Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 8:53 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:20 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............  - Page 2 Empty Re: W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............

Post  batjac Fri May 27, 2022 9:01 pm

rsv1cox wrote:What I gather is, there is a possibility that perhaps someone had upgraded this very low time or non-running P-38 by replacing the dummy engine with a real engine. Perhaps in the single engine version, Testor did not make any other changes except to mold a dummy engine that bolted in exactly like the original?

This may very well explain the differences in the two engines.

While it is obvious that the two engines are different, and the P-38 was usually sold with just the one engine, I do seem to remember reading many moons ago that the P-38 was available with two engines.  Not sure if by special order, or just limited production runs.  That is why the left nacelle was molded to take an engine instead of just being molded with a dummy engine.

The Lunatic Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............  - Page 2 Empty Re: W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri May 27, 2022 10:16 pm

Nothing Looney Toony about what you said, Mark. Wink
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat May 28, 2022 5:57 am

The P-38 Lighting came out really Nice Bob , see all that worry and easiest one yet lol! This Site Rocks! Boy if you were still fling you would have plenty to do ! Makes you happy I am sure , i got stuff i look at now and then just to know i have it gives me pleasure Old Bugger sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 28, 2022 6:26 am

batjac wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:What I gather is, there is a possibility that perhaps someone had upgraded this very low time or non-running P-38 by replacing the dummy engine with a real engine. Perhaps in the single engine version, Testor did not make any other changes except to mold a dummy engine that bolted in exactly like the original?

This may very well explain the differences in the two engines.

While it is obvious that the two engines are different, and the P-38 was usually sold with just the one engine, I do seem to remember reading many moons ago that the P-38 was available with two engines.  Not sure if by special order, or just limited production runs.  That is why the left nacelle was molded to take an engine instead of just being molded with a dummy engine.

The Lunatic Mark

According to Mark Bosen, a pretty good authority on these, when Wen Mac and Testors merged, (Testors took over) Testors installed a single more powerful engine and a dummy engine.  Wen Mac always offered two engines.  I'm guessing here but there is no doubt that Wen Macs had two engines, just check my picture page 1. Wish I knew more but documented information on these is scant.

Correct one.

W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............  - Page 2 T_p-3810
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 28, 2022 7:49 am

Interesting photo, Bob, your own? When Testor's said more powerful engine, they kept it .049? Also, I noticed they dropped the detail molded cockpit with pilot the earlier Wen-Mac version had.

Haven't seen any posts from @Mark Boesen for a while. Is he still around and how is he doing?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat May 28, 2022 8:00 am

Mark would be the authority on most things plastic nitro models. His yahoo page was invaluable and used it often, his presence is missed because I don't the book of faceplant. These models have been out of reach for me $$$+++. They are probably the most sought after plastic nitro model.

W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............  - Page 2 Screen51
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 28, 2022 8:16 am

Yea, Mark was a compendium of knowledge when it came to Cox models and engines. I dump fakeb00k when it turned further woke, so I don't have touch with the modeling community there. Have a few stories to tell but not here.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat May 28, 2022 8:30 am

Compendium! Ha, had look that up. That he is. Had to dump faceplant when they started censuring my posts.
Zuck is a cuck
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 28, 2022 9:13 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Interesting photo, Bob, your own? When Testor's said more powerful engine, they kept it .049? Also, I noticed they dropped the detail molded cockpit with pilot the earlier Wen-Mac version had.

Haven't seen any posts from @Mark Boesen for a while. Is he still around and how is he doing?

Brian "Mudhen" too on Cox models, probably generics too.  

I think Testors chose to cheapen it somewhat both in labor and materials. Pipe bombs engines etc.  (Not on the P-38) W/M was the Cadillac here.  I don't own it, net picture.  I do not like those silver finished plastic models, I eliminate whenever possible.

Current ebay sale does have the molded cockpit though.

W/M P-38 in the emergency room, prognosis.............  - Page 2 Ebay_p15
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 28, 2022 12:06 pm

Yea, cheapen up Testors did, Bob. I looked at the insignia, looks like cheaper gummed paper, edges separating from the wing, probably wouldn't stand up to nitro and Castor. But I even noticed that Cox prior to Estes takeover was cheapening up on their RTF CL offerings, too with cheaper paper insignias and markings. At least that was my impressions when shopping at Toys-R-Us back in the late 1980's - early 1990's. The models weren't as impressive as they were back in the 1960's and 1970's.

And, got to agree on the all chrome plated finish, it was very delicate, didn't hold up well with even normal handling, cleaning, etc. It was basically eye candy. I guess the positive is that acquainted with chrome made for an attraction to motorcycles with a lot of chrome, I guess that Harley-Davidson can attribute their sales by baby boomers to Wen-Mac/Testors. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2