Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Cox_ba12

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 10:09 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 9:39 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:43 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Empty
Live on Patrol

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come---

Go down

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Empty A gun for Christmas---when the demons come---

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:21 am

Back story

After Desert storm I was sent to Germany as a First Sergeant for a aviation unit that was part of VII Corps already deactivating (the entire US Army VII Corps)

One day a new Sergeant First class arrived ....Ken Prior was a hyper gung ho trooper who served in mostly Air Cavalry Troops and thought he was the most squared away Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) in all of Army Aviation...Well actually he mostly was, except he was way too Black and White, strict "By the Book" who had not yet mastered the art of influencing soldiers to learn and preform without the threat of punishment.

He instantly rubbed me the wrong way by pointing out several of my minor uniform infractions. He Met me in the Command Sergeants Major's office rummaging through the desk drawers looking for a set of E-8 insignia. Ken had reported and been told to wait in the CSMs office until his new First Sargent came up to the head shed. Thus there I was in uniform but looking like oldest Private in the Army.

What he did not know was I had been at work since 0345 checking up on some of my soldiers detailed to an all night marathon in the motor pool preparing vehicle for todays turn in, and as my work ethic, when I arrived ---they were behind, so I pitched in at the high pressure wash rack where I got filthy and soaking wet hours before the Daily HQ briefings. I always had a fresh uniform in my Orderly room and in my haste to get to the HQ briefing/meeting I forgot to transfer my subdued insignia....Knowing the CSM had sets ready for promotions I was looking for them.

He decided to critique the oldest private noting my boots we not spit shined, my blouse (shirt) was not squared to my gig line, and I needed a fresh shave.....I found the rank, went about adding it to my Cover (hat) and Collar of my duty uniform while looking about for CSMs shoe shine kit-- and I only had 15 minuets before the meeting. I ignored this unknown to me SFC, found the boot polish and brush, sat down and got boots acceptably shiny.

In the meeting SFC Prier was introduced and assigned to me in Delta Company. I thought .."great now I have another dick head to break in and train/manage"

Back in my Orderly room with new Platoon Sergeant in tow, I decided to pretend not to be offended by his arrogant behavior when he first saw me. Mostly because I understood what his motivation was. You see a decade earlier I changed from 8 Years in Field Artillery to Aviation Maintenance. Two extremely different cultures and missions. After school I arrived at Ft Hood to take over a Armament Platoon Sergeant in a REMF support unit. NOTHING they did was anywhere near as Military Disciplined compared to my war fighter Artillery days. When I arrived and met my platoon I has every bit a critical as Ken Prier was of me.

the next few years active and after would take at least three more pages. so leap forward from 1992 to 2012. Ken sought me out through Together We Served a website for active and veteran soldiers to to list past assignments and post a page of who your were and what you are now.

I retired in 1996 so 2012 was a few years removed and I was not too terribly nostalgic about my distant past life.

From 2012 to now Ken and I became extremely close, visiting each other and almost daily phone conversations.

On one visit 2017 out here, I took Ken to a range to shoot some of my newer hand guns and while there he fell in love with my Tarus PT-1911 45 ACP. So I sold it to him at friends and family price.

This Christmas I finally replaced it with a Turkish built clone

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- 94111-10

While shopping for new grips I found a site that does custom laser engraving on wood grips. I sent an e-mail with my idea and the veteran owned (Marine Corps) owner sent me back a note about how it was a way cool idea and yeas he could work up some proposed versions for me to select. eventually we had the best wood for contrast and the engraving

I wanted two sets, one my Christmas gift to my best friend and Army cohort.

Yesterday Ken called in tears....here is why

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- 20211211

On each is 1st Sgt (Ret) and our names.

and on the script grip hard to read in the photo

In the darkest hour
When the demons come
call on me brother
and we will fight them together
.....My oath never expires
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Empty Re: A gun for Christmas---when the demons come---

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:46 am

Fred, it is very interesting story.

Turkish clone may be Tisaş?
https://www.trabzonsilah.com/tabancalar/zig-m1911-siyah-krom

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Zig-m110
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Empty Re: A gun for Christmas---when the demons come---

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:55 am

Yes sir Tisas 1911 and I must say for $404 is probably one of the best attention to detail 45 ACP 1911 clones I ever fired.

I have handled and shot (none mine) quite a few of the so called high end 1911s, some costing over $4000

I would put this pistol on a shooting table for a comparison test any day....only time will tell on long term dependability but the mechanic in me thinks these are very well made and looks like very good machining and metal

So far it eats all my different store bought and home reload 45 ACP ammo...and all my various Mfg Magazines fit without any fussing including some 50 year old army issued mags.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:11 am

"an elegant weapon for a more civilized age"
The Turkish pistols get good reviews. I like the 1911, its all I run now. I assembled several over the last few years to learn how they work.
While many are trying to cram as many rounds in a plastic double stack as they can I prefer the single stack 1911.
JMB design from 110 years ago.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:23 am

I remembered M1 Garand and M3 A1 smg. I used these weapons in my military service. I especially like M1Garand. If you used that one then you remember ping sound after last bullet Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:49 am

Very nice Fred, looks like my Kimber for 1/3 the price. Really like those grips too, it will give the 45 special meaning to you and respect from whomever reads the script.
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:54 pm

I gotta say of all the so called high end 1911s I shot I really liked the Kimber best until my Tarus and now this exceeding low cost Tisas.

I prefer a single stack but full length 1911. But here in Texas a bugger to concealed carry. So until new constitutional carry was passed last year I EDC a Ruger LCP II 380. Now I can carry the 1911, still semi concealed but not worry about imprinting or occasional reveal raising arms to reach top shelf or loose clothing ride up / open....Most folk are so unaware of their environment they rarely see it anyway...just that now it is not a sin to have someone see a armed citizen.

I know this invokes some fear from fellow CEF members...but this is not the thread for any political opinion or debate

My first issued rifle was a M-14 7.62 quickly replaced by the M-16 5.56. I never have handled a M-1 but respect that for decades it was a very good rifle in the hands of soldiers
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:28 pm

in the darkest hour.... thank you. I just called a buddy who needed it. thanks for the reminder
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:48 pm

Ken and I both have a daily or weekly list of at risk veterans we reach out to a just let know someone deeply cares and will always be there

Your reaching out has meaning and moved me to tears...each year they come much more frequently

Thanks for your love of your buddy, and reminding all of us ---this [bleep] is real and important...especially in our current self absorbed world where it appears no one gives a [bleep] about each other
So thank you sir for the opportunity to express the above

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:27 pm

Fred,

I have had a plenty of pistols for my adult lifetime, but I never had a 1911.  Don't know why, but I never did.  My .45 ACP was/is a Ruger P90.  So one day about five years ago I figured I needed to rectify my shortcoming and ordered a Tisas 1911.  When I got it, I wondered why it had taken me so long.  It just fit my hand so well.

BTW, my daily carry is a Kel-Tec P3-AT.  Same thing as a LCP.

The Turkish Delight Mark

Last edited by batjac on Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:42 pm

I made very few friends while in the Navy, many aquaintences few friends.

The demons visited my best. Slit both wrists, his wife caught him and dialed 911. Saved him. My compassion was shown by lighting into him. You stupid SOB followed by much love. You ever do that again and I'll kill you. Lot's of laughs and he never did.

My 1911-ish .45

Argentine Ballester-Molina. On-line picture but it could be mine right down to the replacement grips and retaining machine screws. I have an adversion to posting related pictures.

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Ballis10

But this is a picture of the pedestal I built for it. Set's right next to Terry's (Wha Tah Hey) gift to me of years ago. Only pistol that I keep out. Safe in my locked basement workshop. Practiced, remove and load in seconds. Not that it's necessary out here in the sticks with like minded neighbors.

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Dscn1515

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:20 pm

I 3D printed a stand for my Remington 1911 R1 stainless. Hold the gun similar to what you have. A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- 40e22410
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:02 pm

That is awesome Jason

Any chance for two of them commissioned and paid for by me with only slight variation. I know one off production vs mass produced is radically different. Especially since that looks like a very long print

But one for Ken and one for me would be worth $100 bucks sir...
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:08 am

Good work Jason Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:09 am

M1 Garand ping:

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:10 am

Levent Suberk wrote:M1 Garand ping:

I know that ping well Levent. I got my M1 through the CMP. (Civilian Marksmanship Program)

But the sound that impresses me is the report that 30/06 round makes when leaving the barrel. I try to keep it at a minimum as it echos off the surrounding ridges here in West Virginia.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- Empty WOW just WOW

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:39 pm

Over the years I have sent and received many gifts, many to or from folks I have never met in person.

These last few years my Karma has been strong--relevant to CEF was the very nostalgic ButterBean Case folding knife Tracy Johnston sent me, and today member Jason honored me with another very profound gift

In the package were not one but two Colt 1911 45 Auto display stands, and three printed back ends for reeds /beam mount style

Profound because I had offered $100 up above when Jason displayed his Remington version, his note said that these are a gift to me and Ken for our service.

Another great story for my son and any grandchildren in the future of the von Gortler tree

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- 20220110

A gun for Christmas---when the demons come--- 20220111

Dear Jason_WI you sir made me smile and tear up Thank You
I Love This Forum!
Hand Shake
Beer Cheers
United States

PS I plan to have local trophy place laser etch a black painted brass plate with the when Demons come message and other not yet designed symbols like retired Rank and of course our names

Question Jason--what flat black paint do you think will stay stuck to this printed plastic? Thinking of masking a camo pattern and air brushing on
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:23 pm

Painting 3D prints can be difficult. The layer lines and top infill patters like to wick paint and can easily bleed where you don’t want paint. Clear coating helps with this but would make the print glossy vs matte. Acrylic paints work good on these plastics.

There are a number of vinyl heat transfer camo patters that might work better but could be difficult to apply as well with the rounded edges.

I had a failed print here of this and never thought to send it along as a test piece for painting.

Another option is to reprint these in white and you could have the entire camo pattern painted on them.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 pm

Nice Fred, and congratulations to you and Jason.  I Love This Forum!

From what I have read it could take hours to print something like that.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:55 pm

I have some flat (not black) Acrylic air brush thinned paints... will test on bottom to see. If too much bleed will try a few areas with thicker brush paint and small brush. If than works I may Preval spray a clear coat of Diamond Kote that I swear will stick to a candle

As these are only for occasional display.... Both Ken and I use the 1911 as EDC* and truck guns...I think I can get a cool approximation of camouflaged look...If not, the Olive drab printed stands are Military enough

*For Every Day Carry both 1911s have the original grips to use
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:11 pm

Good job Jason.
Nice things should happen to nice people!
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down