Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Cox_ba12

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Empty
Live on Patrol

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Empty I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:00 am

Two rainy days and time to build this thing that I promised to build some time ago.  For some reason I'm attracted to it and Rene sent me the specs. so I have no excuse.

In keeping with it's appearance I found a couple of old 1X4's that once edged my lawn, that and some luan constitutes the major parts.

Got it all roughed out ready for final sanding then sealer and finish.  Thinking Corsair blue.  I'm just debating whether or not to airfoil the wings.  I fully intend to crank up three Cox Babe Bees tether it and round and round on the driveway and see what happens.  I think Rene's original has a babe bee and two .020's.  

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Wild_c13

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011646
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011648
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011647
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011651
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011650
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011649

Also removed all the accessories on the Evolution and cleaned off the corrosion with Remoil and a tooth brush.  Blew low volume compressed air through the tubing.  Does not allow air through the nipple assembly from tank fitting to NVA, but it does from the nipple to the fuel tank, but not to the NVA.  Strange.

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011652

Last edited by rsv1cox on Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Empty Re: I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things

Post  Kim Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:12 am

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Empty Re: I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things

Post  davidll1984 Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:10 pm

Very Happy  You should install three .049 in my opinion this thing will take off I Love This Forum!  I would like to see it turn Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:33 pm

What a great build!!! :-) Im with David on this one. 3 049 engines and fly it!! cheers sunny Airplane I would love to see it fly. Be like the footage of the spruce goose!! Clapping Its excellent how flying, tethering, RC, Cars, etc. modelling, building etc. brings so much pleasure to people. All the different parts of the hobby offer so much to so many, and it lets you keep your mind free and think of what might be possible and give it a go, just like a younger person would, and Im sure we all were once. Seeing your post takes my mind back to simpler times. :-) Thanks. Thumbs Up

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Thanks all.  

Nah, it won't fly, way to heavy.  But, it should go round and round.  Maybe lift off the driveway an inch.  But, it is undergoing a weight reduction program so we will see, so I will give it a chance.  Find the sweet spot for the tether line right at the CG and let it go.  Going to take a week or so to finish it.  

Found some wheels, and three matching Babe Bees and some propellers.  Light rain when I went out to the garage, then a down pour.  Got caught there.

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011654
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011653
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011655
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:12 pm

That's just awesome! Can't wait to see the finished build, although I already know it will be of very high quality.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:28 pm

Bob,
I'd be impressed to see it skipping around a nail on the ground!

Good job, keep up the pace.

30D41_Jim

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:09 am

rsv1cox wrote:Two rainy days and time to build this thing that I promised to build some time ago.  For some reason I'm attracted to it and Rene sent me the specs. so I have no excuse.

In keeping with it's appearance I found a couple of old 1X4's that once edged my lawn, that and some luan constitutes the major parts.

Got it all roughed out ready for final sanding then sealer and finish.  Thinking Corsair blue.  I'm just debating whether or not to airfoil the wings.  I fully intend to crank up three Cox Babe Bees tether it and round and round on the driveway and see what happens.  I think Rene's original has a babe bee and two .020's.  

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Wild_c13

Looking Good so far Bob!  Just to clairify, the Green Monster did come with three 020 PeeWee engines. Yours being made of recycled Lawn edging will probably need the 049's for the extra weight!  Can't wait to see it running. Kinda like Howard Hughs and the Spruce Goose.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 am

Thanks Rene, that lead engine sure looks like a Babe Bee, I only have (I think) two .020's so I'm not familiar with them.  Is the original all balsa?

I got out early this morning.  Heavy rain last night washed everything clean. A cool forty F and a full silver moon hanging over the western ridge.

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011656

Set the arbor on the table saw to 4 degrees and cut a sacrificial piece to be sure I got the angle right and cut an airfoil on each wing. I think I left enough wood to mimic the original.  

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011659
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011657
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011658

Started on one pontoon, when it looks right I will use it as an example for the other.  This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.  

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011660
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:33 pm

Ok, this is going to cost me money!!!!! Hadn't planned on that with a hundred or so Cox .049's on the shelf.

After getting this ground hugging tether plane fleshed out I'm beginning to realize that three Cox Babe Bees will overwhelm it and it actually might get airborne.  Besides, the .049's sit to large between the wings.  

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011668

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011669

Checked what I have and yes, I only have 2 Pee Wees.  So, off to ebay where I bought the cheapest Pee Wee that I could find $36.99 at Red Baroness.  They sell cheap engines with no guarentees, but I have bought many engines from them and haven't found one that I couldn't get running.  

BTW, you guys are sure proud of these Pee Wees as common ones reach into the $60's/$90's and some into the mid two hundreds.  I never liked them, too fragile and won't fly the kind of models that I like to build.  

$36.99

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Cox_pe10

This one with the anodized fuel tank will match up with Rene's plane.  I am thinking seriously about increasing the dimensions of Rene's plane by 20% and building another for the Babe Bees......wouldn't cost me anything.  Smile

There is another option.  Drill the engine mounts for both .020 and .049 fuel tanks.  Start with the .020's then the .049's and let 'er rip.  Smile  

I'm thinking silver vice green/blue.

Rene..........is your's all balsa?

Last edited by rsv1cox on Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Interesting project…. It could easily fit in Ken Willard’s 8 Easy Projects for 1/A Engines!….. Would love to see a video of it barreling around in a tethered circle…. You’ll have to practice up on getting those engines running together….. Fun Very Happy

My mom got me one of the last rtf Cox airplanes when I was in my early 20’s…. I think it was the Mantis…. Cheap little thing but I had fun with it …. I had just finished a 20 x 40 metal building and the concrete floor was still open….. I put together a pylon and flew it as a tether plane several times before the shop got cluttered up….. Took a few tries to get the elevator set right but once I did was quite entertaining on that short line….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Huh... You could use shorter propellers Is that the .049 tanks are too big? It looks like a plane already
I wouldn't be surprised to see it take off its posible It's a plane after all RC Plane Airplane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:31 pm

I bet it’ll lift off with all three running!…. At least in ground effect…. Shocked
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:51 pm

My idea for a three position elevator control:

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Scan_295

Drill three holes in the fuselage, center hole - neutral, front hole - down, rear hole - up.  Eyelet center/forward provides spring tension for the control rod keeping it in place.

Even have my handy dandy hinge slot cutter in place to cut slots for the hinges.  ......................Once I get this thing figured.

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011670

Could put the two .020's on the wings and the .049 on the nose.  Decisions. Yes David, I could use Cox three bladed props on the wings engines.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:06 pm

Does anyone have a link for Red Baroness ebay mentioned above for cheap non guarantee engines. I have never used ebay and have no idea howto. need to work it out I think.

Sorry this is really thread off topic. But a link would be great.

Thanks.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:10 pm

Yabby wrote:Does anyone have a link for Red Baroness ebay mentioned above for cheap non guarantee engines. I have never used ebay and have no idea howto. need to work it out I think.

Sorry this is really thread off topic. But a link would be great.

Thanks.

Yabby

This will get you there, and yes, they do ship over-seas. Lot's of Cox engines there for less than $20 USD

https://www.ebay.com/sch/red-baroness2/m.html?item=353644211406&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:11 pm

Thanks heaps!! Hand Shake Beer Cheers

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:18 pm

Probably will be surprisingly fast on a fairly short line…. Which just adds to its character…. It looks fairly safe for the engines as well…. I know Cox engines have powered some pretty unorthodox contraptions over their history …. This is spot on…. What would be fun would be to show it to a “ non - model airplane engine” person”….”Oh, What a cute toy airplane “….. Crank it up and turn it loose…. Then would be “OMG”!!!! Laughing
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:18 pm

Yabby wrote:Thanks heaps!! Hand Shake Beer Cheers

Yabby

Whoops, while the ad says Ships to:
United States and many other countries | See details

On some engines they ship to USA only.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:47 am

This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. wrote:
lol! lol! lol! That's different building with pine , somewhat easier sep for the sanding i would think . Looks/sounds like going to bee some fun for sure ! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:57 am

Yes, pine. Makes a mess cutting and sanding. Moved operations outside.

Roughed out an .049 version this morning by increasing all Rene's dimentions by an arbitrary 20%. I might have it finished before the Cox Pee Wee arrives. Went quicker than the .020 version, learned from my mistakes.

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011673
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011671
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011672
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:29 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Yabby wrote:Thanks heaps!! Hand Shake Beer Cheers

Yabby

Whoops, while the ad says Ships to:
United States and many other countries | See details

On some engines they ship to USA only.

Word of CAUTION IF the seller uses EBay Global shipping...you won’t get your engine. Check before bidding.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:35 pm

getback wrote:  lol! lol! lol! That's different building with pine , somewhat easier sep for the sanding i would think . Looks/sounds like going to bee some fun for sure ! This Site Rocks!

What do ya think of that gorgeous lady-like white lattice under the shed Eric.  Beautiful ain't it.  Smile Smile Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:26 pm

I'm sorry if I'm playing a broken record here guys, but I have never tackled one of these before and I'm enjoying it. It's not as if I'm screwing up a five dollar piece of balsa with these distressed 1X4's.

Lot's of table and band sawing today and I still have all my fingers, remarkable as a lot of these cuts are close-quarter stuff. I learned a lesson from my father many years ago when I came home from school and found blood in the kitchen sink and a trail of blood down the stairs to his workshop in the basement. He had cut off the tip of his thumb on the table saw and he and Mom were at the doctors getting it stitched up.

He didn't realize it, but he had taught me a lifes lesson. Served me well as I have spent most of my life around things that can either kill you right now or at least hurt you badly. Be careful out there.

Hard work done on the .049 version.

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011674
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:00 pm

At least the tether airplanes are coming along.

.020 and big brother .049.  .020 has had sanding sealer applied, .049 has not.

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011683
I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things P1011682

Better idea for elevator control rod.  More choices in case one of these actually gets off the ground.

I build Rene's wacky Cox tri-motor pontooned tether car/airplane among other things Scan_297
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum