. Other designs are light years ahead. While speed isn't the object of combat it helps. The Riley Wooten Demon is a diamond airfoil. I built one I fly at vintage combat and have had some gentleman's matches using it.

Here's a short video of my son flying it. You can hear the engine unload in level flight and the rpm's come up but in the maneuvers it's pretty steady. Power isn't a real problem here. Fox .36 MK IV on 10% nitro. This engine becomes a monster on 40%.  
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEO0xmmce4w
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:13 pm

Cool video of your boy flying! I don't think I'll be doing that with mine. I'll probably be happy with a few loops and some wingovers and some inverted flight.

Ya know what I am thinking. It's not to late. I could just make a template for a different airfoil (non diamond) and just cut over the ribs. I haven't punched them out yet. And they are pretty typical of the Die Cutting from back then, still in place pretty good. I think I could maybe put a spot of glue on the stamping lines and set a template over each one and draw a line to the template and cut them out. I could just wing it with a French curve (which would be plenty good I'm sure). Or I could get fancy and pick an air foil from the pages and pages of them in my Model Aircraft Aerodynamics book.

It's too bad I don't still have a DOS computer and Dot Matrix printer. I still have the program Foiled Again but it won't run on Windows.Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0216
Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0217
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:21 pm

Thanks for explaining the diamond airfoil performance …..Was curious…… And a video as well…. Yes sir that big block is putting out a lot of thrust!!! Thanks for sharing
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:07 pm

FlipStart wrote:It's too bad I don't still have a DOS computer and Dot Matrix printer. I still have the program Foiled Again but it won't run on Windows.

Check the site Airfoil Tools. There is a huge database plus 4 and 5 digit generators for NACA foils.  Once you've decided what you want, you can either save it as a PDF or print it on a laser printer.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:19 pm

My best guess is a 17% symmetrical airfoil.  I can't speak to the appropriate thickness or particular shape, but Ken Cook has much more experience in tweaking the shape WRT leading edge, max thickness and at what percentage of the chord.

Midwest Lil Snip build Naca_010
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:02 am

The Lil Snip is a neat plane, it certainly has a place. Build it as the plans show and it flies fine. So many things were tried over the years to improve performance in combat. The diamond airfoil in my opinion while it was mentioned improves speed of build, it didn't help overall performance. Don't let my post stray one from building it. I just built one I had in a kit from 35 years ago. I haven't flown it yet. What I believe set the Lil Snip aside from others was it's wingspan. Keep in mind that 1/2A combat didn't have the popularity that .35 sized planes had. The Lil Satan for instance, having a reed engine, too thin of a wing and narrow span didn't offer the same results as the Lil Snip or even the Combat Kitten. I raised the concern of the drag on the wing because it will fly better if you offer it more power.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:00 am

Just subscribing here.  As a kid as mentioned before, I had a TD in a George combat plane which is a copy of the Snip with tail booms.  It had a lot of travel on the one piece elevator and slowed down a lot on the turns.  I liked that, as I could keep up with it and practise squares and stunts.  Later in the year, I gave it less throw with a new horn and it did not slow down at all in the turns, and I could barely control it because of the high speed all the time, and sold it to a friend who promptly crashed it into toothpicks.  Just saying that if it slows down, it is not a bad thing.  Maybe even in combat if you have more control?   Also less throw can speed up the plane in the turns In any case, the main benefit of the diamond airfoil is the quick assembly.  The straight taper on the back slope from the spar is the most important detail for building ease.  I think the straight area on the leading edge to the spar could be why the speed gets scrubbed of in turns.  If making new ribs, a curve up to the spar after the 45 degree square leading edge is all I would do if the speed thing was a consideration.  (it is not for me)
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:16 pm

OK guys, Thanks for all the good information and the tip on the Airfoil program. Actually I don't have any printer at the moment as my bread box HP desk jet died a couple months back and I have been lazy in replacing it.

Ken's latest thoughts brought me back down to the realization that I might as well just build the plane stock. I'm only building a combat wing because I happened to have it in my stash of kits from a long time ago and only want to fly it to bring back memories of flying 1/2 A COX engine planes as a kid with my dad. The chances of me ever flying it in actual competition would be slim to none.
I would prefer a profile full fuselage plane much more than a wing and I will probably get one after I do the Snip.

I can go faster on the build to as I'm not cutting out new airfoil shapes and stuff.

I half to iron the kinks out of the plane though so it will lay flat. I'm thinking I don't really need to build it on the plane though.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:15 pm

Great idea!!!! When you get to the bellcrank, I believe Midwest recommends a wood screw to attach to the platform. I highly suggest a machine screw, preferably a 2-56 allen socket head. In addition, when you place the horn wire into the bellcrank, I would also suggest using the inner most hole to limit and slow the throw. Midwest also pre punched knockouts in the outboard wing inner ribs. Use caution here as the rib is very fragile. The knockouts are for a bladder tube to run bladder pressure. It sounds like yours will be radial Cox powered therefore no need for a bladder.  Smearing glue over the knockout would be suggested. Then sand the backside of the entire sheet which will assist releasing the rib from the sheet.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:39 pm

Hey FlipStart… Plus one more on great idea!!…. I bet you can capitalize on the traits of the wing…. Plus it will build and get you in the air quicker…. Watching this one Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Thanks for all the tips on the build. I don't see a bellcrank included in the kit. I'm pretty sure I have some but there probably in my storage unit, it's just down the street a ways. I may have a handle for 1/2 A but not sure. There is a nice plastic tool box with a handle that I have all my alcohol plane stuff in over in the storage unit, and I have some 1/2 A size fuel tanks in with the .049's in cheese drawer box. I don't think I have a triangle shaped tank though and I'm thinking that is what I will need to steer the fuel to the pickup in all flight modes.

Ken, I will take your advise on the 2-56 machine screw and I'll use a blind nut and possibly Locktite, or just some glue on the threads. I see what you mean about the bladder tube hole, I'll glue the plug in tight unless there is some other reason to remove it.
I'll take a fresh #11 blade and cut the die cut areas al the way through so the ribs come out easily.

I have a somewhat large red control handle but as I remember it has fairly heavy braded wires coming out and I'm worried that maybe a 1/2 A plane won't pull strong enough to straighten out the cables.

I forgot to ask, I was thinking of adding maybe 1/2 an inch to the 2 booms to maybe help slow down it responsiveness a little for these old reflexes of mine. Does that sound like it would work?

I can't remember, What line and how long do you guys fly 1/2 A on? is it 35ft. of Dacron or something like that. I'll for sure half to get some line and maybe make or buy a handle.Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0218
Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0219
Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0220
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:34 pm

I use 42' lines .008" on the TDs. A reedy I go 30 to 35'. I would not really use the dacron. A lot of guys swear by the new braided fishing line now. Not the monofiliment. You may want to check other threads for details on what to use and the # test.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:21 pm

This build will be interesting to watch. I didn't build my Lil Snip. I found it hanging from the ceiling in a hobby shop that was going out of business.

As I found it.

Midwest Lil Snip build Combat15

Thread about it here:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t13449-unidentified-1-2a-combat-plane

Another Snip thread here:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t13451-snip-1-2a-combat-plan

And another one here:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14779-lil-snip-build
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:44 am

I personally wouldn't lengthen the booms. That will induce more tail heaviness leading to the plane porpoising up and down if you can even fly it all. You want your line spacing on your handle to be no greater than 2 1/2" apart. Any further will lead to a over controlled plane. When you install your engine make one of the bolts longer and after the engine is cinched down, bolt some weight on the nose. I see your engine crutch is already built for a beam mounted engine. If a TD is in the picture, you may want to use that bladder tube. The problem with the bladder tube provided is that it;s too skinny. Any modern bladder material won't be able to expand within it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:24 pm

In this area we could get a 1/16" I.D. thin wall surgical tubing that went to about the diameter of a thumb. Worked OK for bladders in a 1/2A. You may want to look in a well stocked drug store before you decide on a tank. I had a hard tank in my old George/Snip TD wing that worked well though.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:27 pm

@aspeed: thanks for the information on the guy wire length and maybe what to use. I'm really hate the thought of using a bladder.
I saw the tank someone made in another thread and think I will go that rout.

@TLAnderson: Thanks for the picture of that Lil Snip. If mine comes out half as nice looking I'll be happy.

@Ken Cook: thanks for all the great information Ken. I found the handle I knew I had. WOW! it's got 5" of line spacing so that is way too much I would think. I may half to just make a small handle from wood.

I got the ribs all cut and punched out. That went good, Midwest's die's are sharp I guess. Pretty good wood in the kit, the spars are fairly straight, one has a bit of a bend at one end but not bad.Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0310
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:37 pm

It sounds like to me that you have the 5" EZ-JUST red handle which is too large for even flying .35 size planes. They also made the Hot-Rock which was just under 4" which suits most sport flyers well. Depending on engine choice, tanks could prove a bit of a problem. If you can get the tank directly behind the engine which I don't think is possible, your forced to go outboard. This can be hit or miss with a Cox TD. If a tank is the option, finding a skinny but longer tank is most helpful. Reason being is that you want the pickup of the tank as close to the centerline of engine venturi as possible. Even offering some engine offset makes the centerline of venturi closer.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:43 am

@Ken: Yes it's the EZ-JUST handle.

It sounds like the little .049 just doesn't have enough draw from the small amount of air passing through it's venturi to draw the fuel against much force from the inertia while in flight. Does crank case pressure being fed to the tank help much? I think I have the .051 drilled for crank case pressure hook-up. I was running it in a little Quickie 200 with that cylindrical tank I made.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:15 am

I went back to my storage unit Saturday and took some stuff back there and got other stuff out. I got the COX engine boxes back out and the small engine prop box out. I brought 2 ACRON bins back too; there might be a bell crank or 2 in one of the drawers.

There wasn't much for U-Control on my black box, just a fuel bulb, my Kraft glow plug guy, some guy wire and the hand control.
I went over to Viper Hobbies but they had almost nothing for U-Control or COX.
Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0221
Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0222Midwest Lil Snip build Img_0312
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:13 pm

HaHa!.. I think I found a CL club here in the valley. The Central Arizona CL Club. It looks like they have 2 fields they fly at and neither the one I saw some CL flyers at years ago, but pretty close to the same area so I bet it's the same club. Their fields are on either side of the 10 but in Avondale which is a goodly distance from me but doable.
And their OK with guests that have AMA cards and I do.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:50 am

That's cool maybe you can hook up with some to bee friends to do some fling , It's always more fun with someone to help or helping out another and the talk is Good ! Very Happy This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:49 pm

I'm thinking I'll drive out to the 2 fields this weekend and see if anyone is flying. Maybe I can get acquainted with some flyers and also find out where they are getting things like fuel, guy wire and stuff like that. Maybe someone has an extra handle they would like to sell.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next