Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts Cox_ba12

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 10:52 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:34 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Tue May 07, 2024 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts

Go down

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts Empty Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 19, 2022 7:02 am

and a problem. Five take-down screws, one just snapped in two. "There is always one." Self-tapping, I thought it aluminum, but no, a magnet picks it up.

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013244
Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013246
Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013245
Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013249

Bottom engine compartment screw, where all the castor goo acuminates. Snapped off right at the post. Only way to remove it was to cut the post half way down exposing the broken screw and using pliers and heat remove it. I couldn't use heat initially as the screw was buried inside the plastic shaft which would have melted. Red tube Testors reattaches the post. Plenty of threads left in the body.

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013247
Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013248

Yes, lots of parts used to eject the pilot.

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013250

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts Empty Re: Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts

Post  getback Sat May 21, 2022 6:05 am

Man that baby does have a lot of Parts LOL , once you start putting it back together can you show how the eject mechanize works ? Nasty mess but am sure you can get her cleaned up , see you did fix the screw problem . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts Empty Re: Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 21, 2022 10:35 am

getback wrote:Man that baby does have a lot of Parts LOL , once you start putting it back together can you show how the eject mechanize works ? Nasty mess but am sure you can get her cleaned up , see you did fix the screw problem . Very Happy

It has this brass leaf spring in the cockpit that does the job.  Lots of tension built in that spring.  

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013255

Somehow a third line goes in there, but I don't see provisions for one.  Maybe a sharp "up" on the lines pops the pilot, I don't know...yet.

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013257
Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013256

Seller included these rat eaten instructions that I copied.  Help when I put it back together.  

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013258
Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013259

I checked the "Instructions" list here and didn't' find any, also online so these will have to do.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat May 21, 2022 1:00 pm

Just wanted to be sure you know:  These Restoration Threads are Fantastic!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 21, 2022 3:47 pm

Kim wrote:Just wanted to be sure you know:  These Restoration Threads are Fantastic!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum!

Thanks Kim, a little encouragement means a lot.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 22, 2022 5:18 am

Hey Bob in this ad it shows 3 lines going to the plane one near the front file:///C:/Users/Eric/Downloads/254708481034.html Very Happy he has some pretty neat ads tooo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun May 22, 2022 9:29 am

Kim wrote:Just wanted to be sure you know:  These Restoration Threads are Fantastic!!!

Ditto on that!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 22, 2022 9:40 am

getback wrote:Hey Bob in this ad it shows 3 lines going to the plane one near the front file:///C:/Users/Eric/Downloads/254708481034.html   Very Happy  he has some pretty neat ads tooo

I think that side hole is where that wire goes Eric. They gave a separate spool just for that. PO never used it, just the two-line control. Today I would not use it either. Flying with the handle and pulling on another to eject the pilot is well beyond my brains ability to comprehend.

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013278
Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013276
Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013277
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun May 22, 2022 9:52 am

The bailout ejection line could have been done with a ring tied to line end placed over a finger, say pointer or index on the hand holding the C/L handle.

One flies with the finger loose. When ready to eject, say during a wingover, pulls that line taut with the finger, activating bailout.

The Japanese Zeek was more nimble. After we dropped our 500 pounder onto the deck of the Kaiyomaru, setting off its magazine stores as a hunk of fiery twisted metal on its way to Davey Jones locker. The Zero caught our underside on the way up, setting fire to the engine, stopping it cold with its 20mm cannon rounds.

Over the intercom I flagged my gunner radioman, 1 - 2 - 3, he bailed, then I after him. Fortunately there was a PBY Catalina in the area, who was able to pull us out of the drink.

Nice plane she was, having paid the ultimate price for freedom. After bailing, they'll issue us another, hope this war will end soon.

Popcorn
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 22, 2022 12:02 pm

I'm not sure where you got your italics George, but it reminded me of my most intriguing WW2 Naval event.

From Wikipedia:

During the Battle of Midway, Gay was the first of his squadron to take off from Hornet on June 4, 1942. Gay's unit found the Japanese carrier fleet and launched an attack without any fighter plane support. Although he was wounded and his radioman/gunner, Robert K. Huntington,[3] was dying, Gay completed his torpedo attack on the Japanese aircraft carrier Sōryū, but Sōryū evaded his torpedo. Rather than banking away from the ship and presenting a larger target to its anti-aircraft gunners, Gay continued in toward the carrier at low altitude. He then brought his Devastator into a tight turn as he approached the carrier's island, and flew aft along the flight deck's length, thus evading anti-aircraft fire. He later stated he had a "split second" thought of crashing into the Japanese aircraft he saw being serviced on the flight deck.[1]

It's when a fellow is just gone and knows it, it is just crash into the ship or crash into the sea, and you have enough control to do a little bit more damage, why you crash into the ship.

— George H. Gay[1]
With his aircraft still in relatively good condition, he decided to make for Hornet after clearing the Japanese carrier. However, five Mitsubishi A6M Zeros brought his aircraft down in a hail of machine gun and cannon fire, killing his rear gunner, ARM3c Robert K. Huntington.[1][4]

Exiting his aircraft, and floating in the ocean, he hid under his seat cushion for hours to avoid Japanese strafing attacks and witnessed the subsequent dive bombing attacks and sinking of three of the four Japanese aircraft carriers present.[5]

After dark, Gay felt it was safe to inflate his life raft. He was rescued by a Navy Consolidated PBY Catalina after spending over 30 hours in the water. Gay was later flown to USS Vincennes (arriving June 28, 1942), before being transferred home.[6] Of the squadron's thirty pilots and radiomen, Gay was the only survivor.

Almost a mirror.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun May 22, 2022 5:24 pm

Bob, the kid in me made up that story. I don't know about you, but when I grew up, I had a vivid imagination. We'd play Combat with our rifles in front of our house, one friend would be Cage, another Kirby, we'd select one for Sergeant Saunders and of course another, the lieutenant (who'd wind up sacrificing himself as on the show), another a captured German. We had air battles with our 1/72nd and 1/48th static plastic scale model airplanes.

On the ground we'd set up our plastic men, then shoot at each other's side with a slingshot. Bang!

We'd spend hours, flying our kites, riding our bikes, Horsing Around throwing $0.10 chuck gliders, $.15 rubber powered Skeeters and $0.25 rubber powered with landing gear Sleek Streeks. A friend, Terry would move his Sleek Streek wing all forward, on full power it would do at least 3 loops when there was no or little wind. Airplane

Short of cash, Two Cents we'd share a pop bottle with each other, not even bothering to wipe off the neck. Beers We never thought of germs, yet we didn't get sick Smile doing that during Summer. Warm
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 22, 2022 5:54 pm

Smile Smile

Enjoyed your story George.  Boys will be boys.

My experiences were on about the same level of evil.  Perhaps a little more so.  I ran in the Soap Box Derby for two years keeping my helmets.  One day I brought them over to a friend's house along with my BB gun.  He had a BB gun too.  We played war in his barn hiding out and taking pot shots at each other.  Luckly, no eyes were put out but I had holes in those helmets at the end of the day.  

Same friend.  We would take lighter fluid to the tails of our Guillows models lite them off and launch them into his field.  Lucky again, the fire dept didn't need to be called but it was a thrilling sight.  

I figured out the Helldiver.  

There is a catch on the spring.  A finger pushed down through the cockpit activates it.  Tie the third line to the canopy roller, guide it down through the tube molded into the fuel tank and out the false exhaust duct (or maybe that small hole pointed to by the screwdriver).  When the line is pulled it cams the canopy roller down opening the canopy, releases the catch and sends the pilot flying.  

Simple.  I don't anticipate any problems putting it back together.  Better illustration:

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts Helldi10

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts Helldi11

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013280
Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013279

Elevator control rod activates in a different way from normal.

Cox C/L Helldiver w/parachute guy - disassembly, lots of parts P1013281
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon May 23, 2022 7:03 am

Cool ,A lot cleaner now too , are those your diagrams files ? The instructions sheets didn't have a HellDiver in them ... Maybe get them in there for the next person doing a repo. ?I wonder how the release worked , did you need another line to run to it ? Very Happy I see the arresting hook that is what that's for i guess . Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down