Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up Cox_ba12

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 3:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up Empty
Live on Patrol

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up

Go down

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up Empty Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:23 pm

Received the same time as Brittany's Tee shirt.  Both very welcome despite the Corsairs side trips to Ohio and Washington D.C. compliments of the USPS.  

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013578

These are about the same size as Testor's "Fly-em" series around a 13" wing.  

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013579
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013580

Complete with elevator.  I had nothing to go by so I guessed at the configuration when I cut out the replacement on the first one.  

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013581
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013582

I have been checking on the evolution of these George, which came first, unright or inverted. Haven't found anything yet.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up Empty Re: Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:47 pm

Bob, regarding which came first, the inverted or the upright Wen-Mac engine, that is a bit of trivia someone out there probably knows, but with all the greats who have passed on, don't know who is left that might know. I suspect the inverted engine was probably first, because many of the earlier CL planes including kits, among them Scientific show inverted engines. Perhaps back then there were enough knowledgeable people to help the neophyte get their airplane up and running.

You also got a nice T-shirt from @BrittanyTrute there, really sharp looking. Regarding when you get around to test flying the light blue Corsair, if it goes down, I guess you can say that this plane came from the 22nd Airborne. Laughing

From: https://www.coxengineforum.com/t1121-model-aviation-humor#16594
Posted by @WingingIt74 on Jan 11, 2012:
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up 2011-08-27-cw0322

lol! But of course, we hope for more than the inevitable. Thumbs Up cheers Cool
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:24 am

The simplistic way of starting a inverted engine is to turn it upside down. There's nothing magical or special to learn. Unfortunately, most don't think that way and flood the engine and throw a tantrum. I have a friend who should have his electric starter surgically sewn to his arm. It's great to see this. I've seen him rip noses off the front of planes, break con rods, you name it. He's infatuated with the thing. I've witnessed him throwing the plane like a shot put across the field. I love it when he's at the field it just makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. How one could let something so minor get you so mad is quite amazing. Some of us take bets to see how far the plane is going to fly without the engine running.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:11 am

That was my favorite cartoon panel too George.  I saved it.  Lot's of old-timers on that thread, all before my time here.  

I have seen that behavior too Ken, I just have to look in the mirror.  Never within this hobby though, mostly carpentry.  Upset at myself for not measuring twice and cutting once.  Dumb me! Dumb Me!

The staining in the Corsair's finish is permenent; alcohol, Simple Green, even Berrymans does't touch it.  I'm leaving it as found.  Engine was castor locked, Berryman's and a little heat freed it and the starter.  Nice engine.  Three #4 machine screws (not self-tappers) held it in.  

The pilot is a mystery, not sure if it's original to the plane.  I cannot find anything on the net about it.  

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013583
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013584
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013585

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013588
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013586
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013587
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013589

Removed the PO applied gold tape.  Neat stuff though, like Scotch tape that held it's color well.

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013590

I think both will wind-up on "The wall". Perfect place for them tucked under the wing of the P-51.

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013591

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:09 am

Bob, I'm a carpenter by trade. Not an easy task by no means. I'm shortly going to begin counting the Mondays I have left in this trade, I'm getting real close to the 11th hour. I've made several mistakes over the years. Retaining knowledge is key and we learn by just doing that. While we make mistakes, we learn even more by figuring out how to fix them. Unfortunately today, it's not about how the end result appearance wise looks. It essentially boils down to  how fast you accomplished the task and how many corners you can cut to do so without grabbing attention. Put as much lipstick on the pig but make certain it doesn't smell like one.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:43 am

Put as much lipstick on the pig but make certain it doesn't smell like one.

That's the story of this current effort Ken. I don't know whether I will fess up to it here or not. Three pieces of broken plastic and a whole lot of balsa. Built to fly though, bellcrank and old-school dacron.

Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013593
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013592
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013594

It's really just for fun and to see if I can and if it will.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:43 pm

Ken Cook wrote:........ I have a friend who should have his electric starter surgically sewn to his arm. It's great to see this. I've seen him rip noses off the front of planes, break con rods, you name it. He's infatuated with the thing. I've witnessed him throwing the plane like a shot put across the field. I love it when he's at the field it just makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. How one could let something so minor get you so mad is quite amazing. Some of us take bets to see how far the plane is going to fly without the engine running.
Popcorn lol! Laughing Very Happy Ha ha it's true sometimes the misfortune of one makes the happiness of the other Not happiness but to make you laugh at least Just a good laugh but then we help him and then the smile comes back to him that's what I would do as I don't like to laugh at the misfortunes of others Sometimes the pleasure can be to see someone having fun too RC Plane Airplane sunny cheers
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:33 am

Ken Cook wrote:Unfortunately today, it's not about how the end result appearance wise looks. It essentially boils down to  how fast you accomplished the task and how many corners you can cut to do so without grabbing attention. Put as much lipstick on the pig but make certain it doesn't smell like one.
Yes, Ken, I noticed that in the industry. Often on minor repairs on the house, I find it better to simply repair it myself than get someone to work on it. It is odd how in this town, one sometimes must resort to hiring someone from Amarillo or Lubbock, Texas, 95 miles away to get things done right. The industry overall leaves a lot to be desired, and contractors love to cut corners, leaving the home owner to either get someone else to fix or use the expensive legal system for remediation. The good craftsmen have difficulty finding a decent company to work for, unless they compromise their morals. Doh!

Ended up repairing a few door sills on my house, only thing holding the bedroom door buck in place was the wood trim surrounding. Over time, the buck gave way with trim splitting and separating, because it was not securely fastened to the framing. There are other instances, but I digress. Razz

rsv1cox wrote:That was my favorite cartoon panel too George.  I saved it.  Lot's of old-timers on that thread, all before my time here.
Given your Corsair is a Marine plane, then I know you will like this bit of humor from the days of Usenet:  Very Happy

USMC vs. CHP (Calif. Highway Patrol), click to open:

rsv1cox wrote:Put as much lipstick on the pig but make certain it doesn't smell like one.
That's the story of this current effort Ken.  I don't know whether I will fess up to it here or not.  Three pieces of broken plastic and a whole lot of balsa.  Built to fly though, bellcrank and old-school dacron.  
Wen Mac Corsair, Tee'd up P1013594

It's really just for fun and to see if I can and if it will.
Nice restoration job for an RTF that has less than 50% of the original remaining. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down